Wind River backpacking trip

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Wind River backpacking trip

Post by Dave B »

After driving past the southern side yesterday, I'm trying to plan a three day trip into the Winds for mid-September and, to be honest, I'm a bit overwhelmed with all the options and the abundance of information from disparate sources is tough to cobble together. I found this thread, but it's planning for a 6 day trip and I'm unsure how the suggestions offered would translate to a shorter trip.

Most of what we're looking for is a relaxing backpacking trip to wind-down an otherwise productive summer. In other words, we're not looking at bagging peaks at all, we simply want some beautiful scenery, nice campsites and non-grueling hiking (difficulty equivalent of the 4-pass loop).

I'd like to keep the mileage in the 25-30 mile range (higher if minimum elevation gain can be achieved). We'd like the last day to be short enough so that we don't need a pre-dawn start to get back to the car before noon (i.e. 5-7 miles).

Solitude would be nice as well so we'd like to avoid the Cirque and Gannett approaches if possible. Would also prefer south-side access since the drive is shorter.

Thanks in advance!
Make wilderness less accessible.
Kent McLemore
14ers: 11 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Wind River backpacking trip

Post by Kent McLemore »

No Winds expert here, but Indian Basin from Elkhart Park meets your criteria. Maybe 30 miles RT. Titcomb Basin can be worked in easily. The elevation gain is gentle compared to most Colorado backpacks. Once in Indian Basin I saw 3 people in 3 days. If you prefer to camp below treeline, the lakes along the way offer many nice sites. PM me if you want more info or would like to see photos. It is a magnificent area.
-km
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Maybe try Stough Lakes or the cirque around Temple Lake.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
geojed
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138 13
Trip Reports (29)

Post by geojed »

I'd say, head up towards the East Fork Valley area from Big Sandy via the Fremont Trail - Hailey Pass Trail - Pyramid Lake Trail. You could camp there and do a day trip to Baptiste Lake over Hailey Pass and then hike out to Marms Lake to make your last day shorter. The jaw-dropping views of the East Fork Valley and Mt Hooker (a Mini-me of El Capitan) are relatively hidden gems in the Wind Rivers.
East Fork Valley
Mt Hooker

Here are a couple of quick maps I made of it. http://ridewithgps.com/routes/3204448" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4.p ... &z=13&t=t4
• It's by getting away from life that we can see it most clearly... It's by depriving ourselves of the myriad of everyday experiences that we renew our appreciation for them...I've learned from my experiences in the mountains that I love life. — Dave Johnston
• Mountains are not climbed merely to reach a geographical location — but as personal and spiritual challenges to the participants. — David Stein
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B »

Great suggestions so far, Thanks!

Jed, Mt Hooker looks pretty nice, thanks for the map! It almost seems like you can't go wrong anywhere in the winds.
Make wilderness less accessible.
Bullwinkle
14ers: 43 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (7)

Post by Bullwinkle »

Did a hike there awhile back that seems suitable for your description. Out of Pinedale on US 191, turn east and go past Fremont Lake on your left to the TH. From there it is a wonderful hike back to the Titcomb Lakes area. Ascending Dinwoody Pass (optional) for a wonderful view of Gannett.
As a mountain more fully reveals itself to a man, so the true nature of the man will be more fully revealed
mtn_nut
14ers: 58  14 
13ers: 35 1
Trip Reports (5)

Post by mtn_nut »

http://goo.gl/maps/ip4Ik" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

i did this loop last july, and it was a beautiful hike. its around 55 miles or so, but if you have a 4wd you can cut off a few miles and get to the upper trailhead. the valley leading from little sandy lake to temple pass is beautiful.

you can make a shorter loop by going off trail from the upper sandy lake valley to coon lake and following tayo creek to reconnect to my loop. pm me if you have specific questions about routing.

Also, be aware that the "popular" areas are pretty empty in comparison to the popular areas in colorado.
Last edited by mtn_nut on Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
lpyle
14ers: 20  2 
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Post by lpyle »

Depending on whether you go on the weekend or not, Titcomb Basin can be very crowded. Don't get me wrong, it's gorgeous, but if you're looking for solitude you may not get it. Mid-September will be better than the middle of summer, so if you go during the week, it might be OK.

We did a loop hike a couple of years ago in the Deep Creek area. It was beautiful, and we didn't see many people. We did it as a day hike, about 18 miles. You might be able to extend it a bit - I'm not sure without digging out a map. Here are a couple of pictures:
deep lake.jpg
deep lake.jpg (342.02 KiB) Viewed 3185 times
Deep Lake
cirque from deep lake.jpg
cirque from deep lake.jpg (189.3 KiB) Viewed 3185 times
Cirque of the Towers from Deep Lake

PM if you want more info...we've done an annual trip in the Winds almost every year for about the last 15 years, so we have lots of pictures and ideas for loops.

Oh, and BTW, it's a shorter drive to the southern end of the winds, but the drive to the trailheads on the southern end of the range can be long. Be sure to have a good spare.
"I believe that if you set out on an adventure and you're absolutely convinced you are going to be successful, why bother starting?"
- Sir Edmund Hillary
uwe
14ers: 58 
13ers: 45
Trip Reports (0)

Post by uwe »

Did a trip report on Gannett Peak, 2009 I think.
While you do not have to do that peak, it has some info that may be use.

Best of luck. That is a gorgeous area!
skiwall
14ers: 2 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (1)

Post by skiwall »

lpyle wrote:Depending on whether you go on the weekend or not, Titcomb Basin can be very crowded. Don't get me wrong, it's gorgeous, but if you're looking for solitude you may not get it. Mid-September will be better than the middle of summer, so if you go during the week, it might be OK.
There are also a few lakes in basins just before you get to Titcomb. I've camped there a few times and not seen anybody (but then ran into people when we climbed some of the nearby peaks the next day). I wish I had that map here, although I'm not sure they have names. That hike in is absolutely amazing.

I know you know this, but be sure to take plenty of warm stuff. Our water froze solid and there was lots of ice on the peaks a few years ago over Labor Day weekend. We knew it was going to be cold, but I was surprised that it was cold enough to freeze all of our water solid. Temps during the afternoon were quite pleasant.
"A good woman knows her place is in the backcountry." - PW '08
HuskyRunner
14ers: 22  1 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (1)

Post by HuskyRunner »

Your chances of finding some solitude in the Winds increases greatly by picking a less popular trailhead or increasing the off trail hiking on your trip. We did a trip out of Pinedale (Elkheart Park) just 2 weeks ago and the parking lot was packed but for 4 days we saw few people, 2 nights we had beautiful lakes to ourselves. Tons of people going in, and out, of the Island Lake and Titcomb Basin area but a little off trail hiking and we left the crowds behind.

Typically there are 3 areas where you will see a ton of people:
- Green River Lakes TH and down through the Highline/Freemont/CDT
- Elkheart Park TH going to Island Lake and Titcomb Basin
- Big Sandy Opening heading to the Cirque of the Towers and Dad's and Marm's Lakes.

You can put together a nice loop through all of these areas though and by including a bit of off trail hiking you can get away from people after about the initial 10 miles from the TH.

Off trail in the Winds can be anything from gentle terrain that's no harder than on trail hiking or heinous talus hopping. If you come up with a loop and want some suggestions for a little off trail portion let me know. Looked at your profile and given your experience I would guess you're an accomplished off trail navigator?
"I made up my mind not to care so much about the destination, and simply enjoy the journey." David Archuleta
"And if they get out there they see, son of a bitch, this is a beautiful planet." Jim Whittaker
shearmodulus
14ers: 18  1  1 
Trip Reports (6)

Post by shearmodulus »

There is extensive beetle kill and fire damage on the areas outside of Half Moon lake near Pinedale, so the deadfall is heinous. Any off trail travel will feature significant log-hopping. That being said, we had the entire place to ourselves in October for three weeks. Never saw another human being except for our group.
"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads...."