Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Pay for rescue gaining some traction

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Re: Pay for rescue gaining some traction

Postby Jim Davies » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:45 pm

highpilgrim wrote:you're not left holding the bag because you forgot.

You're never left holding the bag, because it isn't insurance.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths. -- Steven Wright

Postby CCSARCAP » Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:25 pm

Agree with Taylorzs. I've been involved in over 100 missions. Without going through a lot of paperwork I would say about 5-10% of mission are because someone did something "stupid," maybe 15% are from those who weren't prepared and in 75% of the missions, the subject was prepared, was knowledgeable but had a terrible accident. Listed below is information from the Colorado DOLA site. It seems we run into the CORSAR card issue every year. JUST BUY ONE!!!

Why Buy a CORSAR Card?
Colorado residents and visitors are well served by dedicated volunteer search and rescue teams, but mission costs are often in the thousands of dollars. By purchasing a CORSAR card you are contributing to the Search and Rescue Fund, which will reimburse these teams for costs incurred in your search and rescue. Funds remaining at the end of the year are used to help pay for training and equipment for these teams. Anyone with a current hunting/fishing license, or boat, snowmobile, ATV registration is already covered by the fund.

The CORSAR Card Is Not Insurance
The card is not insurance and does not reimburse individuals nor does it pay for medical transport. Medical transport includes helicopter flights or ground ambulance. If aircraft are used as a search vehicle, those costs are reimbursed by the fund. If the aircraft becomes a medical transport due to a medical emergency, the medical portion of the transport is not covered.

Purchase a Card
The CORSAR cards are available for $3 for one year and $12 for five years, and can be purchased at over 300 retailers in the state. You may also purchase cards online. Type in Colorado Search and Rescue CORSAR card and you can purchase online.

Bob
Bob

Postby ajkagy » Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:36 pm

CCSARCAP wrote:Anyone with a current hunting/fishing license, or boat, snowmobile, ATV registration is already covered by the fund.

glad you brought that up, a lot of people don't know you're contributing to the fund when you buy your annual license. Hunters and fishermen probably contribute the most.
http://www.resortbeta.com - An interactive ski/snowboard experience for all your favorite ski resorts.

Postby Dex » Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:39 pm

taylorzs wrote:Search and rescue services always have been free and always will be free. Every search and rescue team/mountain rescue team in Colorado is 100% volunteer and do not charge for any service.

It is good Colorado has a good Samaritan law

http://myhome.coloradomesa.edu/~jerry/gmnc/Colorado%20Good%20Samaritan%20Law.htm
Montani Semper Liberi
"Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous." Barry Ritholtz

Postby highpilgrim » Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:53 pm

Jim Davies wrote:
highpilgrim wrote:you're not left holding the bag because you forgot.

You're never left holding the bag, because it isn't insurance.

Yeah, good point. My comment was misleading. I've got alternative insurance to cover an evac, some from the AAC which provides that as a benefit of membership. I'm curious though from this comment:

MountainMedic wrote: MRA lost out on thousands because I had forgotten to pay $3.

I assume from this that MRA was not reimbursed for the rescue because his card had expired? Is that how that works? How is the funding from the CORSAR cards apportioned? Anyone know?
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Postby Jim Davies » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:05 pm

Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths. -- Steven Wright

Postby CCSARCAP » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:13 pm

Sheriff Information

The highest priority of the Search and Rescue Fund is to reimburse county sheriffs for mission costs incurred in rescues of persons having paid into the fund through surcharges on hunting and fishing licenses, registrations of boats, off-highway vehicles, Habitat stamps, and snowmobiles, and the voluntary purchase of Colorado Outdoor Recreation Search and Rescue (CORSAR) cards. If funds remain after all missions for these "licensed" persons have been reimbursed, the fund pays for missions for relatives of licensed persons. A third tier of funding is available at the end of the year for costly missions for unlicensed individuals.

Bob
Bob

Postby TallGrass » Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:23 pm

CORSAR Card Info (plug and so it's handy... newbs or otherwise)
Info http://www.colorado.gov/cs/Satellite/DOLA-Main/CBON/1251592090523
Vendors https://dola.colorado.gov/sar/vendors.jsf
Buy Online https://dola.colorado.gov/sar/orderInstructions.jsf

As for the original article, " 'Inexperience won't get you in trouble but it will keep you from getting out of trouble,' he said, adding he finds no fault in the relative few whose misadventures trigger a rescue." :wft: :wft:
Not sure if I'll do more 14ers. The trip reports are too tiring. :wink:

Postby tenpins » Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:37 pm

some points:

The good samaritan law is not all that solid for a organized, accredited and certified MRA team to stand on. Due Diligence will be a much better tool in the event of a lawsuit. Good samaritan laws are really for individuals who are just trying to help. Not trained professionals.

Not all teams or organizations here in Colorado are part of the Mountain Rescue Association (MRA). SAR is delegated to the county sheriffs by state law. They can use whomever they like. Sometimes it is an MRA team, sometimes they use deputies.

Some counties do not have any manner of team or posse.

Worth repeating forever: CORSAR card is NOT insurance! It is baffling that there is not an FAQ on 14ers regarding this.

Helicopters are ambulances. Ambulances are not free.

Why is it not important to charge for rescue? there is a No charge for rescue FB page. Check it out.

Postby schrund » Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:24 pm

S&R costs end back at the TH. If you are transferred to more advanced medical care (say an ambulance) by the S&R crew then the S&R part is over; the ambulance is then part of post S&R medical care - not S&R. Helicopters can fall into either part. If flight-for-life is waiting to pick you up at the TH - then it's not part of S&R - it's post S&R medical care. If however a military blackhawk picks you off the side of a mountain - that is obviously part of S&R but the cost is usually paid for for by already allocated training funds.
We did not think of the great open plains, the beautiful rolling hills, and winding streams... as "wild". Only to the white man was nature a "wilderness".
-Luther Standing Bear, Oglala Chief

Postby jsdratm » Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:54 pm

AAC membership has a good amount of SAR insurance included

Postby MountainHiker » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:29 pm

This discussion comes up regularly and the news media loves a story that triggers emotional opinions. Definitely agree with buying the COSAR card. I also tend to have some overlap between 5 year periods. I’m also doubled up with a hunting / fishing license. Something else to think about is if your work offers payroll deduction through United Way or similar. I pick multiple SAR organizations. I also sent a donation to the SAR involved in a recovery operation last year. There are a lot of options for helping the SAR groups. There are a lot selfless hardworking individuals who give freely of their own time and resources to help those in need.
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert

PreviousNext