Mount Shasta

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Re: Mount Shasta

Post by nyker »

Thanks gb. Quite a difference in snow-level between the two years huh?
ed20320
14ers: 56  10 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (1)

Post by ed20320 »

nyker,

a buddy and I climbed shasta over Memorial day weekend in 2008. we stayed at Lake Helen, hit the summit and came out the next day. we were in no rush so we enjoyed another day on the mountain. the snow was good all the way to the summit.

the first time we were there however (the year prior), we were hunkered down during a violent wind storm. several tents were crushed at various times during the night. when we got up the next morning, there was a huge avalanche that started on the left side of the bowl (looking up from Lake Helen) and traversed what would have been the trail. everyone sort of gathered together, we talked about a few things and then people packed up.

two years, two very different experiences. our 2008 climb couldn't have been any better.

good luck.

Ed
Defy Gravity
gb
14ers: 56  54  6 
13ers: 67 54
Trip Reports (26)

Post by gb »

nyker wrote:Thanks gb. Quite a difference in snow-level between the two years huh?
Big time. Pretty sure Shasta is dry like the rest of CA this year.
spiderman
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (1)

Post by spiderman »

We are also planning a trip to Shasta this summer, possibly over Memorial Day weekend. Let us know your plans as the time approaches.
jchapell
14ers: 26 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (12)

Post by jchapell »

Any reason to use a guide service for Avalanche Gulch / West Face climbs? We are thinking about a May trip as well, though we are probably going mid-May.
Photography Website: http://www.jordanchapell.com
MonGoose
14ers: 58  16  17 
13ers: 51 11 1
Trip Reports (16)

Post by MonGoose »

I'm interested in a Shasta trip this Spring or Summer if anyone is looking for an extra partner.
Shasta Locales
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Shasta Locales »

jchapell wrote:Any reason to use a guide service for Avalanche Gulch / West Face climbs? We are thinking about a May trip as well, though we are probably going mid-May.
That would depend on your experience level. If you're comfortable cramponing and with ice axe/self-arrest you don't need the guide - just follow the crowd up the hill (Av Gulch)

If not, then you would be smart to either learn those things or use a guide service (who will teach you those things).
TheOtherIndian
14ers: 50  7 
13ers: 20
Trip Reports (10)

Post by TheOtherIndian »

I'm very interested in a Shasta trip too! And I live within driving distance of it! Any weekend works for me except Memorial day weekend (when I might actually make a trip to CO) Aspaquel, nyker, anyone else, if you don't mind an extra partner, hit me up!
Anything less than immortality is a complete waste of time. -Bender 'Bending' Rodriguez
jblyth
14ers: 58  5  15 
13ers: 145 8 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jblyth »

TheOtherIndian wrote:I'm very interested in a Shasta trip too! And I live within driving distance of it! Any weekend works for me except Memorial day weekend (when I might actually make a trip to CO) Aspaquel, nyker, anyone else, if you don't mind an extra partner, hit me up!
K - Too bad, Becky and I are headed to Shasta for Memorial Day. Let me know if you change your dates. And....CONGRATS!

Hopefully we can meet up with anyone else who is planning that weekend.

Jason
nyker
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

Memorial Day week might just be around the time I am thinking to be there...I'll update timing when closer
:-k
jchapell
14ers: 26 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (12)

Post by jchapell »

We are beginning to solidify around May 14, preceded by a go at Mt. Hood on the 10-11th.
Photography Website: http://www.jordanchapell.com
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

Did the 2014 CA drought reach as far north as Shasta?
I was at San Jacinto last weekend (way south). Normally it has a couple ffet of snow in Feb. But snow free to the summit.