Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

A-Basin Avalanche

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Re: A-Basin Avalanche

Postby Jim Davies » Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:41 pm

inthemtns wrote:Can somebody familiar with A-Basin and the slide plot the exact location on a topo map? From what I gather, it's rather close to point 12,281.

Based on this photo from the CAIC report, it looks like it's a few hundred feet skier's-right of the Montezuma lift, around the run labelled "Long Chute" on the trail map. I believe the antenna visible is on the ridge bump above the Norway lift.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths. -- Steven Wright

Postby ajkagy » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:02 pm

Jim Davies wrote:
inthemtns wrote:Can somebody familiar with A-Basin and the slide plot the exact location on a topo map? From what I gather, it's rather close to point 12,281.

Based on this photo from the CAIC report, it looks like it's a few hundred feet skier's-right of the Montezuma lift, around the run labelled "Long Chute" on the trail map. I believe the antenna visible is on the ridge bump above the Norway lift.

definitely looks like long chute/max area. On a side note, long chute never seemed that steep but still probably mid 30 degree range.
http://www.resortbeta.com - An interactive ski/snowboard experience for all your favorite ski resorts.

Postby Jim Davies » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:09 pm

I think "Max" is the cornice-topped run just viewers-left of the avalanche.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths. -- Steven Wright

Postby its_not_a_tuba » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:16 pm

Jim Davies wrote:

I was skiing up there today and this is the location of the slide. In person I was surprised how big of a slide it was being in-bounds. Scary stuff for sure. A-Basin as a whole has some pretty big slide paths to deal with and the loss of Leif Borgeson was tragic for them. Their patrol team has some pretty big shoes to fill and I would guess this incident has shaken them a bit.
"Wilderness settles peace on the soul because it needs no help. It is beyond human contrivance." -- E.O. Wilson

Postby Stevo68 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:26 am

I've rode that line a million times and never second guessed it, let alone worry about a slide with up to a 12' crown...
Ride to Live....Live to Ride

Postby Doug Shaw » Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:09 am

Stevo68 wrote:I've rode that line a million times and never second guessed it, let alone worry about a slide with up to a 12' crown...

Welcome to being human.

Postby ajkagy » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:34 am

Stevo68 wrote:I've rode that line a million times and never second guessed it, let alone worry about a slide with up to a 12' crown...

hehe, since it's in bounds 99% of people never blink an eye. Ski patrol had been doing a ton of work up there too. Just goes to show how unpredictable frozen water can truly be.

What's the deal with abasin having quite a few in bounds avy incidents over the years? Vail and Winter park had a rough year last year with incidents. We've got some serious terrain here at CB, but never hear of any accidents.

I wonder if there are any resources out there that chronicle in bounds avy stats?
http://www.resortbeta.com - An interactive ski/snowboard experience for all your favorite ski resorts.

Postby Jim Davies » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:48 am

The other two incidents I can think of both happened due to high temperatures, long after all the other resorts closed:
https://avalanche.state.co.us/acc/acc_co.php?accident=20050520
At about 10:30 am May 20 [2005] a 53-year-old male skier from Boulder was buried and killed in a medium-sized wet slab avalanche at Arapahoe Basin.

The other was a death in the mid-2000's sometime, also in mid-May, in which a solo skier fell, apparently knocked himself unconscious, and suffocated in slush, at the end of the day. I'm not sure I'd classify this as an avalanche. I'm also not sure I'd count two (or three) inbounds avalanche incidents in eight years as a lot.

There have also been several out-of-bounds avalanche incidents in uncontrolled sidecountry terrain at A-Basin. Easy access makes for more accidents; there have also been numerous accidents in East Vail, Loveland and Berthoud passes, etc.

Postby MonGoose » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:09 am

My buddy and I always wear our avy beacons when skiing the East Wall at A-Basin or the back bowls of Vail. I always felt it was a bit overkill but I figured since I spent the money on a beacon, I might as well use it. In retrospect, I think it's a pretty good idea.

Postby mtnfiend » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:17 pm

MonGoose wrote:My buddy and I always wear our avy beacons when skiing the East Wall at A-Basin or the back bowls of Vail.....

I didn't realize the back bowls at vail had any avy terrain! :-"

Does anyone know if the people in the group were wearing beacons? I know a couple coworkers who participated in directed skiing at copper over the weekend, and they were not wearing beacons (also didn't sound like they were required to).
Didn't I ever tell you.....Bumble's bounce!!!

Postby climbingaggie03 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:52 pm

I've done a fair amount of directed skiing at copper, and they never check for a beacon, or ask if you have one, however, you are rarely out of site of any patrollers. Not that that would help much if you're both caught in a slide.

PreviousNext