Zion National Park - - Subway Hike

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
sad2
14ers: 46 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Zion National Park - - Subway Hike

Post by sad2 »

Scott P

Can you recommend a guide company in that area? Most likely, we will choose the Subway Round Trip from Left Fork(bottom) Trailhead rather than
the Subway Through Hike from Wildcat to Left Fork Trailhead?

However, I'd like to get more information from local guides on costs and their thoughts.

Thanks.
mtgirl
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 104
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtgirl »

I'm pretty sure guiding isn't allowed in the Subway.......but the folks at Zion Adventure Company in Springdale (who will provide shuttle services) are full of good, current information. I've done the Subway route from the top to bottom, and it's truly spectacular for those who possess the correct technical canyoneering skills. Not an overly difficult canyon, but having the correct equipment with the knowledge of it's use is mandatory.

If memory serves me correctly, if you do the roundtrip hike from the bottom, you will still need to ascend a knotted rope (maybe 25 feet) that was left there to see the Subway feature itself. When I was there years ago, it was in poor condition and I wouldn't have trusted my weight on it. I set up my own rope and rappelled down this feature instead.
"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."
sad2
14ers: 46 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by sad2 »

mtgirl wrote:I'm pretty sure guiding isn't allowed in the Subway.......but the folks at Zion Adventure Company in Springdale (who will provide shuttle services) are full of good, current information. I've done the Subway route from the top to bottom, and it's truly spectacular for those who possess the correct technical canyoneering skills. Not an overly difficult canyon, but having the correct equipment with the knowledge of it's use is mandatory.

If memory serves me correctly, if you do the roundtrip hike from the bottom, you will still need to ascend a knotted rope (maybe 25 feet) that was left there to see the Subway feature itself. When I was there years ago, it was in poor condition and I wouldn't have trusted my weight on it. I set up my own rope and rappelled down this feature instead.

Sorry I should have clarified. Not a guide to accompany us during the hike, but a guide company prior to the actual hike to get some experience with equipment. Thanks.
gearhunter
Trip Reports (0)

Post by gearhunter »

True. There are no guide services in the park.

Why not take a 2-3 day Canyoneeirng course. I did several years back with Zion Mountain School. Had a great time and now there is a whole new world opened up for me.

http://www.zionmountainschool.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

If memory serves me correctly, if you do the roundtrip hike from the bottom, you will still need to ascend a knotted rope (maybe 25 feet) that was left there to see the Subway feature itself.
Occasionally, there has been a rope at Labyrinth Falls, to get above the Subway from the bottom, but the park service removes all ropes left behind when they are in there and encourages all hikers to do the same. In fact, leaving ropes behind is illegal.

You don't need to climb anything to get to the Subway from the bottom, only to get above it.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
mtgirl
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 104
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtgirl »

Scott......See below picture. Isn't this drop in between the pretty green pools that everyone photographs and the actual Subway feature itself ? You can see the rope on the right side of the picture that I didn't want to trust my weight on (that's why I set my own rappel). My memory is terrible lately, but I thought you had to ascend this if you wanted to see the Subway feature (with the log in the middle) ?? If so, how would you ascend it without a set rope if doing the route from the bottom up ? Many people were using that rope that day to go up and down......no way I was cutting their safety line.

"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."