Denali Recommendations?

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
cheeseburglar
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 79 2 1
Trip Reports (8)

Re: Denali Recommendations?

Post by cheeseburglar »

speth wrote:They talk about something similar to this setup in Art Davidson's Minus 148.
[/img]
That setup is a bit more substantial than what we saw up there for solo travel. We saw a guy with two long bamboo poles.
The marmot said “Nobody is perfect and you are not nobody.”

Random FoTH Quotes
dereks95
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 135 1
Trip Reports (2)

Post by dereks95 »

If you do decide to go unguided, I highly recommend hiring a logistics service. They can preplan meals, purchase supplies and drive you to and from Talkeetna. It'll take a lot longer than you think to get all this taken care of on your own - plan on 2 full days in Anchorage. You want to be spending that time on the ice.

Here's the one I used, but there are others. http://www.exposurealaska.com/denali.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
falcon568
14ers: 58  10 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (3)

Post by falcon568 »

I did Denali last year with Alpine Ascents, highly recommend them as a guide service. Definitely more $$$ than unguided, but the logistics are all taken care of and you have a higher margin of safety with the inclusion of the guides. Unguided trips are more rewarding if you and your group have experience above and beyond what's required for the climb. Going solo or showing up hoping to jump on a rope team is asking for trouble. I'm not even sure what kind of rope team would accept some rando with an unknown experience level
"Of course, inside each one of us is the ambition to reach the summit, to realize that you are stronger than obstacles, that it is within your power to do something uncommon and indeed impossible for most people. But one must be prepared to face those obstacles..."-Ed Viesturs

"When I was a child, I felt there was something I had to find before I died. I imagined it as some lost, golden country, glittering on the other side of the mist across our neighbor's fields, hidden within the shadows behind our stone wall—some place beyond the fixed patterns of society, the grey chronology that led inexorably to death. In my twenties, on my first free solo, the light seemed to shatter through me, and the sky pour down the rock. Like so many climbers, immersed in that sudden, radiant awareness of now, I've had that brief and total conviction that each moment is both fleeting and eternal"-Katie Ives
AndyJB444
14ers: 16  1 
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (0)

Post by AndyJB444 »

While I wouldn't necessarily recommend it, I did solo Denali and didn't have too much trouble finding a rope team to jump on to going from 11k back down to base camp... there are lots of friendly people on the west butt., and alot of people sick of their partners who want to chat with someone new :P
sdkeil
14ers: 58  32 
13ers: 367 8
Trip Reports (3)

Post by sdkeil »

I was part of the OMG team that summitted last year on Denali (described in the USAKeller TR). We chose unguided for both the money and the fact we wanted to try to do it on our own. We finalized our team about 8 months ahead of the climb. We targeted a team of about 5-8 and ended up with a team of 7. The West Buttress route is fairly straight forward, so I think if your group has good solid knowledge of safe glacier travel a guide doesn't get you a whole lot. I think what you pay for in a guide is all the logistics. Our team of 7 had regular teleconferences (not everyone was from Colorado) over those 8 months leading to discuss all the logistics. Things we discussed were the itinerary, sled set ups, best time of year to go, gear, food (what and how much), shuttles, air taxi, permit, sat phone, personalized weather forecasts, etc...the list was quite extensive. It was a lot of work, but at the end of the day it was worth it because we knew we planned it all ourselves, plus a lot of lessons were learned along the way.

Some people just aren't into the strategy part and would rather someone plan that for them. I think if the summit is all your interested in and you dont mind paying the extra money, then there is nothing wrong with a guide. Most of the guided groups looked like they had happy clients. We saw a few RMI and Alpine Ascent groups up there. I am sure the other guiding groups were up there, but we didnt interact too often with them.

I would definitely not go solo thinking you are going to jump onto someone's rope team. There is a lot of trust in your climbing team and I sure wouldn't let some random stranger jump on our rope with out knowing more about them. I would assume many other teams would feel the same.
Ass: (noun)
a long-eared, slow, patient, sure-footed domesticated mammal, Equus asinus, related to the horse, used chiefly as a beast of burden.
thespoonybard
14ers: 39 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by thespoonybard »

dereks95 wrote:If you do decide to go unguided, I highly recommend hiring a logistics service.
This is a great idea! I had given this some thought as well.
"The mountains are calling...and I must go" - John Muir
"all your base are belong to us"
dereferenced
14ers: 25  1  15 
13ers: 19 1
Trip Reports (3)

Post by dereferenced »

falcon568 wrote: I'm not even sure what kind of rope team would accept some rando with an unknown experience level
One other anecdote: last year we did an unguided west buttress trip, three members of our team tried to do a fast trip, we didn’t get a good weather window, so we headed down. The 4th member of our team stayed for another week by himself to summit. He found a couple camping at 14k where the wife was sick and didn’t want to go for the summit, the husband needed a partner, so they teamed up. That guy had climbed two 8000m peaks, a bunch of peaks in Peru, Mt. Cook, etc. On the way down from 14k to the airstrip, my friend travelled with Ralf Dujmovitz and Gerlinde Kaltenbrunner, who were descending after an attempt on Cassin.

So… your comment made me laugh, it was like: “warning, if you try to join a team on the mountain, you might end up stuck with world class mountaineers”. I’m sure that doesn’t happen every time, your results would be random, but probably not that bad. I don't encourage going to the mountain alone, but people have pulled it off.
dereferenced
14ers: 25  1  15 
13ers: 19 1
Trip Reports (3)

Post by dereferenced »

dereks95 wrote:If you do decide to go unguided, I highly recommend hiring a logistics service. They can preplan meals, purchase supplies and drive you to and from Talkeetna. It'll take a lot longer than you think to get all this taken care of on your own - plan on 2 full days in Anchorage. You want to be spending that time on the ice.
What would you spend a full 2 days doing?

Last year, we flew to Anchorage on a Friday night, had a van pick us up on Saturday morning, they took us to a grocery store to buy some fresh food, then took us to Talkeetna, we were on the glacier by Saturday evening. Any non-perishable food we bought before the trip and packed in our luggage (We might have paid $50 extra in baggage fees because of that)
shearmodulus
14ers: 18  1  1 
Trip Reports (6)

Post by shearmodulus »

Yeah, 2 days on the front end in Anchorage is a bit excessive. If you do wind up staying there for a day, make sure you hit Alaska Mountain House. I am still kicking myself for not pulling the trigger on a pair of Olympus Mons they had on sale for $650, but I already had my Spantiks so I didn't buy more boots.

You can get a van shuttle that will drive you Talkeetna, and they'll usually have a stop programmed in for Palmer-Wasilla, and you can pick up groceries there. It takes about 3-4 hours to get to Talkeetna by ground. If you time your arrival right, you can spend less than two hours in Anchorage, and just get picked up right from the airport by the shuttle.

I would recommend Talkeetna Air Taxi for flying in and out of the park. They're one of the more reliable companies from what I understand, and they use retrofitted DHC-8 Otter's, so they can take off on much shorter surfaces and fly in worse weather.

I'm pretty sure that stove fuel is distributed by the Base Camp manager once you get to the lower Kahiltna because the flight services don't let the fuel cans on board the planes.

You'll have to check in at the Talkeetna office where the Denali National Park HQ is located, get your briefing from the rangers, and pick up your Clean Mountain Can(s). There are a few lodging options in Talkeetna, but book early as they fill up fast during the climbing season. We stayed at the Fireweed station, which is about 10 miles outside of Talkeetna, but a really nice place and cool owners.
"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads...."
skik2000
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 12 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by skik2000 »

TAT will likely run a discount towards the end of this year @ $100/off per climber. You only put up a deposit which is fully refundable if you decide to cancel for whatever reason.
osguthoj
Trip Reports (0)

Post by osguthoj »

PM sent
hunterwf
14ers: 37 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (0)

Post by hunterwf »

I just wanted to bump this thread back to the top incase there is any interest in Denali. The 2015 season is about a year away and this would be the time to organize and would give everyone a year to train.
There are other Annapurnas in the lives of men.

- Maurice Herzog