Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Trails in/near Buena Vista

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Trails in/near Buena Vista

Postby denvermikey » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:07 am

My wife and I are going to Buena Vista for the weekend. We would like to find a nice trail to hike. This does not need to be anything that leads to a summit. Loop or in and back just fine. We will not have any snow gear, just regular hiking boots, so being snow free is ideal.
Anyone familiar with BV that can advise on a good trail to hike?

Thanks!
Mike
"Every man dies, not every man really lives" - William Wallace
"Because it's there" - George Mallory
"In the end it's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years" - Abraham Lincoln
"You only live once but if you do it right, once is enough" - Mae West
"Climb mountains not so the world can see you, but so you can see the world." - Unknown

Re: Trails in/near Buena Vista

Postby Mtnman200 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:25 am

From the road to Cottonwood Pass, you could hike to Ptarmigan Lake. In the summer, it would only take an hour or so. Not sure what the snow conditions there are like right now, however.

Postby siop » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:58 am

Just south of BV in Salida there are some great trails around Tenderfoot mountain. Last year at this time they were mostly snowfree, not sure of the conditions right now. This link shows a 13 mile loop for an upcoming race, but describes some of the trails around Tenderfoot, so may have some good info for you.

http://www.salidarec.com/ccrc/run-through-time-photos/2013%20Run%20Through%20Time%20Half%20Marathon%20details.pdf
"because in the end, you won't remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing the lawn. climb that goddamn mountain" -jack kerouac

"here is your chance to find your own way. go on your own. be adventuresome. don't forever seek the easiest way. go the way you find. don't demand trail signs and sturdy bridges. don't demand we show you the mountains. see them and find them yourself. here's your chance to get lost, fall in the creek, find a beautiful place." -randy morgenson

Postby SuperPolok » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:24 am

I'd say the best nice day-hike IN Buena Vista is the Midland Hill Trail:

http://www.summitpost.org/midland-hill/563326

Great views of the Collegiates, great summit area and a very nice hike all around. It's one of my favorites in the area.

Postby lpyle » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:43 am

+1 for the Midland Hill area.
"I believe that if you set out on an adventure and you're absolutely convinced you are going to be successful, why bother starting?"
- Sir Edmund Hillary

Postby GeezerClimber » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:56 am

Without snow shoes, you are pretty limited. Midland Hill, aka "Sleeping Indian" is a fine choice. There will be some snow on the upper portion but hiking boots will suffice. I would guess it is about 4 miles RT with 1700 feet of gain. It has an expansive view from Massive down to the Sangres. I may hike it myself this weekend. Ptarmigan Lake TH is not available in the winter and would require snowshoes anyway.

Dave

Postby denvermikey » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:06 pm

Very good. Thanks guys. Looks like Midland Hill is a good option. Forecast is sunny and in the 40's for Sat/Sun so it may be just right.

Thanks again!

-Mike
"Every man dies, not every man really lives" - William Wallace
"Because it's there" - George Mallory
"In the end it's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years" - Abraham Lincoln
"You only live once but if you do it right, once is enough" - Mae West
"Climb mountains not so the world can see you, but so you can see the world." - Unknown

Postby Rarefied » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:35 pm

+1 that at this time of year Ptarmigan Lake does not match what you are seeking.

Another +1 on summiting “Sleeping Indian” -- the formation directly “behind” or east of BV. Note that it can also be accessed via CR304 which is off US285 east of Johnson Village. Follow it back until it takes a sharp left turn and then proceed another ~2.5 miles until you see one of those brown trail “stakes” numbered 6032 on the right-hand side of the road. From this point it’s 1300‘ and 3 miles RT. The road is car-friendly.

Not too far up the trail you will encounter a fork. 6032 leads to the summit. But 6032A offers a milder alternative if you are so interested. It traverses the face of the formation at a fairly steady elevation and ultimately returns back to the road at which point you can complete the loop by following the road back to your vehicle. At this time, I suspect any snow you come across on either trail won’t be more than lace-deep on your boots.

R

Postby Rick Canter » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:22 pm

+1 more for Midland Hill, fun area in one of my favorite CO towns.

I am a summertime visitor, so one word of caution about this route. Sounds easy to follow, but there are a lot of trail junctions up that-a-way, especially if you start in town at the Arkansas River. I got turned around and never summited. This thread has more information in it than I had available last summer. Be careful at any junctions and have a good hike.

Rick