Suggestions for Cotopaxi guides?

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
thatmushroom
14ers: 15  1 
13ers: 20 1 1
Trip Reports (2)

Suggestions for Cotopaxi guides?

Post by thatmushroom »

I'll be in Ecuador in mid-October for a couple of weeks. One week will be dedicated to the Galapagos, but I'd like to take a little time to climb Cotopaxi. When in Rome...

Anyways, I was wondering if anyone here had done it and had suggestions for a guiding service.
Searching through the forum, seems like someone had used High Summits and liked them, but I'd like to get as much feedback as possible.
High Summits: http://ecuador-climbing.info/2_day_tour ... climbs.htm
uwe
14ers: 58 
13ers: 45
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Suggestions for Cotopaxi guides?

Post by uwe »

I used High Summits - there in Dec, '10 to climb Coto, Chimbo, Cayambe and Iliniza Sur.
Good outfitter.
Their guide pool changes
sstratta
14ers: 57  11  14 
13ers: 121 11 9
Trip Reports (0)

Post by sstratta »

My friend Jaime is an awesome guide down in Ecuador and would take you up Cotopaxi, here's his email: jaime2670@gmail.com. He works sometimes with Gulliver Travel, which is also a great company to go through:
http://www.gulliver.com.ec/index.php/Cl ... s-Ecuador/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
JenGa
14ers: 58 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (4)

Post by JenGa »

Look up Jonathan Hall. Can't go wrong.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

I'll be in Ecuador in mid-October for a couple of weeks. One week will be dedicated to the Galapagos, but I'd like to take a little time to climb Cotopaxi. When in Rome...
If you're only going for two weeks and one is dedicated to the Galapagos, you are fairly short on time to climb something as high as Cotopaxi. It is doable in that time period though, but I'd definitely recommend climbing Cotopaxi before the Galapagos part of the trip so you won't be climbing it after spending a week at sea level.

Good luck on your trip. Ecuador is an awesome place.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
thatmushroom
14ers: 15  1 
13ers: 20 1 1
Trip Reports (2)

Post by thatmushroom »

Thanks for the suggestions, all!
cheeseburglar
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 79 2 1
Trip Reports (8)

Post by cheeseburglar »

sstratta wrote:My friend Jaime is an awesome guide down in Ecuador and would take you up Cotopaxi, here's his email: jaime2670@gmail.com. He works sometimes with Gulliver Travel, which is also a great company to go through:
http://www.gulliver.com.ec/index.php/Cl ... s-Ecuador/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jaime Vargas? We climbed Cotapaxi and Chimbo with him back in '09, I think.
Great guy. You can look him up on facebook. I recommend him.
He is an enjoyable guy to climb with.
The marmot said “Nobody is perfect and you are not nobody.”

Random FoTH Quotes
vusteph
14ers: 22  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (6)

Post by vusteph »

We used Andeanface and our guide was Gaspar. He was great!

http://www.andeanface.com/index.php/about-us/guides" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I also have a trip report floating around. We did a week long tour, but you can hire them for just the climb too.
boleslav
Trip Reports (0)

Post by boleslav »

We did roughly the plan you are talking about.

first few aclimatization hikes/climbs like Rucu Pichinca (is in Quito) then 2 climbs -Corazon, Iliniza Norte, stayed at La Lovizna hostal, the owner is former climber and organized the climbs for us- review here: http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserRevi ... vince.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

then when well aclimatized climbed Cotopaxi

then we went to Galapagos