Wheeler Peak (NM)

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
sigepnader
14ers: 22 
13ers: 52 1
Trip Reports (0)

Wheeler Peak (NM)

Post by sigepnader »

Has anyone been down that way recently? Any word on conditions? I have searched and searched but haven't found much.

Or,

Anyone ever trekked this peak? Thoughts on it/Taos? I have never been down there but figured why not give it a shot.

Thanks in advance!
jbchalk
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (54)

Re: Wheeler Peak (NM)

Post by jbchalk »

Heading down there tonight to ski it tomorrow. Can report conditions when I return. Looks snowy enough through live Taos ski area webcams.
Rocky_Mtn_Bryon
14ers: 58  21 
13ers: 47
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Rocky_Mtn_Bryon »

I've climbed it about five times, usually from the Bull of the Woods side (about 15 miles RT, 3000 ft gain). The Lake Williams side is much shorter (like 7 miles RT), but much steeper and may have avy danger. If I had to guess, I'd think their avy situation has settled by now since it's a bit warmer there relative to CO, but that's just speculation.

I climbed it in early June 2010. There wasn't much snow left then, but there were a few sections with snow deep enough that we had to 'run' across to avoid deep postholing (we didn't have snowshoes).

Are you planning a regular hike/climb, or a ski climb/descent? For a regular hike/climb, the Bull of the Woods side would provide a fun and beautiful outing. You probably need snowshoes, but most of the hike is gentle class I terrain. The ridge might have some easy class II. You would probably find it a nice warmup for the summer 14er season. You could glissade down the Williams side probably.

Not sure if you can get a hold of the waypoints for this route. The Lake Williams side is much less enjoyable, IMO. It goes up right against the ski area and tends to be heavily trafficked.

PM me if you need any more information about the routes.
desertdog
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 273 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by desertdog »

I've climbed it a bunch including this winter several times via Williams Lake. Can't give you current conditions, but they did get some snow this past week. Its going to be warm this weekend and into the week. Looks like you have someone that can give you current conditions after the weekend.

I would look at BOW route as others have said. Its much nicer and a bigger day. You will need snowshoes for sure on that route.

Also Taos is a great town to visit, enjoy! PM with any questions.
The summit is a source of power. The long view gives one knowledge and time to prepare. The summit, by virtue of the dizzying exposure, leaves one vulnerable. A bit of confidence and a dash of humility is all we get for our work. Yet to share these moments with friends is to be human. C. Anker
abqben56
Trip Reports (0)

Post by abqben56 »

Still looks to be substantial snow. Check the webcams at skitaos.org.

In general, Bull of the Woods is by far the better way to go except when you need to bail out because of weather. You're up (relatively) high for a lot longer. The new trail from Williams Lake was necessary but it's a lot less interesting and a lot more crowded. On BotW, La Cal basin will have snow into June.

Hit Orlando's on the north end of Taos after you're done.
Gabriel
14ers: 36 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Gabriel »

I hiked up to bull of the woods pasture last week. Snow all the way, but well packed. I hiked in light hiking boots without issue. There are usually large drifts just before the wilderness boundary and then fairly clear above tree line.

Have fun

G
sigepnader
14ers: 22 
13ers: 52 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by sigepnader »

Thanks, everyone! I am planning a hike/climb.

Jbchalk, thanks! Looking forward to your reply! I am going to bring the snowshoes and hillsounds just in case. :)
jbchalk
Trip Reports (54)

Post by jbchalk »

Williams Lake trail is snowpacked but very passable without flotation. We were on skins/skis. Turn off to the west to Wheeler Peak (at tree stump sign) from Williams Lake trail after 2 miles (before lake) and snow is a bit deeper to treeline, though there are many tracks (boot tracks and ski/skin tracks). Likely can get by without flotation the entire way. We entered a nice cute to get above treeline and stayed on snow until just shy of 13,000' (100' below the Wheeler/Walter saddle)where we left the skis. Once on the summit ridge, you can stay on snow or on the dry tundra. Dogs and I traversed over to Mt. Walter (while Kristine descended to skis to have a PB&J) and then onto Point 13,045' north of Mt. Walter to look down into La Cal Basin, which was pretty dry and not as much snow as I expected. Turns down were awesome spring corn. Beauty of a day. Hope this helps.
Chute to get above treeline on Wheeler's west face
Chute to get above treeline on Wheeler's west face
IMG_1029.JPG (184.33 KiB) Viewed 5913 times
Wheeler summit ridge
Wheeler summit ridge
IMG_1069.JPG (191.02 KiB) Viewed 5913 times
Wheeler west face and Taos ski area from Wheeler summit
Wheeler west face and Taos ski area from Wheeler summit
IMG_1083.JPG (188.4 KiB) Viewed 5913 times
jbchalk
Trip Reports (54)

Post by jbchalk »

Just a few more pics:
Looking down into La Cal Basin from Point 13,045'
Looking down into La Cal Basin from Point 13,045'
IMG_1089.JPG (257.66 KiB) Viewed 5910 times
Looking back at Mt. Walter & Wheeler Peak (far right) from Point 13,045'
Looking back at Mt. Walter & Wheeler Peak (far right) from Point 13,045'
IMG_1092.JPG (262.14 KiB) Viewed 5910 times
skiwall
14ers: 2 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (1)

Post by skiwall »

For interested parties- Wheeler pre-storm coverage on 5/11:
10255608_10102241344279987_3509381368734799819_n.jpg
10255608_10102241344279987_3509381368734799819_n.jpg (139.23 KiB) Viewed 5782 times
"A good woman knows her place is in the backcountry." - PW '08
LetsGoMets
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 132 6
Trip Reports (2)

Post by LetsGoMets »

Any updated Beta on this? Debating heading down next weekend. Thanks in advance!
LetsGoMets
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 132 6
Trip Reports (2)

Post by LetsGoMets »

http://skitaos.org/webcams" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You can control the base area webcam to point at Wheeler. It's not fantastic, but at least it's a look at the peak.