Wheeler Peak (NM)

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
LetsGoMets
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 132 6
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Wheeler Peak (NM)

Post by LetsGoMets »

Climbed it on 6/8 via Williams Lake/Wheeler Peak Summit trail. Aside from gators no extra snow equipment needed. We brought an ice axe and found a couple glissade spots for the way down. Beautiful peak.
I Man
14ers: 58  49 
13ers: 74 7
Trip Reports (30)

Post by I Man »

Anyone have current conditions? Looking to hit the Williams Lake route on Wednesday.
You can touch the void, just don't fall into it.

I fly a starship across the universe divide....and when I reach the other side...I'll find a place to rest my spirit if I can. Perhaps I may become a Mountain Man again.
Brian Thomas
14ers: 58  9 
13ers: 130
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Brian Thomas »

Conditions bump.

Any recent info on Wheeler, Spanish Peaks, southern Sangres greatly appreciated!
"I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them" - Bob Dylan
bergsteigen
14ers: 58  52  18 
13ers: 538 100 12
Trip Reports (237)

Post by bergsteigen »

4-6" fell in the Crestones-Blanca group zone on Wednesday night. (Not sure of elsewhere) While it melted down below, it's still winter snowpack up high. Spanish Peaks looked white when I saw them from near Blanca.
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games." - Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)
Your knees only get so many bumps in life, don't waste them on moguls!
“No athlete is truly tested until they’ve stared an injury in the face and come out on the other side stronger than ever” -anonymous

http://otinasadventures.com @otina
dr_j
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 13
Trip Reports (4)

Post by dr_j »

NM Southern Sangres- hiked Ski Santa Fe over the weekend, it's barely skiable and not that good. The slopes still have snow on them, otherwise expect plenty of mud. Santa Fe Baldy looked pretty clear of snow from my vantage point.
IG: jc_solitude
12ersRule
14ers: 58 
13ers: 157
Trip Reports (4)

Post by 12ersRule »

Brian Thomas wrote:Conditions bump.

Any recent info on Wheeler, Spanish Peaks, southern Sangres greatly appreciated!
Culebra looks super poachable right now.

BTW, what happened to I'm never ever bagging a peak in another state other than Colorado?
semitrueskerm
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (4)

Post by semitrueskerm »

FYI: I don't have conditions status of NM Sangres, but I have heard the snow pack is low. However, be a bit careful if you are going up the standard route to Wheeler summit (which is accessed from the Bavarian restaurant area heading up by Chair 4 and towards Lake Williams. There are a few avy paths, though not large, can be sketchy. I always recommend the Bull of the Woods route up to Wheeler Peak anyway. While double the climbing time, the views are double the enjoyment IMO. Have fun. Taos Valley is spectacular!
Chicago Transplant
14ers: 58  12  24 
13ers: 697 39 34
Trip Reports (66)

Post by Chicago Transplant »

I was in Taos last week for work, I think you can see the summit on the far right of the ridge on the left, as well as Mt Walter. This is the ridge that eventually leads to the summit via the Bull of the Woods route. This was last Wed (5/18) from the ski lot near the trailhead for the Bull of the Woods route.
Wheeler.jpg
Wheeler.jpg (117.06 KiB) Viewed 3248 times
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day
YerpsoGdawg
14ers: 53 
13ers: 23
Trip Reports (0)

Post by YerpsoGdawg »

Hiked and skied it a couple weekends ago, May 7. Good coverage and maturing snowpack then. Trail to treeline was well tracked by snowshoes, boots and skis. Several options from there - easiest is to head to saddle between Wheeler and Mount Walter.
Matt
14ers: 58 
13ers: 208
Trip Reports (32)

Post by Matt »

We are all greater artists than we realize -FWN
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -HDT
Peak List
desertdog
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 273 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by desertdog »

I climbed it today 5/23 via Williams Lake. We got an early start and the snow was in pretty good shape. The summer trail is covered, so we just went strait up the basin to the ridge. We used snowshoes on the way down after the basin, once it warmed up. The trail to Williams Lake before the turn off to Wheeler is post hole central. There were a few people skiing the basin. It's melting fast.
The summit is a source of power. The long view gives one knowledge and time to prepare. The summit, by virtue of the dizzying exposure, leaves one vulnerable. A bit of confidence and a dash of humility is all we get for our work. Yet to share these moments with friends is to be human. C. Anker
gneissone
Trip Reports (0)

Post by gneissone »

Beautiful day today. Went up Bull of The Woods and down Williams Lake to make a loop. No snow yet.
I wasn't sure about camping at the Twining Campground at the Bull of The Woods trailhead since every reference seems to mention it closing at the end of September, including the Forest Service site. But there's no gates or anything at Twining or the Cuchillo campgrounds. No signs mentioning a closure either. Maybe the outhouse was locked. Anyway, there were just two tents including my own at Twining on a Saturday night.