Soloing Mt. Charleston Monday

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
climbing_rob
14ers: 58 
13ers: 121
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Soloing Mt. Charleston Monday

Post by climbing_rob »

sdgull wrote:
climbing_rob wrote:Hate to hijack anything here, but we'll be attempting Telescope peak early January. Are conditions on Charleston indicative of those on Telescope? (I'll make SURE everyone on the hike is well equipped and qualified.........)
You would be more successful starting a new thread. "I hate to hijack anything here, but I will do it anyway...."
Well, you're probably right, I should have quoted the gentleman that lives in Vegas and can see these ranges. I'm not sure where Charleston is, thought it might be in the same range as Telescope. So, it is related to this thread, but thanks for acting as the Thread Police!
sdgull
Trip Reports (0)

Post by sdgull »

hornpeak wrote:Please tell us how it went! I'm hoping to climb it sometime later this winter.
I certainly will give a detailed report. Time for bed.... up early tomorrow.
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B »

sdgull wrote:
climbing_rob wrote:Hate to hijack anything here, but we'll be attempting Telescope peak early January. Are conditions on Charleston indicative of those on Telescope? (I'll make SURE everyone on the hike is well equipped and qualified.........)
You would be more successful starting a new thread. "I hate to hijack anything here, but I will do it anyway...."
No he wouldn't have. There aren't a whole lotta threads on 14ers.com about 11,000 ft. Nevada peaks. Consolidation is a valuable skill, much like knowing what "soloing" means.
Make wilderness less accessible.
sdgull
Trip Reports (0)

Post by sdgull »

Dave B wrote:
sdgull wrote:
No he wouldn't have. There aren't a whole lotta threads on 14ers.com about 11,000 ft. Nevada peaks. Consolidation is a valuable skill, much like knowing what "soloing" means.
Hopefully he gets the info he needs here. I don't think too many people will look under a title of Mt. Charleston hoping to learn about Telescope, I could be wrong... it happens 1-2 times a year.

As for what soloing means... I assumed it meant "making the trip by yourself". I didn't think it meant you have to do it void of all/any information that may pertain to your trip.

I had a great trip today by the way. What did you do?
sdgull
Trip Reports (0)

Post by sdgull »

I had a great trip today. Thanks to everyone that participated in my thread.

I started at Trail Canyon TH at 6:30am and made it back down by 3pm.

Microspikes did a great job up until about 11,000', past that you def need snow shoes, the snow was about mid thigh deep without them.

Coming back down was tricky, lots of mud/slush. Going up was compacted snow/ice below 11,000'. Past 11,000 I was breaking trail.

I live in Texas, so this was a good opportunity for me to get out and test out some new gear and work through the altitude. My next trip is in March for my second attempt of Long's Peak and the surrounding mtns in RMNP.
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B »

sdgull wrote:
Whoaaa, zing goes the entitled texan who lacks google search skills! Go get 'em brother.
Make wilderness less accessible.
sdgull
Trip Reports (0)

Post by sdgull »

Dave B wrote:
sdgull wrote:
Whoaaa, zing goes the entitled texan who lacks google search skills! Go get 'em brother.
Thank you. You are welcome to come do Long's Peak with us in March. Would love an old guy to take us young guns to school. Show us how they used to do it in the old days. Fort Collins isn't to far from Estes, one of my best friends teachs high school up there.

Come climb with us, we are always looking to learn from the pros. (Google just doesn't always get the job done)
hornpeak
Trip Reports (0)

Post by hornpeak »

I'm glad you made it!!! I'm sorry I could not offer more help. Sorry I was jammed up at work or I would have gone with you! Let me know when you are back in town.
sdgull
Trip Reports (0)

Post by sdgull »

hornpeak wrote:I'm glad you made it!!! I'm sorry I could not offer more help. Sorry I was jammed up at work or I would have gone with you! Let me know when you are back in town.
I come out to Vegas 1-2 times a year, I would love to do it again when the South Loop trail is open.

Merry Christmas to you and your family.
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

sdgull,

With the South loop closed for the time being, how is the North Loop trail? Sounds like you started from the end of Echo Road on Route 157? Is there parking there? I heard there is a gate that closes at dark so if you don't get back in time before the gate closes for the night, you have to leave the car there. Last year on the South Loop heading up, no traction was needed, but at about 9000 Snowshoes became pretty essential.

I may be there next week to give it a shot, but I've never hiked in from that side.