Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

REI dividend

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Re: REI dividend

Postby unclegar » Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:31 pm

Finally got my mail...another story.
Looks like $243.33 this year mostly due to using the REI visa. Too bad it doesn't apply toward a new gps (if I remember correctly) since that is at the top of my list this year. Not sure where it will go but I'm sure I can find something to buy. :mrgreen:
...the mountain peaks belong to Him. -- PS 95:4

“All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.”
― Charles M. Schulz

Postby sheller » Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:44 pm

I believe the dividend is good for all purchases. The 20% off coupons that come with it can't be used to buy certain things like electronics, bikes, trips, etc. I got $60 and am looking forward to spending it.

Postby SurfNTurf » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:43 pm

$77 and some change, mostly due to the REI Visa. Like others have mentioned I hardly ever pay full retail for outdoor gear. I'll probably get some trail runners (those of you that know me are gasping) or put it toward an Osprey Variant 37, because I'm a filthy, filthy pack whore.
Many Miles to Go (Blog)

“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper

Postby wildlobo71 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:51 pm

$279... Thanks to new tires for Rubi, her 60,000 mile spa appointment, and a bunch of other things on the deadly REI Visa.

Next year? hopefully 0, because that card is gone...

New trail runners, or some pants that double as work clothes to people who don't know the difference (Kuhl pants are the bomb.)
Bill W.
Yes, I have my Scotch.

Postby Tory Wells » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:08 pm

sheller wrote:I believe the dividend is good for all purchases. The 20% off coupons that come with it can't be used to buy certain things like electronics, bikes, trips, etc. I got $60 and am looking forward to spending it.
unclegar wrote:Finally got my mail...another story.
Looks like $243.33 this year mostly due to using the REI visa. Too bad it doesn't apply toward a new gps (if I remember correctly) since that is at the top of my list this year. Not sure where it will go but I'm sure I can find something to buy. :mrgreen:

Sheller is correct, you can apply the dividend toward ALL purchases, including a GPS; it is the 20% off coupon which has limitations.

$333.41, getty up.
"Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, am I." -David Gilmour, Pink Floyd

"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?
-Steve Gladbach

Postby LuLuLuv » Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:26 pm

Only $20.43 :( I had in my mind that It would be bigger related to the expensive vet bill I put on my VISA, but then realized it won't be reflected until next year.

Postby carson_h » Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:27 am

Do your dividend purchases qualify for next years dividend? I checked the REI website, but it doesn't say. If not, I'm waiting until July 1 to cash out.

After a wedding, Argentina, Chile, and Belize in 2012, I'm embarassed to state the size of my dividend this year.

Postby Jim Davies » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:02 pm

sheller wrote:I believe the dividend is good for all purchases.

In fact, if you're willing to wait a few months they'll send you a check. I've come to realize that people treat the REI dividend like their tax refund: "free money". Really, you can still choose to spend or save it, just like any other money.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths. -- Steven Wright

Postby madbuck » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:49 pm

Jim Davies wrote:
sheller wrote:I believe the dividend is good for all purchases.

In fact, if you're willing to wait a few months they'll send you a check. I've come to realize that people treat the REI dividend like their tax refund: "free money". Really, you can still choose to spend or save it, just like any other money.

+1, I was observing the same thing.
But you still have to request the check (in July or later), and it expires at the end of the following year, right? So there is a risk of not using it (all) beofre it expires; plus the "cost of money," that makes it most rational to use it for an otherwise planned purchase or get a check/cash as soon as allowable.

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:29 pm

It's like tithing. It all goes back to REI eventually. :roll:

Postby mtgirl » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:08 am

As a reminder, that 20% off "one item" coupon code can be used more than once online if you place separate orders. For example, I just bought two $200 bike racks. I put them on two separate orders and got 20% off each one (and free shipping) to use up some of my dividend.
"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."

Postby Jim Davies » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:43 am

madbuck wrote:But you still have to request the check (in July or later), and it expires at the end of the following year, right? So there is a risk of not using it (all) beofre it expires; plus the "cost of money," that makes it most rational to use it for an otherwise planned purchase or get a check/cash as soon as allowable.

True, it does take some discipline (but not much - you can request the check now, you just won't get it until July). The cost of money isn't much right now, as interest rates are near zero. This was brought to my attention by my wise and economically well-educated wife last year, when I was struggling to find something worth buying for our dividend. She pointed out that I didn't actually have to spend it at REI. It was an "aha" moment for sure.

As for tithing, well, my $100-$200 annual dividend speaks to my support for the "church". :)
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths. -- Steven Wright

PreviousNext