Red River Gorge and Horshoe Canyon Climbing

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
apasquel
14ers: 43 
Trip Reports (31)

Red River Gorge and Horshoe Canyon Climbing

Post by apasquel »

Hey 14ers...just got back from a sweet climbing adventure. Spent Spring Break climbing at the Red (Kentucky) and Horshoe Canyon (Arkansas). We sent some sweet sandstone...climbed hard! However, I possibly tore my meniscus on an overhanging steep route at HCR...turned a Heel hook to a drop knee and it popped in three places...got MRI today and I find out tomorrow...major suckage man! anyways...here's the trip for those interested in rock in the South!
http://seekingtheburningbush.blogspot.c ... pring.html
JTOlson26
14ers: 20 
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Red River Gorge and Horshoe Canyon Climbing

Post by JTOlson26 »

The Red is about 2 hours from my original home (where my parents still live) and it always makes for a nice trip! So much has been developed there in the last decade. There are around 2000 sport, trad and mixed climbs throughout the gorge and you can usually find a place to get away from the crowds. I bet you guys had a great time!

Cheers.

JT
apasquel
14ers: 43 
Trip Reports (31)

Post by apasquel »

Oh man, we had a great time. It was my first time at the red and it won't be my last. What area was your favorite?
Broken Knee
13ers: 28
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Broken Knee »

Red River Gorge is a funky place. The sport routes are diverse, the trad routes can be a royal beotch - or excellent - and the locals can be scarier than the trad routes!

Is Miguel still tossin' the dough?
When life gets you down, climb!
coloradokevin
14ers: 15 
Trip Reports (5)

Post by coloradokevin »

I climbed at "The Red" almost every weekend for two years of college. Miguel's Pizza will always have a special place in my heart, and so will that region :)