Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Pay for rescue gaining some traction

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Re: Pay for rescue gaining some traction

Postby KyleS » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:12 pm

This season, Wolf Creek started including the COSAR with their season passes. It's printed right on the back of the pass.

Postby ChrisRoberts » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:57 pm

KyleS wrote:This season, Wolf Creek started including the COSAR with their season passes. It's printed right on the back of the pass.

Great idea. I hope other ski areas will do the same
Some rise, some fall, some climb to get to terrapin
Read all about my schemes and adventuring at NoCo Chris Latest TR: DeCaLibron

Postby CO Native » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:31 pm

CCSARCAP wrote:Sheriff Information

The highest priority of the Search and Rescue Fund is to reimburse county sheriffs for mission costs incurred in rescues of persons having paid into the fund through surcharges on hunting and fishing licenses, registrations of boats, off-highway vehicles, Habitat stamps, and snowmobiles, and the voluntary purchase of Colorado Outdoor Recreation Search and Rescue (CORSAR) cards. If funds remain after all missions for these "licensed" persons have been reimbursed, the fund pays for missions for relatives of licensed persons. A third tier of funding is available at the end of the year for costly missions for unlicensed individuals.

Bob

Also if any funds remain after that teams can submit grants to help purchase equipment and gear that are otherwise out of their budget. Smaller and remote counties rely on these grants a lot.
Remember what your knees are for.
http://www.hikingintherockies.com

Postby Dark Helmet » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:28 am

as an out-of-state user, I would not balk at the idea of getting a bill for flight or ambulance time... to me that makes sense. I'm not going to begin to comprehend the in-state political dynamic, however.

My view is that I need to, in some way, pay for the services I use. if I hike in RMNP, my taxes and my park pass are my contribution to that, if I hike in other public federal areas, again, taxes are paying that. if its a state-owned property, I'm paying sales, lodging and fuel taxes during my journey.

It is REASONABLE that rescue services come at a cost... how the local entities defray and/or recoup that cost, could reasonably be left up to them.

Postby dsunwall » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:16 am

5 years ago I paid for a 5 year COSAR card, today I got an email saying my card will expire soon, a link brought me to the sight, had to acknowledge I knew it was not insurance, paid with CC. COSAR card is a PDF. All smooth and easy.

Previous