Anyone else make their own maps?

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Re: Anyone else make their own maps?

Post by justiner »

This actually uses the Heatmap, rather than Cluster (which I didn't know existed!)

labs.strava.com/heatmap/

Slightly different tools, but both are pretty interesting. The Heatmap is available strava's route creator too, which is REALLY useful, when you want to figure out a off-route trail, in an area you're not familiar with. You can start to get a sense of what map be a popular path, and popular may mean there's a reason people are taking it.
hessma
14ers: 10 
13ers: 4 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by hessma »

justiner wrote:This actually uses the Heatmap, rather than Cluster (which I didn't know existed!)

labs.strava.com/heatmap/

Slightly different tools, but both are pretty interesting. The Heatmap is available strava's route creator too, which is REALLY useful, when you want to figure out a off-route trail, in an area you're not familiar with. You can start to get a sense of what map be a popular path, and popular may mean there's a reason people are taking it.
I love me some Big Data/Analytics. Equal parts scary and cool. Guess I will have to sign up for the Strava site now. Is the premium worth it?
"So I say, do not discriminate what constitutes a mountain. Be happy you are in a continual pursuit of something that gives you energy in life.” —Stefan Feller
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

hessma wrote:Is the premium worth it?
I actually cannot remember what is so great about premium without looking, except that it allows you to download anyone's track, from anyone's activity. If the route builder being is a Premium feature, than yeah - I think that's the best online GPX editor around.
jdorje
14ers: 12 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (16)

Post by jdorje »

http://caltopo.blogspot.com/2015/11/map ... -topo.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I, uh, just noticed this?
"I don't think about the past, and the future is a mystery. Only the present matters."
arvinsmee
14ers: 4 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by arvinsmee »

there is some great info in this thread, thank you all! looks like i got plenty to keep me busy over the winter.
TravelingMatt
14ers: 56 
13ers: 435
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TravelingMatt »

The "National Geographic" maps are actually made by a company called Trails Illustrated and they license the name. From how often they're mentioned here, it's clear Trails Illustrated gets a decent marketing and distribution boost. Also they get to use the same fonts that National Geographic's own maps and atlases use, so they benefit from a familiar look and feel.

I greatly prefer the Latitude 40 maps. They seem to be more field-checked with much better info about the existence and driveability of dirt roads, and are less often split at inconvenient places. The Sky Terrain maps for the Sangres and Elks are pretty good too, but the typography isn't quite up to Lat 40's quality.

All three are based in Boulder I believe, and I wonder what sort of competition goes on between them, like whether it's friendly or catty.
You never know what is enough until you know what is more than enough. -- William Blake
acidchylde
14ers: 30 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by acidchylde »

TravelingMatt wrote:The "National Geographic" maps are actually made by a company called Trails Illustrated and they license the name.
All three are based in Boulder I believe, and I wonder what sort of competition goes on between them, like whether it's friendly or catty.
Huh? Trails Illustrated is the name of a product line produced by National Geographic. There is no company called Trails Illustrated, that's a trade name (aka DBA or 'doing business as' for National Geographic Holdings, Inc. So yes, they are "National Geographic" maps. Also, they're based in Evergreen, not Boulder. Same company also used to publish the TOPO! software that had digital scans of USGS quads, but that line was discontinued in 2012 after they partnered with AllTrails. Basically what that software offered couldn't compete anymore because it was all becoming available cheaper or free online.
thurs
14ers: 58  4  3 
13ers: 41 2 4
Trip Reports (4)

Post by thurs »

GISers unite.

Anyone recommending ArcGIS for personal use in this thread -- SHAME!!!!

Interested in building your own maps? How complicated you want to make it? In increasing order of complicatedness:

- Simple web-based point and path overlays on familiar basemaps (CalTopo, Google Maps [whatever the custom app is called now])

- Roll your own web-based mashup with open data sources (OSM, USGS, etc.)

- Acquire all the data, GPX files, etc. that you want and assemble it / visualize it in QGIS

I love making maps! Especially when a legitimate product does not exist - such as for SNODAS - per my signature.
acidchylde
14ers: 30 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by acidchylde »

thurs wrote:Anyone recommending ArcGIS for personal use in this thread -- SHAME!!!!
ESRI hater eh... At least I did suggest QGIS first. :P
Doug Shaw
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Doug Shaw »

thurs wrote:Interested in building your own maps? How complicated you want to make it? In increasing order of complicatedness:

- Simple web-based point and path overlays on familiar basemaps (CalTopo, Google Maps [whatever the custom app is called now])

- Roll your own web-based mashup with open data sources (OSM, USGS, etc.)

- Acquire all the data, GPX files, etc. that you want and assemble it / visualize it in QGIS
- Walk the earth and perform your own independent surveys.
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

acidchylde wrote:<snip> There is no company called Trails Illustrated,
Used to be - before Nat Geo. I don't know the details, but TI used to be an independent map company. Maybe Nat Geo bought them out?
gb
14ers: 56  54  6 
13ers: 67 54
Trip Reports (26)

Post by gb »

SkaredShtles wrote:
acidchylde wrote:<snip> There is no company called Trails Illustrated,
Used to be - before Nat Geo. I don't know the details, but TI used to be an independent map company. Maybe Nat Geo bought them out?
Yep, NG bought TI years ago.

Put me down for another vote for Lat 40 being the best out there right now.