Grand Canyon...Tanner Trail or Something Else?

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
JTOlson26
14ers: 20 
Trip Reports (1)

Grand Canyon...Tanner Trail or Something Else?

Post by JTOlson26 »

Before I start, we are doing this trip in early July. It is just the beginning of a three week road trip which involves a lot of hiking and camping in the wester US...yes, the Grand Canyon in early July -- I know, I know; I would much rather not be hiking in the canyon that time of the year but he is letting me plan the rest of the trip other than insisting on this part so I am kind of stuck with it.

So, I have been reading about the Tanner Trail, down to Tanner Rapid. We would probably go down one day, take a day to keep camp at/near Tanner beach and explore, and then hike out on the next day. It seems to be a pretty cool, remote, route but I figured I would get some expert opinions on this route, or others you would suggest. I know I need to get a backcountry permit request in ASAP. I hope it's not too late already. So, if you know of another place which is less popular and still a great trip, by all means suggest!

JT
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Re: Grand Canyon...Tanner Trail or Something Else?

Post by Scott P »

The Tanner Trail is probably the worst trail in the Grand Canyon to do in the summer. It is shadeless and dry. One with water would be much better. Can you go to the North Rim? The North Kaibab Trail would be much better in summer.

If you can talk your friend into it, I'd really suggest visting the rim of the Grand Canyon, but doing your longer hike around Sedona which isn't that far away. It can be hot there, but not as hot and the water is wonderful, even in the summer.

I'd highly recommend West Fork Oak Creek, Wet Beaver Creek, and West Fork Clear Creek.

That area is right by the Grand Canyon (you could still do the rim hikes), just as scenic, has great canyon scenery, and way better in summer. You would probably enjoy it a thousand times more in summer. :wink:

If you do go to the Grand Canyon, do something other than the Tanner Trail. Something like the North Kaibab would be better. The Bright Angel too, but it's crowded. At least it has water though.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

If you don't mind getting away from the GC for a day or two, take a trip up to Flagstaff and climb Humphreys Peak
usfgal
14ers: 58 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (0)

Post by usfgal »

I backpacked a loop, which I believe was the Grandview Trail-Hance Creek-Tonto. If you are interested, PM me and I can pull out my pictures and TR and get you details. I had my 3-year old with me, so I didn't take any of the adventurous side trips, but I remember reading about at least one that sounded like it would be pretty cool. I was there in early June, and I did not have issues finding water. I saw a handful of people in the 3 or 4 days I was out there. The inner canyon was hot, but I don't mind the heat. I did the rim to rim trip in August of a different year. :)
boudreaux
14ers: 57 
13ers: 113
Trip Reports (11)

Post by boudreaux »

If you are thinking of a one night stay at Cottonwood CG from the North rim in July it might be too late to get a permit. The lottery started on March 1st for July and they have been going fast this year. I struck out for June, but going in July! But a day trip down the N Kaibab trail is great option and worth doing! You could go down to the Ranger's Residence, picnic in the shade of the Cottonwoods and then go back up!
Ragin Cajun
desertdog
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 273 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by desertdog »

I did the New Hance Trail to Grand View last month and it was great. You could camp right on a beach at the river after completing the New Hance. I think it would be awfully hot in the summer though. Richard
The summit is a source of power. The long view gives one knowledge and time to prepare. The summit, by virtue of the dizzying exposure, leaves one vulnerable. A bit of confidence and a dash of humility is all we get for our work. Yet to share these moments with friends is to be human. C. Anker
GregMiller
14ers: 37  4  1 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (5)

Post by GregMiller »

I did New Hance to Grandview (I think) back in April or May of '09, and greatly enjoyed it, we did one day down, camped by the water, and two days up. Wasn't too hot then, but something to keep in mind is that certain areas of the trail might get extra hot due to solar heating of the rock, I know there was one section on the climb out that we didn't want to do too late in the day or it turned into a solar oven. So, keep that in mind. If nothing else, give they backcountry office at the park a call, they should have some good tips.
Still Here
been scared and battered. My hopes the wind done scattered. Snow has friz me, Sun has baked me,
Looks like between 'em they done Tried to make me
Stop laughin', stop lovin', stop livin'-- But I don't care! I'm still here!
Langston Hughes
JTOlson26
14ers: 20 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by JTOlson26 »

Thanks for all the tips and suggestions, everyone.

Scott, I think you suggest a wise choice in not doing the Tanner trail...my excitement and ambition was getting the best of me there.

Sedona looks awesome. That is on my bucket list.

I think I will look into the Hance Creek, et al, trail/hikes a little more. Sound like a lot of people enjoy that.

Any other suggestions are welcome.

Thanks again!

JT