Camping in California

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
JTOlson26
14ers: 20 
Trip Reports (1)

Camping in California

Post by JTOlson26 »

Hello and a merry Christmas season to all!

I am currently in the planning stages of a large road trip for this summer and am becoming a bit discouraged at what I am finding out about California. I promised one of my friends who moved to the San Fran area for work that I would swing that way during the trip and I figured while I was heading that way I would check out Kings Canyon, Yosemite and and the Trinity Alps Wilderness.

Now, I knew that Yosemite would be crazy as far as access/camping permits for the backcountry so I hadn't planned on staying the night in that area. I would like to spend a couple days in the Inyo National Forest area in and around Kings Canyon to do some hiking and exploring. Does anyone have any suggestions as to a good place to stash the 4runner at a TH and be able to head into the woods for a few days without a lot of red tape?

I was hoping to also spend a couple days in the Trinity Alps Wilderness without too much of a hassle as far as permits and the like are concerned. Is this a reasonable goal or should I expect to have to obtain a permit for camping in all of these areas?

Any suggestions and advice is greatly appreciated! It's been a while since I've been to the Republic of California and never have I attempted overnight backpacking trips in that state. Thanks!

JT
Last edited by JTOlson26 on Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
painless4u2
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (8)

Re: Camping in California

Post by painless4u2 »

Kings Canyon and Sequoia N.P. offer endless opportunities for wilderness backpacking. One nice one (although maybe too short for you) to check out was described as a favorite hike in Backpacker: http://www.backpacker.com/january-2010- ... ions/13731" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

One thing to keep in mind is the permit requirements:
•Wilderness permits are required year-round for all overnight trips. Day hiking and camping in designated car campgrounds does not require a wilderness permit.
•During the busiest time period (late May to late September) the parks protect wilderness areas by using a trailhead quota system to regulate the number of backpackers starting each trail, each day.

edit: You can continue the hike to make it longer if desired. Here's a TR to Moose Lake from Pear Lake: http://www.goldenstatephoto.com/travel/local/mooselake/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Beautiful place, enjoy!
Bad decisions often make good stories.

IPAs + Ambien = "14ers" post (Bill M.)

In their hearts humans plan their course, but the Lord establishes their steps. Proverbs 16:9
JTOlson26
14ers: 20 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by JTOlson26 »

painless4u2,

That seems like an awesome trip. If I reserve a permit early, do I have to reserve for a specific date or is it possible to reserve for a range of dates?
painless4u2
Trip Reports (8)

Post by painless4u2 »

You'll need to specify entry and exit dates:
RESERVATIONS
Reservation applications for trips taking place within the quota period are only accepted by fax or by US mail. Reservations can be made no earlier than midnight March 1st, and no later than two weeks prior to the trip. (Note: the popular "Lakes Trail" to Emerald Lake and Pear Lake is non-reservable. First come, first served.)
Here is the site for reservations with instructions:

http://www.nps.gov/seki/planyourvisit/u ... tApp-3.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bad decisions often make good stories.

IPAs + Ambien = "14ers" post (Bill M.)

In their hearts humans plan their course, but the Lord establishes their steps. Proverbs 16:9
Teresa Gergen
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Teresa Gergen »

You can reserve a permit to start at an Inyo NF TH online, 6 months in advance. You need to specify the entry and exit date and trail. It's reasonably painless now. With an Inyo permit, you are allowed to cross over into SEKI and camp, but there are more rules on the SEKI side (you always need a bear can, for one; only some Inyo trails have mandatory bear can regulations).

http://www.recreation.gov/unifSearchInt ... 1009473456" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You still have to pick up your permit in person, the day before or morning of your hike. It is possible to arrange for the permit to be left in a drop box outside the ranger stations if you can't get there before the office closes and want to start before they open. You have to call a day or two before the entry date, and they'll give you their lecture about rules and regs over the phone, and the code to get in the drop box.

As long as you aren't choosing a highly popular trail and can afford the time to show up at the ranger station in Bishop or Lone Pine after 11 am the day before or 8 am the day of, and wait in line, it's likely that you'll be able to get a walk-in permit. Be there 30-60 min before to get in line. Virtually all Inyo trails have quotas during peak season limiting the number of people allowed in on that trail per day. The quota system ignores how many days you want to stay in, although they want the exit info for the permit.

Any trails in the Whitney Zone have much more difficult permit requirements, involving a lottery.

I have never tried to avoid getting a permit. While backpacking in the Sierra, I have asked "locals" which rules you can bend and which you can't. People generally seemed horrified by the idea.

However, there are shuttle services on the east side of the Sierra:
http://eastsidesierrashuttle.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

There are pretty adamant about bear canisters too at most permit pick up places.
Thats one of the main reasons they want to see you in person.
summit2sea
Trip Reports (1)

Post by summit2sea »

I had a lot of success at Mineral King area in the Sequoia/Kings Canyon National Parks, off the beaten track and not really accessible to the RV crowd. I went up there several times while living in California, and never had any troubles with base camping spots or access to the backcountry. Only issue I recall is that the marmots are voracious!

http://www.nps.gov/seki/planyourvisit/what_mk_sum.htm
Shasta Locales
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Shasta Locales »

Dex wrote:
peter303 wrote:There are pretty adamant about bear canisters too at most permit pick up places.
Thats one of the main reasons they want to see you in person.
When I was in the Tetons the ranger station at Jenny lake had a lot of those that they would lend to you. It might be worth a call to the ranger station.
The ranger stations in Bishop and Lone Pine rent bear cans, yes.