Best time for Great Basin NP

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
bohlsen
14ers: 26 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (1)

Best time for Great Basin NP

Post by bohlsen »

I'm thinking of heading down to Great Basin National Park to climb Wheeler Peak and potentially Notch Peak (UT) sometime this spring or summer. Any suggestions on when would be the best time for the trip? Notch is supposed to be rather uncomfortable to do in the summer due to the heat but I'm not sure I would want to do Wheeler too early since its higher and is likely to hold snow later. I have an ice axe and would be comfortable crossing the occasional snowfield but I don't really want to do the entire thing as a snow hike or have to worry about avalanches. I suppose if the drought in the Southwest way continues for much longer this winter then snow might be a non-issue but I'd appreciate feedback in any case.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Re: Best time for Great Basin NP

Post by Scott P »

Usually the road isn't open to the Wheeler Trailhead until Memorial Day weekend. It is sometimes later than that in heavy snow years. Earlier than that, you can still climb the mountain, but you have to start on the Leman Creek Trail.

Late September might be good as most of the time (not always!) the snow will be gone from Wheeler and Notch Peak will not be so hot.

June would be good for either, but there will be snow on Wheeler. Bring an ice axe. Normally, the standard Wheeler route shouldn't have avalanche danger in June, but you should get a very early start and climb when the snow is firm.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
Turtle Boy
14ers: 18  1 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Turtle Boy »

We did Wheeler the last week of August (2012) the last of a peak bagging trip through UT, CA and NV. We had great weather but had to be wary of T-Storms as they were a constant factor in the afternoon. We planned on being down by noon. Heat was not an issue due to altitude. Moving into September would probably make weather timing easier.
kaiman
Trip Reports (10)

Post by kaiman »

Scott P wrote:Usually the road isn't open to the Wheeler Trailhead until Memorial Day weekend. It is sometimes later than that in heavy snow years. Earlier than that, you can still climb the mountain, but you have to start on the Leman Creek Trail.

Late September might be good as most of the time (not always!) the snow will be gone from Wheeler and Notch Peak will not be so hot.

June would be good for either, but there will be snow on Wheeler. Bring an ice axe. Normally, the standard Wheeler route shouldn't have avalanche danger in June, but you should get a very early start and climb when the snow is firm.
Good advice from Scott. I would just add that it somewhat depends on the year. In 2008 for instance, during my first trip to Great Basin in the third week of June there was hardly any snow on Wheeler, but on my second trip through the area in 2011, in late July there was quite a bit of snow on all the peaks we summited. So find out the snow conditions out there when making a decision on when to go.

As far as Notch is concerned, I don't remember it being too terribly hot when I climbed it in late July. Of course I also climbed all over in the White Mountains and spent time in 100+ degree heat in Lone Pine on my way to the Sierras during that trip so my memory may be altered.

BTW - If you plan on camping in any of the campgrounds in Great Basin you will want to get reservations a couple months in advance. The first time I was there we got lucky and found an unreserved spot, but the second time, we ended up camping out down in Baker and had to get up really early and drive to the trailheads on summit days.

Whenever you go you will enjoy it. It's a beautiful area.

Kai
"I want to keep the mountains clean of racism, religion and politics. In the mountains this should play no role."

- Joe Stettner

"I haven't climbed Everest, skied to the poles, or sailed single-handed around the world. The goals I set out to accomplish aren't easily measured or quantified by world records or "firsts." The reasons I climb, and the climbs I do, are about more than distance or altitude, they are about breaking barriers within myself."

- Andy Kirkpatrick
Fisching
14ers: 58  10 
13ers: 144 1
Trip Reports (13)

Post by Fisching »

Underrated National Park; let's hope it says that way because it's secluded nature is one of its highlights. As for the road being open, in the summer of 2012 the road was open all the way in July.
Peter Aitchison on the risks of rock climbing and mountaineering: "That's life, isn't it? We think the challenge and satisfaction you get from doing this is worth the risks."
"Respect the mountain. Train hard. Hope you can sneak up when it isn't looking."
"The mind is always worried about consequences, but the heart knows no fear. The heart just does what it wants."
PatsSox09
14ers: 13 
Trip Reports (2)

Post by PatsSox09 »

I'm biased because I did both in the fall so I'd say that'd be the ideal season. But if Spring or Summer are your options I'd say summer. Like others have said they don't open the road up Wheeler until early summer or so. The standard Sawtooth Canyon route for Notch is actually shaded for a good portion of it, so if you start early during the early summer (sunrise start) it shouldn't be too bad.
hornpeak
Trip Reports (0)

Post by hornpeak »

I too have been thinking of a trip to Great Basin Park. If you end up going in fall I would be interested in joining you?
bohlsen
14ers: 26 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (1)

Post by bohlsen »

Thanks for the replies. I was also considering doing the trip in the fall; the main reason that I was considering the spring or early summer was that I live in Salt Lake and I was thinking this trip might start to melt out while I'm still waiting on the Wasatch and Uintas. Sounds like Wheeler holds snow for a similar length of time though.

Thanks for the camping advice kaiman, that's good to know about the reservations. Another question, are there water sources along either the Wheeler Peak or Notch Peak routes?
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Another question, are there water sources along either the Wheeler Peak or Notch Peak routes?
Except for the first mile of the Wheeler Peak trail, there won't be any water except for possible snow. Notch Peak has no water after the snow melts.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

We went in mid May a few years back and it was a perfect time, with some lingering snow and mild temps.