Soloing Mt. Charleston Monday

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
sdgull
Trip Reports (0)

Soloing Mt. Charleston Monday

Post by sdgull »

I am looking for a solo summit of Mt. Charleston on Monday.

Any advice? Start time? Turn around time?

Weather conditions?

Need Snow Shoes?

Approx roundtrip time frame?
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Re: Soloing Mt. Charleston Monday

Post by Dave B »

Doesn't "soloing" something imply a modicum of self sufficiency?

Check NOAA for a weather forecast, carry snow shoes and stash them if not needed. Start early and turn around when things seem to be too bad to continue.
Make wilderness less accessible.
sdgull
Trip Reports (0)

Post by sdgull »

Well until I get some useful info from this forum, which I haven't had yet, then yes.... it's still considering "soloing".

:-)
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

:lol:
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
hornpeak
Trip Reports (0)

Post by hornpeak »

If you are talking about the Mt. Charleston behind Las Vegas it got a new snow last night. What trailhead were you going to use?? I can see the summit from my office and it looks like a fair amount of snow fell.
sdgull
Trip Reports (0)

Post by sdgull »

I read the south loop trail is closed until 2014. So, I am planning on taking the North Loop Trail.

I am flying out there today. I'm looking forward to spending some time up there by myself, my climbing partner has some responsibilities at home. Any immediate dangers I may want to be aware of? I hope to do the roundtrip in 9 hours.
sdgull
Trip Reports (0)

Post by sdgull »

I rented my snow shoes today, for my summit attempt on Monday early AM.

I am considering doing the trail canyon trail to the summit, instead of the north loop trail.

Anyone have any thoughts?
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

I've been up there the past couple of winters in January.

Your enjoyment and success will nearly completely be dictated by the conditions and weather. If there is not much snow, these are easy but moderately long hikes, in heavier snow they can be tougher. I would bring snowshoes to be safe and (depending on how fast you move) start no later than 7AM, ideally before sunrise for a day trip.

My plan for each trip was to hit Griffith then Charleston the next day, both as daytrips from the south loop. I underestimated the terrain up there in winter conditions. See pics here from Jan 2013.

As luck would have it on each trip, there was significant new snow the day or two before (12+" lower down and 20" higher up plus drifting) which made for tough conditions to say the least. I did not summit on either trip. This makes the route a bit hard, particularly due to routefinding but also the necessary postholing. At times, visibility as about 50 yards or less when it was snowing.

In more than one instance, I wasn't able to drive the car much past the police station due to ice on the road. So take note of road conditions if there is weather moving in since this will make a LONG approach like an extra 5-10 miles.

On the last trip, about vertical 500ft before the summit, the ground gave way, dropped a 3" and I heard a "crack" like a muffled shotgun, after which I turned around.

I saw Mountain lion tracks twice in the first mile from the road which made for interesting approach in. Parts of the route are closed and they will give you a $250 fine if you are within the yellow taped section.

Have fun! Its a beautiful area up there.
Attachments
DSC_0095.JPG
DSC_0095.JPG (149.9 KiB) Viewed 2278 times
DSC_0100.JPG
DSC_0100.JPG (168.07 KiB) Viewed 2278 times
climbing_rob
14ers: 58 
13ers: 121
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbing_rob »

Hate to hijack anything here, but we'll be attempting Telescope peak early January. Are conditions on Charleston indicative of those on Telescope? (I'll make SURE everyone on the hike is well equipped and qualified.........)
sdgull
Trip Reports (0)

Post by sdgull »

climbing_rob wrote:Hate to hijack anything here, but we'll be attempting Telescope peak early January. Are conditions on Charleston indicative of those on Telescope? (I'll make SURE everyone on the hike is well equipped and qualified.........)
You would be more successful starting a new thread. "I hate to hijack anything here, but I will do it anyway...."
sdgull
Trip Reports (0)

Post by sdgull »

nyker wrote:I've been up there the past couple of winters in January.

Your enjoyment and success will nearly completely be dictated by the conditions and weather. If there is not much snow, these are easy but moderately long hikes, in heavier snow they can be tougher. I would bring snowshoes to be safe and (depending on how fast you move) start no later than 7AM, ideally before sunrise for a day trip.

My plan for each trip was to hit Griffith then Charleston the next day, both as daytrips from the south loop. I underestimated the terrain up there in winter conditions. See pics here from Jan 2013.

As luck would have it on each trip, there was significant new snow the day or two before (12+" lower down and 20" higher up plus drifting) which made for tough conditions to say the least. I did not summit on either trip. This makes the route a bit hard, particularly due to routefinding but also the necessary postholing. At times, visibility as about 50 yards or less when it was snowing.

In more than one instance, I wasn't able to drive the car much past the police station due to ice on the road. So take note of road conditions if there is weather moving in since this will make a LONG approach like an extra 5-10 miles.

On the last trip, about vertical 500ft before the summit, the ground gave way, dropped a 3" and I heard a "crack" like a muffled shotgun, after which I turned around.

I saw Mountain lion tracks twice in the first mile from the road which made for interesting approach in. Parts of the route are closed and they will give you a $250 fine if you are within the yellow taped section.

Have fun! Its a beautiful area up there.
Thanks for the info. I have been watching the weather closely. It looks like it will be around 25 degrees by my start time and then gradually warm up to the 40's with very minimal wind. No new snow is in the forecast. My biggest concern is going to be accurate route finding and now that you mention it, I guess mountain lions. Damn.

I am hoping to start at 5am. Hoping to summit and back before 5pm. I am brining microspikes, snow shoes, wind gear, gaiters, gloves, 5 liters of water, extra socks, and a change of clothes (face mask, goggles) etc.
hornpeak
Trip Reports (0)

Post by hornpeak »

Please tell us how it went! I'm hoping to climb it sometime later this winter.