Arizona Peaks or Hikes?

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
EatinHardtack
14ers: 42  20  3 
13ers: 79 32 2
Trip Reports (8)

Arizona Peaks or Hikes?

Post by EatinHardtack »

My girlfriend and I are headed down to Arizona, Phoenix specifically, in two weeks for some warm weather and Baseball. We have a day to get out and do a hike and need some suggestions. I know about Camelback and other popular peaks around the metro area but I think we want something more secluded and with more scenery. We will have a rental car but not a 4wd. Also we will be looking to do something in a class 1 or 2 range, no climbing for my girlfriend. We are also not looking to drive too terribly far but within an hour to hour and half drive. 5-7 miles round trip for something would be good. And it doesn't have to be a peak, a good hike with scenery is just fine with us.

Thanks!
"In our youths our hearts were touched with fire" - Oliver Wendell Holmes
globreal
14ers: 58  1  26 
13ers: 198 2 6
Trip Reports (61)

Re: Arizona Peaks or Hikes?

Post by globreal »

EatinHardtack wrote:My girlfriend and I are headed down to Arizona, Phoenix specifically, in two weeks for some warm weather and Baseball. We have a day to get out and do a hike and need some suggestions. I know about Camelback and other popular peaks around the metro area but I think we want something more secluded and with more scenery. We will have a rental car but not a 4wd. Also we will be looking to do something in a class 1 or 2 range, no climbing for my girlfriend. We are also not looking to drive too terribly far but within an hour to hour and half drive. 5-7 miles round trip for something would be good. And it doesn't have to be a peak, a good hike with scenery is just fine with us.

Thanks!
Zach,

I would suggest hiking Tom's Thumb Trail up to the peak in the McDowell Mountain Regional Park northeast of Scottsdale. I would recommend the north side. When climbing from this side you are out of the city completely in the Sonoran desert. It's really beautiful in the desert and the desert smells this time of year are amazing. And if you are a rock climber and have pro, you can summit the rock pinnacle. The west face is the easiest and it's not to difficult…I think 5.6 or 5.7. And then you can rap off the north face which is a lot of fun. But even without the technical climb to the actual summit, it's still worth it!

http://www.everytrail.com/guide/toms-thumb-north-side

https://foursquare.com/v/toms-thumb-pea ... 20cbac2be3

http://arizonahiking.org/component/cont ... toms-thumb
painless4u2
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (8)

Post by painless4u2 »

If you could stretch your drive just a bit more, you might consider some of the hikes around Sedona, such as Bear Mountain. Also, Humphreys Peak is great, the tallest in Arizona, with huge views all the way to the Grand Canyon. It's mostly a walk-up.
Bad decisions often make good stories.

IPAs + Ambien = "14ers" post (Bill M.)

In their hearts humans plan their course, but the Lord establishes their steps. Proverbs 16:9
climbnowworklater
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (7)

Post by climbnowworklater »

I would visit the Superstition Mountains. About 1 hour east of Phoenix but this is seclusion and awesomeness. If this interests you, let me know. I have a ton of ideas based on what your time and skill level would be.
"The best climber in the world, is the one having the most fun!" Alex Lowe

"In the mountains there is a strange market where you can barter the vortex of life for boundless bliss." Milarepa
anasarca76
14ers: 57 
13ers: 33
Trip Reports (5)

Post by anasarca76 »

Quartz Peak is awesome! Its about an hour and a half to the trail-head from Phoenix and is probably the most secluded hike Ive been on in Arizona. The views are fantastic and it really lets you see a side of Phoenix that many don't know exists. I highly recommend it, and right now is a perfect time as its not too hot!

Here is a link to what little information is out there on this peak - http://hikearizona.com/decoder.php?ZTN=95" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You will need 4 wheel drive and/or a high clearance vehicle as the road out there deals with some decent sand and rough terrain. If your interested, PM me and I can give you more insight and send a few pictures or whatever! Have fun whatever you decide to do!

Randy
jblyth
14ers: 58  5  15 
13ers: 145 8 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jblyth »

Some really good recommendations have been given. I did Tom's Thumb from the gateway trailhead a few weeks back, really cool hike. The boulders up top were fun to play around on. This might be my favorite hike that's close to town.

We also did Picacho Peak one day, which was a fun little scramble, but has cables so your girlfriend would probably be fine. It's about an hour south of the city if you're staying in the south valley. http://azstateparks.com/Parks/PIPE/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

South Mountain has some mellow scenic trails - a nice 7 mile or so loop starting from the main trail is Holbert - National - Kiwanis.

Sedona and the Superstition Mountains are incredible, but a bit more of a drive and you'd probably want to spend the whole day there.
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B »

jblyth wrote: We also did Picacho Peak one day, which was a fun little scramble, but has cables so your girlfriend would probably be fine. It's about an hour south of the city if you're staying in the south valley. http://azstateparks.com/Parks/PIPE/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
+1 to Picacho. It will be completely worth the drive. The peak looks improbable the majority of the time you are on the trail but cut steps and cables at steep sections make it completely doable.
Make wilderness less accessible.
TravelingMatt
14ers: 56 
13ers: 435
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TravelingMatt »

See also:

http://14ers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=39238" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You never know what is enough until you know what is more than enough. -- William Blake
dhgold
Trip Reports (10)

Post by dhgold »

Picketpost (http://www.arizonahiking.org/component/ ... t-mountain" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) is another great option. It's not quite as unique as Picacho but it's less of a drive from Phoenix.
Tortoise1
14ers: 15 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Tortoise1 »

Toms Thumb from Toms Thumb TH would be good. It's like a scene from an old western movie right on the edge of town. Toms Thumb from the Gateway TH to the south and west would exceed your distance criteria by several miles. Quartz Peak would be tough in a rental sedan. No climbing for GF would rule out Picacho - cables or not it's climbing. Weavers Needle from Peralto TH is nice and would meet the criteria. Weavers Needle itself is rock climbing but you can get a good view of it from the saddle or scramble to the base. Geronimo's Cave is off that TH as well. In that general area but a bit longer is Flat Iron in Lost Dutchman State Park ($7/car). It has one 8 to 10 foot ledge near the end but with some good footholds. Fat and/or old people do it routinely.
Last edited by Tortoise1 on Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JsinDeAZ
14ers: 37  1 
Trip Reports (4)

Post by JsinDeAZ »

Superstition Peak by going up Siphon Draw to Flatiron. It's a long hike (about 9 miles one way). Trailhead is at Lost Dutchman State Park. Or go to First Water trailhead and hike out to top of Blacktop Mesa.
-----------------------------
I only went out for a walk and finally concluded to stay out till sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in. - John Muir

...I love not man the less, but Nature more... - Lord Byron
InclineGuy
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 103
Trip Reports (0)

Post by InclineGuy »

Superstition Peak via Siphon Draw is an excellent hike but with class 3 sections on Siphon Draw I’d go a little further to the Peralta TH and hike to Weavers Needle, which is all class 1, with the added bonus of the Lost Dutchman’s Gold lying somewhere nearby. Also, I’m just saying to hike to it and back, trying to climb Weaver’s Needle...well, that would be crazy!