Mt. Baker North Ridge

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Re: Mt. Baker North Ridge

Post by d_baker »

Cool video and sound effects.
Although I'm not a fan of POV footage from a fish-eye Go Pro. Makes the terrain look way steeper and more exposed than it really is. Not to say this climb was not, or is not steep and exposed. (I've don't know first hand and know nothing of the route.)
Matt Lemke
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 116 11
Trip Reports (13)

Post by Matt Lemke »

North Ridge of Baker is a classic moderate mountaineering route on Baker. I've been wanting to do it for years but the road to Heliotrope Ridge always seems to have issues.
Lemke Climbs
The Pacific Coast to the Great Plains = My Playground
"Take risks not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping"
"When you come to face what you fear, let the creator guide you"
lazy climber
14ers: 19 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by lazy climber »

That is a great video, the fish eye does make it look steep, which it is. It looks like ( hard to tell as they do not have enough scenic view) they went up the the "short" end of the ice wall, puts you onto the upper ridge faster.

If you were to hit the ice wall about in the middle of the wall it is a full pitch ( maybe a bit more) of of near vert glacier ice ( can have a lot of features so not too bad climbing) to reach the upper ridge. The guy doing the video was correct in that there can be some big cracks up there tha cause you worries at times.

The North Side of baker is one of my favorite climbs.
B-Dog
14ers: 44  8 
13ers: 18 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by B-Dog »

Awesome video!
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)