Old Man---new life

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Jay521
14ers: 42  10 
13ers: 175 22
Trip Reports (56)

Re: Old Man---new life

Post by Jay521 »

giarcd wrote:Now under 200 lbs and ready for peaks with nutritional reqs. in control . Plan Capitol Peak Sept 4th and 5th. Granite Peak, Montana Sept 19th thru 22nd,Mt Whitney (with permit)in Oct. and Nevada high point on way home from California. We'll see how well my weight loss and conditioning program works ! :-SS
Hoo-ya!
I take the mountain climber's approach to housekeeping - don't look down
CarpeDM
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 350 13
Trip Reports (10)

Post by CarpeDM »

Sounds ambitious! Get it, Craig!
"This route is awesome; you can bring all your favorite holds home with you!" - Cedar Wright
"I just wanna live the life I please; I don't want no enemies; I don't want nothing if I have to fake it
Never take nothing don't belong to me; everything's paid for; nothing's free; If I give my heart will you promise not to break it?" - Lucinda Williams
mtgirl
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 104
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtgirl »

mtgirl wrote:Good luck, Craig !

My brother (49), who lives back east, just had the gastric sleeve surgery. His doctor made him lose 50 pounds on his own first, mostly to be certain he was willing and able to make the change in lifestyle, change his eating habits, and exercise (he lost 70 before surgery). He started at 351 pounds and is now down to 210 pounds. He would like to lose another 20-25. Before surgery, he was on meds for high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and high blood sugar. He no longer takes ANY meds. Before surgery, he could barely walk around the block due to severe pain in his ankles and knees. Last month, I went home to visit him, and he asked me to go hiking with him in the Shawangunks. I never thought I would see the day my brother wanted to go hiking. We hiked 7 miles that day together, and I'll treasure it forever ! The following day, we walked a 5K breast cancer awareness walk. I'm so incredibly proud of him, and the change I see in his self confidence brings tears to my eyes.

I wish the same success for you.
Congrats on your weight loss and the new chapter in your life ! You must feel like a whole new person.

Since my above post to this thread, my brother has been maintaining 188 pounds and is very active now. He hikes, kayaks, and bikes. He is making his first trip to CO next week to see me; I've lived here 18 years. He is finally comfortable fitting in an airline seat, travelling, and wanting to explore this beautiful state. His self confidence has sky rocketed !

Enjoy every single day and good luck to you !
"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."
Sean Nunn
14ers: 35 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Sean Nunn »

TallGrass wrote:
giarcd wrote:One of he principle reasons to begin ascents is to find out what nutritional needs will my body demand and to adjust my intake to fulfill that demand. I hiked for a total of thirteen hours and wore myself out. Adjustments WILL be needed...
First, congrats on a fitter you! =D>

Second, most of us can drain our gas tank in 13hr day, then hit a diner to go from Empty to Full in one sitting. If I follow, that's no longer an option for you, so I'll be interested to hear how you both avoid bonking as well as replenish at the end of the day. I can think of a couple ways, but they'd could defeat the purpose of the gastric band surgery. Does your Doc have insight from addressing this with prior athletic patients?
TallGrass is right. However, if your goal is to continue to lose weight, one of the most efficient ways, if you can stand it, IS to go on long, long hikes (where you are mostly burning fat) and then NOT refuel completely. You are putting your body in a large negative calorie situation where you have to lose weight. This would not work if you were going to climb again in the next day or 2, but if you don't have to worry about that, it's a good way to go.
"Thy righteousness is like the great mountains."
Psalm 36:6
Sean Nunn
14ers: 35 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Sean Nunn »

giarcd wrote:Now under 200 lbs and ready for peaks with nutritional reqs. in control . Plan Capitol Peak Sept 4th and 5th. Granite Peak, Montana Sept 19th thru 22nd,Mt Whitney (with permit)in Oct. and Nevada high point on way home from California. We'll see how well my weight loss and conditioning program works ! :-SS
That sounds like an awesome expedition.
Even if you don't summit them all, remember that it is a journey not a destination.
"Thy righteousness is like the great mountains."
Psalm 36:6
giarcd
14ers: 22 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (15)

Post by giarcd »

My nutritional needs have not yet worked out to sustain physical effort needed. The idea ,in my head,was to have found the answer early---but that's not the case!! I had visions of many peaks and travel this summer but have difficulty finding a nutritional balance that will allow for such activities. My real efforts are pointed towards Mt. Whitney in Oct.---till then,I will continue the search and hike for the answer. (oh yah,have lost 125lbs.so far)

Craig
MountainHiker
13ers: 109
Trip Reports (7)

Post by MountainHiker »

Craig, this is really impressive. Hang in there. Keep in mind, even for those of us who haven't struggled with weight loss, building up stamina to do longer hikes is a long term process. I missed this thread when it re-started, and just now read your earlier Sept goals - and I thought, Whoa, don't rush the learning curve. High up on Capitol or Granite are not the place to hit the wall. They are also serious climbs to build up to. If you're going to flirt with hitting the wall, have it be on a path. I suggest practicing the individual components on less committing routes. When you settle into the routine of regular hiking (building stamina) and learning to safely climb more technical routes, you'll be better prepared to plan Capitol or Granite.
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert
TallGrass
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TallGrass »

125#! Congrats on dropping the weight. Stay strong. :) Btw, regarding stamina, everybody's different but when I first started running after junior high, I couldn't go a half mile without stopping for what felt like weeks. Then one day I did a mile non-stop and just started adding the miles from there. A base can take a while to build, but the building goes easier from there, still work, but a better handle. ;)
"A few hours' mountain climbing make of a rogue and a saint two fairly equal creatures.
Tiredness is the shortest path to equality and fraternity - and sleep finally adds to them liberty."
giarcd
Trip Reports (15)

Post by giarcd »

With each mountain hike/climb , I have learned more and more about the needed nutrition! On the Mt.Whitney , nutrition worked, but 40 to 60 mph wind gusts blew me off the mountain (no summit) but great experience. My brother was totally focused on summit and got it . Then we traveled to Nevada and attempted to find western access to Boundary Peak, took 3 passes overnight to find. (no signs or road markers). We found TH and hiked up but got such a late start we decided, after a couple miles, to bail due to time constraints and safety with darkness.
Now I'm down to 185 lbs and loving it. Thank you for everyones encouragement and support. I am now preparing to head to Nicaragua for few weeks. Time for vacation (mabey a couple volcanos climbs). My summit success on Pyramid Peak with Old Gray Hair (Alan Smith) has been my single summit this year and I am happy and continue to pursue.

Craig
MountainHiker
13ers: 109
Trip Reports (7)

Post by MountainHiker »

Craig, it sounds like you've achieved the summit of a new life. You can always go back for Whitney & Boundary.
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert
kushrocks
14ers: 58  25 
13ers: 65 2
Trip Reports (5)

Post by kushrocks »

It was great bumping into you at the fall gathering. I hardly recognized you with how much weight you lost. Very proud of the happier and healthier new you.
“The best climber in the world is the one who is having all the fun.” – Alex Lowe
" Don’t be afraid to move out of your comfort zone. Some of your best life experiences and opportunities will transpire only after you dare to loose."
giarcd
Trip Reports (15)

Post by giarcd »

Have maintained weight loss and still struggle a bit with nutrional requirements. Trip to Nicaragua was incredible,diving ship wreck and other sites off Big Corn island out in Caribbean ,climbing Madera Volcano on Ometepe Island in Lake Nicaragua where I developed tremendous knee pain and swelling on descent. Dang I thought I tore meniscus that cancelled my plans to surf San Juan Del Sur.(ened up being arthitus not tear,no surgery needed). Later hiked up Cero Negro volcano to volcano surf and checked out Masaya Volcano (active).
I am returning to Central America in Feb. to continue exploration and experiences including other volcanos
Ah,retirement is nice. Thank ya'll

Craig