Portland 1/25-1/26

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
binvers2
14ers: 21  1 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Portland 1/25-1/26

Post by binvers2 »

I'll be visiting Portland and would be interested in climbing something nearby and looking for a partner(s). Maybe St Helens? I have limited winter experience, but all of the gear, so hopefully able to pair with someone with more hands on experience for the short time I'm there.
SurfNTurf
14ers: 58  28 
13ers: 127 7
Trip Reports (48)

Re: Portland 1/25-1/26

Post by SurfNTurf »

Bring me back Deschutes, please.
“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper
wildlobo71
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 88
Trip Reports (3)

Post by wildlobo71 »

SurfNTurf wrote:Bring me back Deschutes, please.
So pedestrian...

Bring me back 2 growlers from Hair of the Dog.
Bill W.

Time for the next great losing streak to begin.
#forcedrefocus
Kiefer
14ers: 58  39 
13ers: 317 24
Trip Reports (20)

Post by Kiefer »

Seriously. If you go, visit Rogue Brewery. I'll GLADLY pay for a few bombers of Dead Guy and Integrity.
Good luck with your trip! Last time I was up there, I remember permits being needed for St. Helens. Might want to research that.
SurfNTurf
14ers: 58  28 
13ers: 127 7
Trip Reports (48)

Post by SurfNTurf »

wildlobo71 wrote:
SurfNTurf wrote:Bring me back Deschutes, please.
So pedestrian...

Bring me back 2 growlers from Hair of the Dog.
I actually don't care what she brings back. She'll finally be out of the picture for a whole weekend and Remy and I can officially become BFFs.
“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper
yedi
Trip Reports (0)

Post by yedi »

Kiefer wrote:Last time I was up there, I remember permits being needed for St. Helens. Might want to research that.
Yeah, permits are needed. They're free in winter, but you have to get them in person at the Lone Fir Resort, instead of through their online system.
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

Note the permitted trail head is from the south side of the mountain which a different road to the the park visitors center on the north side.
I dont think the north road is even open in the winter. The road is about 25 miles in from I-5, so you dont want to take the wrong one.
lazy climber
14ers: 19 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by lazy climber »

You will need a permit,it is free you will also need a snow park pass and it is not free, roughly $5 per day. You should be able to get them both at the Lone Fir Resort in Cougar. The trail head starts at the Marble Mount Snow Park parking. This is the only access that has been open the last few years.

It is roughly a 4 mile ( give or take a bit) one way hike with about 5K foot elevation gain, most of it above tree line.

I have not been up this year so do not know for sure but usually there is a fair boot path up the hill.

email me if you want more info.

SG