Winter Weekend Suggestions

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
jchapell
14ers: 26 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (12)

Winter Weekend Suggestions

Post by jchapell »

My fantastic wife has suggested a winter hiking weekend for my 30th birthday (Dec. 12-15). Our base case would be to fly to Denver, but given the 2.5 days of hiking we will have and short time to acclimate to altitude from sea level in St. Louis, we are trying to think if there are any other options. We have hiked above 13k several times the day after arriving, but would hate to have this be that one time where it didn't work very well. IF we did go to CO, we would probably do one of the non-avy prone routes like Pikes or Quandary.

Any suggestions of lower elevation winter hikes/snowshoes that would be worthwhile? Given our short timeframe, I'm thinking <5 hours from an airport, accessible in a normal rental SUV, and where avalanche risk isn't a factor? Mid December flights are pretty cheap from STL, so CA, WA, NV, NM etc. could be options as well as CO. I'd love to hear your thoughts!
Photography Website: http://www.jordanchapell.com
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Re: Winter Weekend Suggestions

Post by peter303 »

On the drive in on I-70, take Loveland Pass instead of the tunnel. 9the pass closes when it is snowing) Park at the taop and hike the southwest ridge. There is a 13er at the highest point of the ridge. You have the same above-treeline views as a 14er.
The wind using keeps the first part of hike snow-free enough to not require special equipment nor worry about avalanches. The same wind makes it feel very cold too.