Wheeler Peak (NM)

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
steelfrog
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Wheeler Peak (NM)

Post by steelfrog »

Better place to access Chimiyosos is over by Mora, Serpent Lake th
madbuck
Trip Reports (6)

Post by madbuck »

Anybody have updates on conditions, from Williams Lake? I see ~4 inches at the top of Taos Ski Valley earlier this week. (Anybody know how to get static/past webcam images from the ski area)?
Not sure if there was/is more snow piled on up top, or if it is likely to have consolidated/melted after several sunny days. Thanks!
glenmiz
14ers: 58 
13ers: 121 1 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by glenmiz »

madbuck wrote:Anybody have updates on conditions, from Williams Lake? I see ~4 inches at the top of Taos Ski Valley earlier this week. (Anybody know how to get static/past webcam images from the ski area)?
Not sure if there was/is more snow piled on up top, or if it is likely to have consolidated/melted after several sunny days. Thanks!
https://live1.brownrice.com/embed/tsvridge" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Aim high to end high
jdorje
14ers: 12 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (16)

Post by jdorje »

That full moon though.
"I don't think about the past, and the future is a mystery. Only the present matters."
madbuck
Trip Reports (6)

Post by madbuck »

Thanks -- great camera shot! (During the day)

Went up the trail Friday but had to turn around a bit above treeline due to time. Anyway, some packed snow and ice but not deep. Traction was helpful. Reports from others were some drifted snow at the top for the last ~500 feet or so. Calm winds, pretty great for November.
montanahiker
14ers: 38 
13ers: 185
Trip Reports (0)

Post by montanahiker »

Has anyone been on Wheeler lately? I'm planning on Saturday or Sunday weather permitting. Which route do you recommend? I've got all day and would prefer Bull of the Woods but there's a 40% chance of showers/thunderstorms so I may do Williams Lake instead if skies are clear.
There's more to life than 14ers. There are 13ers.
climbnowworklater
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (7)

Post by climbnowworklater »

Just did Wheeler yesterday. Took Bull trail up and Williams down. If you're pressed for time, do Williams. If you have longer and want a leisurely hike, take Bull. PM me to discuss.
"The best climber in the world, is the one having the most fun!" Alex Lowe

"In the mountains there is a strange market where you can barter the vortex of life for boundless bliss." Milarepa
Ptglhs
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 86 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Ptglhs »

Anyone done this one this week? I've looked at the webcams but wanted an opinion from a human. We're trying to climb it tomorrow. The high wind which was originally forecast for earlier in the week is going to be hitting us in full force. yay...
desertdog
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 273 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by desertdog »

I climbed some mountains near Wheeler this week and there was about 5 inches snow max. If you go the Williams Lake route you should be fine. The Bull of the Woods is longer, but more scenic. Snow is more of an issue in places on BOA because it gets trapped in gullies along the way. Once you get to the ridge is the point that the wind will be an issue. At least it will be sunny!
The summit is a source of power. The long view gives one knowledge and time to prepare. The summit, by virtue of the dizzying exposure, leaves one vulnerable. A bit of confidence and a dash of humility is all we get for our work. Yet to share these moments with friends is to be human. C. Anker
rob runkle
13ers: 41
Trip Reports (48)

Post by rob runkle »

Bump. Heading up Nov 26.
Ptglhs
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 86 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Ptglhs »

I did it last Saturday. Went up Bull of the Woods and down WIlliams Lake.

BoW was very scenic and an easy ascent. It's 4k of gain in 7.5 miles. A few of the streams were still flowing and there was patches of snow and ice the whole way, consistently after 11k. If you want to avoid the elevation regain I'd suggest not descending into the La Cal basin and just hug the contour line at the saddle and regain the trail on the East side of the basin.
Suggested route to avoid elevation regain.
Suggested route to avoid elevation regain.
Capture.PNG (482.96 KiB) Viewed 3425 times
There was a very small cornice going up the unranked sub peak north of Walker. I'd advise going over, not around it. The slopes there were steep and the snow was a wind polished slab. There wasn't enough snow yet to pose avy danger. Williams Lake descent reminded me of a CO 14er: 20-25% slopes and a lot of rock on a built trail. It was very icy below Williams lake as a result of so many boots packing down the snow.

Have fun.
rob runkle
13ers: 41
Trip Reports (48)

Post by rob runkle »

Based on the conditions, BoW up and Williams Lake down is starting to sound like a nice option for me in a week. Thanks.

Sounds like:
no snow shoes
no ice axe
traction might be nice, but seems like microspikes will be fine
dress for 40 degrees (with layers available to below freezing)
probably no major issues with frozen water bottles