Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Relocating to Southern Oregon Coast

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA

Relocating to Southern Oregon Coast

Postby lackerstef » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:22 pm

Does anyone have any good beta on good places to backpack/climb near the southern Oregon Coast? I will be moving to North Bend (near Coos Bay) after the New Year and am trying to start finding some places to get out. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Re: Relocating to Southern Oregon Coast

Postby Theodore » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:26 pm

You're not very far from Smith Rocks... not going to find much better climbing than that! For hiking, 3 sisters, Bachelor and Washington are just East. With a small bit of driving, you have a TON of stuff close by! I'm sure there are plenty of beach and dune hikes nearby as well.

Location: Up high in the San Juan Mtns (Apr-Nov) and down by the beach in CA & HA (Nov-Apr)

Postby San Juan Ron » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:56 pm

Mt. Shasta -- it doesn't get much better! Great hiking and not too far from you. SJ Ron

Postby Dave B » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:58 pm

Theodore wrote:You're not very far from Smith Rocks... not going to find much better climbing than that! For hiking, 3 sisters, Bachelor and Washington are just East. With a small bit of driving, you have a TON of stuff close by! I'm sure there are plenty of beach and dune hikes nearby as well.

Er, might wanna check again. Coos Bay is a solid 5 hours from Bend which makes Smith a +30 min for a helluva long day.

The problem with the OR coast range is a lot of the land is owned by Wayerhauser and off limits.

I would look south towards the area between Ashford and Crater Lake or into northern Cali. There's some pretty good sandstone sport climbing between Coos Bay and Roseburg in the Callahans, a hell of an approach though. There are a set of climbing books for Oregon by Greg Orton. You should get the Willamette and Umpqua versions for rock and then get the Barbara Bond "Oregon Scrambles" book.

I hate to sound like a downer, but enjoy your time in the car...
"There is no cheating in climbing, only lying." - Semi-Rad

Postby lackerstef » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:14 pm

Yea I figure for the big stuff there is going to be quite a bit of drive time involved. The way I look at it is it will be similar to getting to the San Juans from C-Springs which I've never hesitated doing. All great suggestions, thanks!

Keep it coming!

Postby Scott P » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:26 am

See the book for lots of hikes in that area:

http://www.amazon.com/100-Hikes-Travel-Guide-Oregon/dp/0981570119/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1351257930&sr=8-2&keywords=hiking+oregon

This book also has hikes that are farther away, but still not that far:

http://www.amazon.com/Hikes-Southern-Oregon-William-Sullivan/dp/0981570135/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1351257930&sr=8-8&keywords=hiking+oregon

The mentioned Oregon Scrambles also has a few peaks to climb in the area.

Of course, the region is very rainy in the winter, but is really nice in the summer.
I'm slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.

Postby lackerstef » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:49 am

Purchased! Thank you!

Postby Tony1 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:21 am

Don't forget about Mt. McLoughlin east of Medford. Also nearby that peak are Aspen Butte and Pelican Butte. All of them are old volcanic peaks, with McLoughlin being the largest. It is to Medford as Mt. Hood is to Portland.

Also the Trinity Alps in Northern California northwest of Redding for your more "Colorado-like" mountain ranges.

Postby Layne Bracy » Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:48 am

Grayback made for a good spring snowshoe.

http://www.summitpost.org/grayback-mountain-or/152318