Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

slow park openings due to budget constraints

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA

Re: slow park openings due to budget constraints

Postby DaveSwink » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:13 am

winmag4582001 wrote:If you employ them, they 100% qualify for unemployment after you lay them off. Not sure who told you they don't, but if one of your employees raises a stink about it.... They may end up owning you.

Unemployment benefits for seasonal workers seems to vary by state: http://money.cnn.com/2012/05/31/news/economy/seasonal-unemployment-benefits/index.htm

In Colorado, the answer seems to be "it depends".
http://www.colorado.gov/cs/Satellite?c=Page&childpagename=CDLE-UnempBenefits%2FCDLELayout&cid=1251574101312&pagename=CDLEWrapper

Postby EatinHardtack » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:31 am

DaveSwink wrote:
winmag4582001 wrote:If you employ them, they 100% qualify for unemployment after you lay them off. Not sure who told you they don't, but if one of your employees raises a stink about it.

http://www.colorado.gov/cs/Satellite?c=Page&childpagename=CDLE-UnempBenefits%2FCDLELayout&cid=1251574101312&pagename=CDLEWrapper

Thank you for the link. This explains it pretty good on the state website winmag4582001.

And on a side note. I do not mind unemployment benefits for seasonals or the govt paying for them. It Just depends on the circumstances per each company or job. Thank you to whom ever above that stated Government seasonals do get unemployment benefits, I did not know that. I do know for my industry you cannot qualify for these benefits when hired as a Seasonal worker with start and ending dates.
"In our youths our hearts were touched with fire" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Postby climbingaggie03 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:37 am

EatinHardtack wrote:
DaveSwink wrote:
winmag4582001 wrote:If you employ them, they 100% qualify for unemployment after you lay them off. Not sure who told you they don't, but if one of your employees raises a stink about it.

Thank you for the link. This explains it pretty good on the state website winmag4582001.

And on a side note. I do not mind unemployment benefits for seasonals or the govt paying for them. It Just depends on the circumstances per each company or job. Thank you to whom ever above that stated Government seasonals do get unemployment benefits, I did not know that. I do know for my industry you cannot qualify for these benefits when hired as a Seasonal worker with start and ending dates.

I'm guessing you're talking about the ski industry? I can tell you from personal experience that even though they tell you you can't have unemployment after the season is over, that all you have to do is fill out the paperwork and you will get unemployment. Also it does vary by state, but usually the employers pay the majority of unemployment benefits (which is why they make you sign saying that you won't collect unemployment)

Postby EatinHardtack » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:45 am

climbingaggie03 wrote:
I'm guessing you're talking about the ski industry? I can tell you from personal experience that even though they tell you you can't have unemployment after the season is over, that all you have to do is fill out the paperwork and you will get unemployment. Also it does vary by state, but usually the employers pay the majority of unemployment benefits (which is why they make you sign saying that you won't collect unemployment)

It is not the ski industry. I also do realize that employers pay the majority of the unemployment benefits. I have had seasonal employees request unemployment before, each has been denied. Not saying that I agree with it though as times are still tough out there for employment.

Postby Dex » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:13 pm

edhaman wrote:Perhaps I misread the article (although I’d have the defense that the article is not clearly written, especially in failing to mention how long the snowplows typically run and how many plows run), but the very first paragraph is:

You've discovered that there is no criteria needed to be a journalist.

Compare medicine, law or accounting to journalism. Medicine, etc require specialized education, advance degrees, testing, and life long education.

No such requirements for a journalist - someone likes you and gives you a job. Now you can write about any subject in the world without any education about that subject.
Montani Semper Liberi
"Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous." Barry Ritholtz

Postby peter303 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:26 pm

Colorado's UE requirement says at least $2500 earned in the previous 12 months. Could be all in one week or $50 a week.
There are two formuals for the weekly benefit: best two quarters divided by 43 or four quarters divided by 104. 10% higher cutoff for the 2nd formula.

Postby EatinHardtack » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:41 pm

peter303 wrote:Colorado's UE requirement says at least $2500 earned in the previous 12 months. Could be all in one week or $50 a week.
There are two formuals for the weekly benefit: best two quarters divided by 43 or four quarters divided by 104. 10% higher cutoff for the 2nd formula.

](*,) ^^^again if you are designated a Full-time employee. I'm done.

Postby edhaman » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:41 pm

It's been abundantly obvious for years, and especially on the internet, that there are no basic requirements to be a "journalist" (or an editor who writes headlines). This is not news to me. Of course, there are only a couple of more requirements to be President.

Postby TallGrass » Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:18 pm

Dex wrote:Compare medicine, law or accounting to journalism. Medicine, etc require specialized education, advance degrees, testing, and life long education.
And you still get malpractice, insufficient counsel, and high fees to "pay off" all that education and certification from self-regulating bodies. Would you rather someone have to take six+ years of college, join a guild, and navigate regulations before they're allowed to exercise freedom of speech (or post)?
Not sure if I'll do more 14ers. The trip reports are too tiring. :wink:

Postby Jump Roper » Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:38 pm

I'm waiting on pins and needles to hear about a seasonal park ranger job that I've applied for. I had to go through interview process and everything but they can't tell me if they are going to be able to hire me or not for two more weeks. (the pain) It is hard to think that they know who they want to hire but can't say anything until a magical date in March.
"Hold on Chuck, we're almost there."

Postby Hungry Jack » Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:04 pm

Dex nailed it. Gotta weigh the opportunity cost of not being open (mostly foregone revenues from fees and concessions) vs the cost of not operating the plows.

But I cannot imagine that even the great Yellowstone generates 30k in daily revenues in spring.

Postby Dex » Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:16 pm

TallGrass wrote: And you still get malpractice, insufficient counsel, and high fees to "pay off" all that education and certification from self-regulating bodies. Would you rather someone have to take six+ years of college, join a guild, and navigate regulations before they're allowed to exercise freedom of speech (or post)?

It isn't an issue of perfection or freedom of speeh. It is an issue of knowledge. When the USA began bloodletting was good medicine. It has grown to specialitist from head to toe. Yet, a journalism hasn't changed from then to now.
Montani Semper Liberi
"Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous." Barry Ritholtz

PreviousNext