Guadalupe Peak

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
grassmansc
14ers: 3 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Guadalupe Peak

Post by grassmansc »

My brother and I climbed Guadalupe Pk two years ago at night. It's a very eerie place as at one time we saw the headlamp of another climber coming up behind us who never showed up. Once on top and still dark if you stare at the few lights in the pass they will start moving around :( The best part was he and i were the only ones at the top of Texas that morning and the sunrise was fantastic.
painless4u2
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (8)

Post by painless4u2 »

grassmansc wrote:My brother and I climbed Guadalupe Pk two years ago at night. It's a very eerie place as at one time we saw the headlamp of another climber coming up behind us who never showed up. Once on top and still dark if you stare at the few lights in the pass they will start moving around :( The best part was he and i were the only ones at the top of Texas that morning and the sunrise was fantastic.
Hmm. "grassman" I see... Don't bogart that joint, my friend.
Bad decisions often make good stories.

IPAs + Ambien = "14ers" post (Bill M.)

In their hearts humans plan their course, but the Lord establishes their steps. Proverbs 16:9
x_3mta3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by x_3mta3 »

Greetings everyone! Long time lurker, first time poster. We did Guadalupe about five weeks ago by moon and headlamp light. Not sure how the weather has been since, but the trail had a good, slick hardpack of snow/ice off and on for the top two miles or so. We managed in plain old trail running shoes, but some micro spikes probably would have taken a little bit of the pucker factor out of it. We definitely spent longer on the trail than we thought we would because of it. The wind was kicking up to about 60-ish mph up top and in a few spots as you came around a bend in the trail, but we never really felt threatened by it. Hope your trip turns out as good as ours did!
jsdratm
14ers: 24  2 
13ers: 40
Trip Reports (4)

Post by jsdratm »

On this subject, I have a trip planned down there in early May if anyone is interested. So far I have 3 people signed up including me and we are staying in Carlsbad. Planning to do Guadalupe one day, Hunter Peak another day, and Carlsbad Caverns the third day. Hopefully the wind won't be bad that weekend. :)

http://cmc.org/Calendar/EventDetails.aspx?ID=25406
caverdude
14ers: 37  2 
13ers: 16 2
Trip Reports (2)

Post by caverdude »

As someone who has spent a lot of time caving in Carlsbad NM, I just wanted to remind all the surface climbers that Carlsbad Caverns NP offers some really cool ranger guided off-trail caving trips. For people that may have claustrophobic tendencies, the Lower Cave tour doesn't have any tight spots (nothing tighter than being in an elevator) and allows you to see the rooms below the Big Room. Some of the trail takes you past really nice nests of cave pearls. For people who want more adventure and are not 6ft 5in & 240lbs, the Hall of the White Giant tour allows you to crawl and see a very nice formation (the White Giant). The Spider Cave tour is the most caving like tour they offer. It has lots of tight and crawly sections and it's a separate cave from Carlsbad Caverns.

Here is a link of the ranger guided tours offered: http://www.nps.gov/cave/planyourvisit/tour_schedule.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here is a shot from a professional cave photographer friend (Peter Jones) of a spectacular area in a Guads cave:
Pool Pano Image_reduced.jpg
Pool Pano Image_reduced.jpg (78.19 KiB) Viewed 1573 times