Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

14er Mountain Information

Items that do not fit the categories above.

14er Mountain Information

Postby Brymer » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:17 pm

Can anyone tell me why there is a difference in the mountain height, longitude and latitude listed in here versus what the Colorado United States Geological Survey has on their site? Which is correct?

Re: 14er Mountain Information

Postby denvermikey » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:41 pm

Obviously a superior site such as 14ers.com is on the cusp of the most updated and accurate information. On the other hand, Colorado USGS relies on Fox News for their information....

Sorry, I was bored. Let the sh*$ storm begin....
"Every man dies, not every man really lives" - William Wallace
"Because it's there" - George Mallory
"In the end it's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years" - Abraham Lincoln
"You only live once but if you do it right, once is enough" - Mae West
"Climb mountains not so the world can see you, but so you can see the world." - Unknown

Postby Jim Davies » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:43 pm

It's winter, and the snow drifts raise and move the exact summits.

Or maybe it's this.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths. -- Steven Wright

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:57 pm

Brymer wrote:Can anyone tell me why there is a difference in the mountain height, longitude and latitude listed in here versus what the Colorado United States Geological Survey has on their site? Which is correct?

Short answer: None are correct.
Long answer: A while back the USGS elevations were adjusted based reasons I won't get into because they've been discussed here many times. On 14ers.com, I've chosen to stick to the elevations which we see on our maps, since the USGS has not issued new maps based on the new elevation calculations. Even the new numbers are not going to be exact when you consider the methods used to gather the data. GPS technology shows that the USGS elevations (old and new) are all in the ball-park, so it's unlikely they are off by 50+ feet. Will 14ers.com start using the "new" elevations at some point? Probably. Does it matter much? Probably not.

As far as Lat/Lon data, I've used GPS data from standing on the summits. Are they exact? Nope. Our commercial GPS units aren't perfect either. If you stand on the summit with 3 GPS units, you'll likely get 3 slightly different readings.

Until our summits are measured using superior tools which can determine elevation in the sub-foot realm, without measuring from one known elevation to determine another, nothing will be perfect. For additional discussion, you might want to do some searching in the forum...
"There's no recess and no rules in the school of life" - D. Mustaine

Postby ameristrat » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:43 pm

denvermikey wrote:Obviously a superior site such as 14ers.com is on the cusp of the most updated and accurate information. On the other hand, Colorado USGS relies on Fox News for their information....

Sorry, I was bored. Let the sh*$ storm begin....

Meh. I can't even bring myself to care. Any discerning person can tell that no news source shoots straight. I just know that I pretty much disagree with everything Rachel Maddow has ever said.
You cannot stay on the summit forever; you have to come down again. So why bother in the first place? Just this: What is above knows what is below, but what is below does not know what is above. One climbs, one sees. One descends, one sees no longer, but one has seen. There is an art of conducting oneself in the lower regions by the memory of what one saw higher up. When one can no longer see, one can at least still know. - Rene Daumal

Postby gdthomas » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:12 pm

BillMiddlebrook wrote:
Brymer wrote:Can anyone tell me why there is a difference in the mountain height, longitude and latitude listed in here versus what the Colorado United States Geological Survey has on their site? Which is correct?

Long answer: ...Does it matter much? Probably not....

Especially since the new higher elevations didn't add another 14er to the list. (I'm aware of Sunlight Spire so everyone can save those remarks.)