Hikes around Mount Hood

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
habaceeba
14ers: 27 
13ers: 93 1 1
Trip Reports (3)

Hikes around Mount Hood

Post by habaceeba »

I will be in Portland, OR in late September for business. I don't have nearly enough time to climb Mt. Hood, but may have time to make a short hike somewhere in the area. Does anyone know of any good spots on the east side of the mountain to take in some good sunrise views? On the day I plan to do this I will have to be back at the Portland airport by 10:30am.
solitude
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Hikes around Mount Hood

Post by solitude »

Anything around the Columbia River Highway is nice, there are lots of options from easy .2 - 6 mile walks around waterfalls to 14 mi RT hike to Larch Mtn (probably the best spot for sunrise view, you can also drive up it), and lots in between, and they are all within a couple of miles of each other, see map: http://www.columbiariverhighway.com/his ... ighway.pdf
almost all the waterfall hikes are extremely easy, but there are many you can connect to make a longer hike and they have some gorgeous views.
"The best journeys answer questions that in the beginning, you didn't even think to ask"
lazy climber
14ers: 19 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by lazy climber »

Hood in late September could be a bit rough, rock fall etc but there are a lot of good hikes along the Gorge.

Depending on how long you have I would recommend Multnoma Falls to Wakeena Falls loop, just under 6 miles, another would be Angels Rest about 5 miles or Dog Mountain about an hour east of Portland on the WA side of the river. How ever there several othe r good hikes inthe Gorge which you can look up online.
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B »

You should look for the "Curious Gorge" book at the Powells book store in the airport. It has a ton of great hikes in the Gorge/Mt Hood area.

I highly recommend the Triple falls hike.
Make wilderness less accessible.