Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Gannett Peak WY

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA

Gannett Peak WY

Postby misubri » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:05 am

I am looking for a partner who has previously summited Gannett Peak and knows the route. I have prevously done Elbert, Rainier, Hood, Whitney (mountaineer's route) and other state highpoints and would like to add Gannett to my list. But Gannett is a long way in to question where you are going and if you are on the right route. I have another person also interested, but they have not done this hike either. I am from AZ but even though we don't get much snow here I do have alpine climbing skills. Anyone interested???

Re: Gannett Peak WY

Postby ulvetano » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:29 am

Ah he'll no! No battling those Mosquitos for me this year!!

Postby Carl » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:31 am

No mosquitoes for us in mid August. But also no snow going up and over Bonney, just a lot of scree. I think I'd still take the latter.

Misubri, I wish you luck in finding another partner if that's what you want but for what it's worth I don't think the route finding is difficult. I'll admit we made a wrong turn on the approach but we weren't paying attention and easily corrected ourselves when we pulled out the map. A friend who was trying to climb Gannett roundtrip in single day left the Elkhart trailhead at 8pm the day before us and did the entire approach in the dark without a problem. Once on the glacier if you've looked at a bunch of trip reports beforehand things should make sense. I drew some routes on this pic you might find useful. We used the standard route for the descent.

Postby 14erAddict » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:41 am

I'm doing Gannett the first week of July if you want to join. I'm not doing the Bonney Pass approach, but the standard route (Glacier Trail). It's a longer approach, but a shorter summit day! :)
"In every walk with nature, one receives far more than he seeks" - John Muir

Postby misubri » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:25 pm

Yes I am very interested. For the Glacier Trail route, what is the closest town to start from? Is it still Pinedale? Here is my direct email address: brwilliams@cox.net.

Postby thevagabond » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:20 pm

I am interested in this as well.

Postby rijaca » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:31 pm

misubri wrote: For the Glacier Trail route, what is the closest town to start from? Is it still Pinedale?

Lander/Dubois.
"Spent a little time on the mountain
Spent a little time on the hill"

Postby Carl » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:36 pm

Glacier Trail route is popular, but since it adds 10 miles and a bunch of creek crossings, I think the route we took in from Pinedale (Elkhart TH / Pole Creek trail to Titcomb) is considered by most to be the standard route. Could be wrong.

Our route over Bonney Pass did make for a long summit day.

Postby climbing_rob » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:41 pm

Not interested in going again, but I will add that climbing Gannet peak last year was the highlight of Sharon's and my summer. Fantastic trip. We did the Pinedale/Titcomb basin route and it was drop-dead gorgeous. Longer summit day, alas, but I think worth it for the shear beauty of that approach. We were late July, lots of bugs, wore head-nets, crossed a really skinny snow bridge across the bergshrund (fully roped up), definitely the second overall most difficult of the 50 state high points we've done.

Have fun and enjoy!

PS: watch the speed limits on those "wide open" WY roads.... they are apparently hungry for revenue....

Postby climbing_rob » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:43 pm

Looking at Carl's map, I think we pretty much followed the yellow route both ways, on snow the whole way except a couple places (July 21st).

Postby Coxie2210 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:15 pm

Not sure about the revenue but we hate to see foreigners die on our roads. Your green plates probably don't help you outside the metropolis of Cheyenne either! :-D

Postby mtn_nut » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:43 pm

misubri wrote:I am looking for a partner who has previously summited Gannett Peak and knows the route. I have prevously done Elbert, Rainier, Hood, Whitney (mountaineer's route) and other state highpoints and would like to add Gannett to my list. But Gannett is a long way in to question where you are going and if you are on the right route. I have another person also interested, but they have not done this hike either. I am from AZ but even though we don't get much snow here I do have alpine climbing skills. Anyone interested???

I did gannett from the dubois side (trail lakes) without ever being to the area before, and i didn't find the route finding difficult. the glacier trail is awesome, and yes there are a few rivers that you might have to take your shoes off at and yes the mosquito will probably be bad unless you go in august, but its a great hike and makes for an easier summit day. the best map for the area is the beartooth publishing one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4KqTO2o6i0
(that start time was from the boulderfeild near 10,800')

Next