Most Overhyped Sections of Peaks?

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
AyeYo
14ers: 13 
13ers: 13 3
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Most Overhyped Sections of Peaks?

Post by AyeYo »

tlongpine wrote:Basically, everything on AyeYo's completed list TBH.
=D>
Sick burn, bro. Would be a little more legit if you didn't have essentially the same list.
tobiasfunke
14ers: 31  2 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tobiasfunke »

AyeYo wrote:
=D>
Sick burn, bro. Would be a little more legit if you didn't have essentially the same list.
Want to climb Humility Peak this weekend?
litote312
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 20
Trip Reports (3)

Post by litote312 »

tobiasfunke wrote:
AyeYo wrote:
=D>
Want to climb Humility Peak this weekend?
Eh that one belongs on the underhyped peak thread...
Don't bash each other; bash willows.
tlongpine
14ers: 27  1  2 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (4)

Post by tlongpine »

AyeYo wrote:
=D>
Don't take it personally. You didn't make the routes. This was about the routes. Not you.

But if you want to make it personal, I'm a way better hiker than you are.
I am unable to walk away from the mountain without climbing it. An unclimbed mountain tugs at my consciousness with the eternal weight of time itself. Until I've pressed my face into it's alpine winds, hugged it's ancient granite walls, and put it's weathered summit beneath my heal I'm unable to resist it's attraction.Knowing nature gives the mountain more time than she gives us adds urgency to the obsession. As has been said before; the mountain doesn't care.

It can wait forever. I cannot.
donutbread
14ers: 32 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by donutbread »

twhalm wrote:

Also, I saw the summit block of Sunshine in the underhyped thread, but me and the group I was with all agreed that that block was incredibly overhyped. I took both the leap and the scrambling face way up the block and both were pretty okay. BUT, if you didn't have experience with exposure, I could see that block being terrifying.
Wait, what? Summit block of Sunshine? Aka just a regular class 2 walk up to the summit? Someone explain to me how anyone could overhype Sunshine...
TallGrass
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TallGrass »

"Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?" -- George Carlin

Have you ever noticed that any section below your current skill or comfort level is over-hyped, and any section that is above it is under-hyped?

How often have you thought "I was afraid of that?!" when repeating a section years later that spooked you the first time?
donutbread
14ers: 32 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by donutbread »

I think there are plenty of variables that decide how we react to certain routes.

I did the keyhole route on Longs this year and found that I was pretty sketched out on the Homestretch. I found that the traffic made me feel real uneasy and restricted.

But then I did Wetterhorn and the west ridge of Quandary within a month of Longs, and found I was more than comfortable with the moves and the exposure.
swan
Trip Reports (0)

Post by swan »

Try real rock climbing some day, you may need a guide though...
CreekRunner
14ers: 35  3 
13ers: 35 5
Trip Reports (5)

Post by CreekRunner »

For some silly reason, I thought that the angel of shavano would be steeper and scarier. Just something about the word couloir or anything resembling one made me associate it with really steep stuff. But while doing it, I realized just how fun they are when they are in good condition.

Besides the decalibro, none of the peaks Ive done that usually get a name for being loose felt that way at all. I guess I need a taste of the elks to find out what loose really is.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

For some silly reason, I thought that the angel of shavano would be steeper and scarier.
Same here. It was also a lot shorter (the snow climb part) than I thought it would be too. It's barely steep enough to glissade. I was disappointed with the route.
I guess I need a taste of the elks to find out what loose really is.
The San Juans have some pretty loose stuff as well.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
I Man
14ers: 58  49 
13ers: 74 7
Trip Reports (30)

Post by I Man »

As others have said, I'd say every named section on every 14er is overhyped.
I thought the crux move on Mt Wilson was by far the hardest move on any 14er (or possibly the summit block of Sunlight). Thos efelt like legit 4th class. No other peak had 4th class IMO.
You can touch the void, just don't fall into it.

I fly a starship across the universe divide....and when I reach the other side...I'll find a place to rest my spirit if I can. Perhaps I may become a Mountain Man again.
mountaingoat-G
14ers: 23  5  1 
13ers: 21 6 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by mountaingoat-G »

A lot of this depends on the conditions (your own condition and the weather). I have done certain sections easily (Homestretch, for example) that would be terrifying in a lightning storm, or covered in a glaze of ice. Or if you are super hungry, anything can be hard. The wind can also be tricky when combined with exposure. Everything is relative.

One observation about the sarcastic list: does anyone really equate using a GPS and/or modern clothing with using bottled oxygen ???