Moab (Utah) Trail Running

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
goingup
14ers: 58  21 
13ers: 295 1 4
Trip Reports (33)

Moab (Utah) Trail Running

Post by goingup »

Hello Friends,

Making a trip out to Moab/Canyonlands over Thanksgiving Break and was wondering if there were any must do trail running recommendations. Have been to Utah but never the Moab area.

Ideally runs with some class 3/4 scrambling and a healthy amount of elevation gain would be ideal. Or long and scenic. Or anything that is something worth checking out while there.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
through being cool
tlongpine
14ers: 27  1  2 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (4)

Re: Moab (Utah) Trail Running

Post by tlongpine »

How far? Which district of Canyonlands?

http://www.irunfar.com/2012/10/trail-ru ... -utah.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I am unable to walk away from the mountain without climbing it. An unclimbed mountain tugs at my consciousness with the eternal weight of time itself. Until I've pressed my face into it's alpine winds, hugged it's ancient granite walls, and put it's weathered summit beneath my heal I'm unable to resist it's attraction.Knowing nature gives the mountain more time than she gives us adds urgency to the obsession. As has been said before; the mountain doesn't care.

It can wait forever. I cannot.
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

I've run inside the national parks there, combining sightseeing with exercise.

Two run-hikes in Arches are (1) the trail to Delicate Arch which is rocky and has climbing, and the Devil Gardens trail at the end of the road. Delicate Arch gets crodwd in the afternoon and sunset.
In north Ganyonlands there is the Dome loop (which is too rocky for my taste) and umarked trails by the Grand View rim. The road down into valley is well-graded, but has too much truck traffic.
goingup
14ers: 58  21 
13ers: 295 1 4
Trip Reports (33)

Post by goingup »

tlongpine wrote:How far? Which district of Canyonlands?

http://www.irunfar.com/2012/10/trail-ru ... -utah.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Found that website was hoping for some personal opinions on here. In the 20 + or - 5 miles range...not afraid of distance.
through being cool
pbakwin
14ers: 56 
13ers: 64
Trip Reports (19)

Post by pbakwin »

There's tons. +1 for the Gold Bar Rim / Golden Spike / Poison Spider route. Anything off of I-Sky & down onto the White Rim Rd & back up another way is excellent. The coolest of those isn't on the map, but right from Grandview Pt you can scramble down an old "trail" and intersect the W.R. Near Junction Butte. Scrambling up the Butte is also very cool. The primative loop out by Landscape Arch in ANP is excellent. Lots you can put together in the Needles too! Hard to go wrong out there.
planet54
14ers: 58 
13ers: 20
Trip Reports (0)

Post by planet54 »

I think the Needles District is the best. It is roughly an hour + from Moab though. Start at Elephant Hill, go to Chesler Park, the Joint Trail, maybe Druid Arch. Expect slickrock, sand and dirt trails and a little bit of scrambling. Not very much elevation gain. I've been there a bunch of times and it never gets old. :)
Attachments
Needles.jpg
Needles.jpg (182.35 KiB) Viewed 3024 times
I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H D Thoreau
CBinmt
Trip Reports (0)

Post by CBinmt »

Here's a GE track of an 11 mile route in the Needles (Big Springs/Elephant Canyons), I did it as a hike but felt it would be a fine run. A bit or route finding caused some delay. If this seems too short detour to Druid Arch and for even more distance, route thru Chesler Park. You even get to climbs some ladders. Hopefully the file goes thru.
Tory Wells
14ers: 46 
13ers: 24
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Tory Wells »

I can recommend Druid Arch as a great trail run in Canyonlands. About 11 mi RT over rolling terrain and a fun trail up Elephant Canyon to the arch. There are some opportunities for scrambling when you reach the arch.

One I have not done yet but REALLY want to is the run to Angel Arch, the largest arch in Canyonlands and truly spectacular. Apparently it is quite remote and the shortest trail to Angel Arch is 20 miles RT.

Not my photo, but this is Angel Arch and 'The Molar'.
"Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, am I." -David Gilmour, Pink Floyd

"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?
-Steve Gladbach
tlongpine
14ers: 27  1  2 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (4)

Post by tlongpine »

planet54 wrote:I think the Needles District is the best. It is roughly an hour + from Moab though. Start at Elephant Hill, go to Chesler Park, the Joint Trail, maybe Druid Arch. Expect slickrock, sand and dirt trails and a little bit of scrambling. Not very much elevation gain. I've been there a bunch of times and it never gets old. :)
+1
I am unable to walk away from the mountain without climbing it. An unclimbed mountain tugs at my consciousness with the eternal weight of time itself. Until I've pressed my face into it's alpine winds, hugged it's ancient granite walls, and put it's weathered summit beneath my heal I'm unable to resist it's attraction.Knowing nature gives the mountain more time than she gives us adds urgency to the obsession. As has been said before; the mountain doesn't care.

It can wait forever. I cannot.