Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

A-Basin Avalanche

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Re: A-Basin Avalanche

Postby ajkagy » Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:10 pm

huge avy, glad no one was seriously hurt...that might put an end to private group tours
http://www.resortbeta.com - An interactive ski/snowboard experience for all your favorite ski resorts.

Postby Oman » Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:43 pm

What's up with ski patrol at A Basin? A few years back a skier was killed inbounds on an open run (Pali) by a wet slide. Now you have a ski patrol-led group swept up in a slide that engulfs all 15 people and fully buries one. Who decides to skis avy country 15-at-a-time? Yikes.

Postby MonGoose » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:22 pm

I'm having second thoughts about skiing the East wall, that is if they ever get enough snow to open it again.

From now on I will only ski with the Copper Mountain ski patrol:

Postby justiner » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:26 pm

needs more hot tub.
The Long Ranger | STRAVA

"Any effort that has self-glorification as its final endpoint is bound to end in disaster" - Pirsig

Postby jdorje » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:32 pm

Am I the only one that finds prose with one sentence per paragraph unreadable? It's particularly bad when self-contained topics like the death in the same place 8 years ago are split into multiple paragraphs, making it look like the author is talking about different events. It's shocking that people employed for the purpose of writing can be so bad at it.

Looks like a pretty small slide though to my untrained eye. (Edit: I repent this comment.)
Last edited by jdorje on Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Jason Dorje Short

Postby MonGoose » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:37 pm

Definitely not a small slide.

Postby MUni Rider » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:45 pm

jdorje wrote:Am I the only one that finds prose with one sentence per paragraph unreadable? It's particularly bad when self-contained topics like the death in the same place 8 years ago are split into multiple paragraphs, making it look like the author is talking about different events. It's shocking that people employed for the purpose of writing can be so bad at it.

Looks like a pretty small slide though to my untrained eye. (Edit: I repent this comment.)

No kidding! I would venture to guess the boss said: "Get the news out there first; before the other channel!" And haste led us to that mess. That "reporter" had more errors than a teenager who's texting while driving down an up ramp on I-25, or at least your average forum poster. I won't go so far as to say worse than someone commenting at the bottom of a news article. Those miscreants have well earned the title of FAIL.
"It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by the dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions and spends himself in a worthy course; who at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly; so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat." (Theodore Roosevelt)

"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit." (Edward Abbey)

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:35 pm

jdorje wrote:Am I the only one that finds prose with one sentence per paragraph unreadable? It's particularly bad when self-contained topics like the death in the same place 8 years ago are split into multiple paragraphs, making it look like the author is talking about different events. It's shocking that people employed for the purpose of writing can be so bad at it.

I swear they have people send in these reports via telegraph.
"There's no recess and no rules in the school of life" - D. Mustaine

Postby MonGoose » Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:44 pm

BillMiddlebrook wrote:I swear they have people send in these reports via telegraph.

Probably was tweeted by the guy who was buried while waiting to be dug out.

Postby PaliKona » Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:11 pm

Holy crap that's huge. Scary and could have been a disaster.

Postby DArcyS » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:54 pm

Can somebody familiar with A-Basin and the slide plot the exact location on a topo map? From what I gather, it's rather close to point 12,281.

Next