Let's see your artwork!

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
spong0949
14ers: 49  1 
13ers: 47
Trip Reports (26)

Re: Let's see your artwork!

Post by spong0949 »

MtnHub wrote:T
Aaron, did you ever finish your painting of the Bells this semester?
Haha! I have been too busy with teaching. Hoping to work on it more over the xmas break.

Just saw your the Crestones quilt here. Very nice! It looks like you added the sand dunes at the base of the peaks. I've taken photos of these peaks from about the same angle from the west and the dunes are located a bit farther south right? Or...were they actually in the photo you were working from? There are many photos of the Crestones with the Dunes in the same frame taken from the south, but I like the angle of the peaks as viewed from the east or from the west better. I was planning on doing a picture of these for my next 14er painting, but using a little artistic license and adding the dunes to the foreground similar to what you did in your quilt. The tricky part would be making sure the angles of the shadows are consistent on both the peaks and the dunes (which you accurately did in the quilt). Also making sure the time of day and lighting is similar on both features.
Mountain photography and fine art:
https://aaron-spong.pixels.com/

Blog:
http://14erart.com

"SOLI DEO GLORIA"
tlongpine
14ers: 27  1  2 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (4)

Post by tlongpine »

Crestone Woodcut
Sangres.jpg
Sangres.jpg (145.9 KiB) Viewed 3742 times
I am unable to walk away from the mountain without climbing it. An unclimbed mountain tugs at my consciousness with the eternal weight of time itself. Until I've pressed my face into it's alpine winds, hugged it's ancient granite walls, and put it's weathered summit beneath my heal I'm unable to resist it's attraction.Knowing nature gives the mountain more time than she gives us adds urgency to the obsession. As has been said before; the mountain doesn't care.

It can wait forever. I cannot.
spong0949
14ers: 49  1 
13ers: 47
Trip Reports (26)

Post by spong0949 »

^ That ^

Very nice!
Mountain photography and fine art:
https://aaron-spong.pixels.com/

Blog:
http://14erart.com

"SOLI DEO GLORIA"
yorksman
14ers: 13 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (0)

Post by yorksman »

tlongpine wrote:Crestone Woodcut
Sangres.jpg
That's really nice, what do you use to create work like this.
MtnHub
14ers: 28 
13ers: 23
Trip Reports (50)

Post by MtnHub »

Nice addition, tlongpine. The Crestones are certainly worthy subjects.
spong0949 wrote: Just saw your the Crestones quilt here. Very nice! It looks like you added the sand dunes at the base of the peaks. I've taken photos of these peaks from about the same angle from the west and the dunes are located a bit farther south right? Or...were they actually in the photo you were working from? There are many photos of the Crestones with the Dunes in the same frame taken from the south, but I like the angle of the peaks as viewed from the east or from the west better. I was planning on doing a picture of these for my next 14er painting, but using a little artistic license and adding the dunes to the foreground similar to what you did in your quilt. The tricky part would be making sure the angles of the shadows are consistent on both the peaks and the dunes (which you accurately did in the quilt). Also making sure the time of day and lighting is similar on both features.
Thanks. I sometimes have difficulty in creating the proper foreground of my subjects artistically. Yes, this ended up being more of a schematic interpretation of the dunes and mountains.

Looking forward to your Crestone painting, and of course the final Bells project.
MtnHub
Trip Reports (50)

Post by MtnHub »

Although this was my very first piece (done in 2009), it seems appropriate to post it today. Merry Christmas to all my Christian brothers and sisters! To all my non-Christian friends, a most blessed and happy holiday season however you may celebrate! :-D
Attachments
1 Christmas Story.jpg
1 Christmas Story.jpg (160.32 KiB) Viewed 3431 times
Mark A Steiner
14ers: 3 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Mark A Steiner »

Thank you, MtnHub.

Yet in thy dark streets shineth ... the everlasting Light: John 8:12.
Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatever state I am, therewith to be content - Paul the Apostle.
Like it or not, I am a slow driver. Putt ... putt ... putt ...
Good day.
Project Ralphie
14ers: 30 
13ers: 3 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Project Ralphie »

I took a photo at sunrise while getting ready to hike Mt. Elbert about 4 or 5 years ago. I believe, though I'm not sure, that this is Mt. Cosgriff. The photo was very vivid, and I always thought it would make a good painting. I used to draw a lot, but never really painted, but this Christmas, when my wife bought me paints and brushes, I decided to give it a shot. This is acrylic on canvas. 24 in. x 48 in. The working title is "Mount Cosgriff . . . Or Some Other Nice Mountain Near Elbert."
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (138.11 KiB) Viewed 3238 times
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

Nice. ^That photo-turned-painting shows Mt. Hope and Twin Peaks. :) Looks like it was taken from near the campground, above Twin Lakes. Cosgriff is a false summit along Elbert's SE ridge and would be up to the right of where this photo was taken from.
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

I'm no artist, but I doodled some stickers last year for our local trail maintenance org. Here's my favorite.
SaveTheTrailsBlue675x675.png
SaveTheTrailsBlue675x675.png (64.66 KiB) Viewed 3217 times
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
Project Ralphie
14ers: 30 
13ers: 3 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Project Ralphie »

BillMiddlebrook wrote:Nice. ^That photo-turned-painting shows Mt. Hope and Twin Peaks. :) Looks like it was taken from near the campground, above Twin Lakes. Cosgriff is a false summit along Elbert's SE ridge and would be up to the right of where this photo was taken from.
Thanks, Bill! All the better - I run the Leadville 100 and have crossed Hope Pass many times. Nice to see I accidentally painted Mt. Hope!
MtnHub
Trip Reports (50)

Post by MtnHub »

P-Ralphie, your Mt Hope/Twin Peaks painting is lovely! Thanks for sharing it! You seemed to have mastered paints right away; really beautiful soft edges of color and contrasts! I commend your wife's gift idea. (Isn't it nice to have all these great 14er members at the ready to help ID various peaks and places :) )

And thanks for your contribution, Jim!