LaSal Range Conditions

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
kircher
Trip Reports (0)

LaSal Range Conditions

Post by kircher »

I'm thinking of heading up to the LaSals this weekend. Any updates on conditions up high on the peaks, and also snowpack down in the trees would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks/
ChrisinAZ
14ers: 58  14 
13ers: 36
Trip Reports (12)

Re: LaSal Range Conditions

Post by ChrisinAZ »

Check out this page (2nd webcam), particularly in afternoon/evening. Currently seeing only some snow cover, mostly on north faces. I don't know what below-treeline conditions are, but based on when I was there last year, I think most everything would be gone in a few weeks at the most. I'd guess patchy deep snow below treeline now...
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason."
— Jack Handy

Mah peaks
kaiman
Trip Reports (10)

Post by kaiman »

ChrisinAZ wrote:Check out this page (2nd webcam), particularly in afternoon/evening. Currently seeing only some snow cover, mostly on north faces. I don't know what below-treeline conditions are, but based on when I was there last year, I think most everything would be gone in a few weeks at the most. I'd guess patchy deep snow below treeline now...
Chris pretty much nailed it. Still some snow in the trees that requires floatation devices for approaches. Plenty of good sized snow fields up high on north and west facing slopes. You will definitely want spring climbing gear for summits (crampons/microspikes, ice axe, waterproof boots, gaiters etc). The wind has been pretty bad out here over the past month so expect to get blown around quite a bit above treeline. Also, most of the approach roads (Geyser Pass, Miners Basin, La Sal Pass, etc.) are still closed so this will add extra mileage to most of your outings (or you can wait a couple of weeks until things open up).

Have fun!

Kai
"I want to keep the mountains clean of racism, religion and politics. In the mountains this should play no role."

- Joe Stettner

"I haven't climbed Everest, skied to the poles, or sailed single-handed around the world. The goals I set out to accomplish aren't easily measured or quantified by world records or "firsts." The reasons I climb, and the climbs I do, are about more than distance or altitude, they are about breaking barriers within myself."

- Andy Kirkpatrick
kircher
Trip Reports (0)

Post by kircher »

Great. Thanks guys. I'm aiming at trying for a traverse of the range (From S to N). I'm trying (remotely from CO) to find that precious window where there's snow to help with some of the scree fields, but not so much as to require extra driving/snowshoes. I called the rangers earlier and it looks like a few extra miles to LaSal pass.

Sounds like that might be a few weeks out still...
kaiman
Trip Reports (10)

Post by kaiman »

kircher wrote:Great. Thanks guys. I'm aiming at trying for a traverse of the range (From S to N). I'm trying (remotely from CO) to find that precious window where there's snow to help with some of the scree fields, but not so much as to require extra driving/snowshoes. I called the rangers earlier and it looks like a few extra miles to La Sal pass.

Sounds like that might be a few weeks out still...
For sure a few weeks out. Also you will need an extra car or bike parked in/or ride out of Miners Basin/Beaver Basin to complete the traverse unless you are planning a loop? To be honest there's not a lot of scree in the La Sals, plenty of loose talus, but compared to the Elks or San Juans they are pretty clear of scree. BTW it's 7 miles to La Sal Pass from winter road closure.
"I want to keep the mountains clean of racism, religion and politics. In the mountains this should play no role."

- Joe Stettner

"I haven't climbed Everest, skied to the poles, or sailed single-handed around the world. The goals I set out to accomplish aren't easily measured or quantified by world records or "firsts." The reasons I climb, and the climbs I do, are about more than distance or altitude, they are about breaking barriers within myself."

- Andy Kirkpatrick
AlexMack
14ers: 30  2 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (3)

Post by AlexMack »

I'm actually kind of surprised to hear it's still a few weeks out. I was at Dead Horse Point State Park a few days ago and it looked like the snow was basically above treeline, and not much at that. I was thinking of heading there early tomorrow morning (I'm moving to Denver in 2 weeks which is awesome but I need to get Mt Tuk off my bucket list before leaving GJ), looks like I might have a longer day with more gear than anticipated. I just looked through my Dead Horse/IITS pics and none really show the La Sals well unfortunately.
"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment." - Evan Hardin
kaiman
Trip Reports (10)

Post by kaiman »

AlexMack wrote:I'm actually kind of surprised to hear it's still a few weeks out. I was at Dead Horse Point State Park a few days ago and it looked like the snow was basically above treeline, and not much at that. I was thinking of heading there early tomorrow morning (I'm moving to Denver in 2 weeks which is awesome but I need to get Mt Tuk off my bucket list before leaving GJ), looks like I might have a longer day with more gear than anticipated. I just looked through my Dead Horse/IITS pics and none really show the La Sals well unfortunately.
While there is not a ton of snow on the mountains themselves (compared to many places in Colorado) there is still enough snow below tree line to cause drifts on the roads and keep them closed. Most of the higher ones up to La Sal Pass (10,125 feet) and Geyser Pass (9800 feet) don't usually open until Memorial Day and sometimes it takes the FS another week or two to clear deadfall and remove any obstacles in the road. So if your planning on climbing Tuk from the standard route at La Sal Pass you're going to have to wait a bit or plan on adding a few more miles to your trip.

- Joe Stettner

- Andy Kirkpatrick
AlexMack
14ers: 30  2 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (3)

Post by AlexMack »

kaiman wrote:
AlexMack wrote:I'm actually kind of surprised to hear it's still a few weeks out. I was at Dead Horse Point State Park a few days ago and it looked like the snow was basically above treeline, and not much at that. I was thinking of heading there early tomorrow morning (I'm moving to Denver in 2 weeks which is awesome but I need to get Mt Tuk off my bucket list before leaving GJ), looks like I might have a longer day with more gear than anticipated. I just looked through my Dead Horse/IITS pics and none really show the La Sals well unfortunately.
While there is not a ton of snow on the mountains themselves (compared to many places in Colorado) there is still enough snow below tree line to cause drifts on the roads and keep them closed. Most of the higher ones up to La Sal Pass (10,125 feet) and Geyser Pass (9800 feet) don't usually open until Memorial Day and sometimes it takes the FS another week or two to clear deadfall and remove any obstacles in the road. So if your planning on climbing Tuk from the standard route at La Sal Pass you're going to have to wait a bit or plan on adding a few more miles to your trip.
Right on. Would it be worth driving around the south and trying out the east side approach of La Sal Pass? or should I just camp out at the west side road closure and hoof it? Sounds like around an 18-19 mile round trip day on the west side, although it's mostly road hiking. The La Sals don't have the luxury of a site with current beta like this! Planning on a Thursday attempt at this time.
"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment." - Evan Hardin
kaiman
Trip Reports (10)

Post by kaiman »

AlexMack wrote:Right on. Would it be worth driving around the south and trying out the east side approach of La Sal Pass? or should I just camp out at the west side road closure and hoof it? Sounds like around an 18-19 mile round trip day on the west side, although it's mostly road hiking. The La Sals don't have the luxury of a site with current beta like this! Planning on a Thursday attempt at this time.
It's probably a draw either way. When the road is open most people drive around to Old La Sal because the approach from the east side of La Sal Pass is on a two-wheel drive road versus the approach from Pack Creek on the Moab (west side) is a fairly steep and somewhat rough four wheel drive road. The only difficulty on the east side approach is a stream crossing fairly low down that is probably definitely high right now so you will need a vehicle with some clearance (if the road is open that far). I'm not sure how far up the road is open on the east side but you could call the Moab Ranger District at 435-259-7155 to find out. I am pretty sure the road from the west side (Pack Creek) is still totally closed at the Pack Creek Picnic Area as the FS doesn't tend to do any maintenance on it and just let the jeepers open it for them in the spring. Both ways are gong to require some additional mileage but you may not have to hike quite as far if you don't mind driving around and approaching from the east.

Good luck,

Kai

- Joe Stettner

- Andy Kirkpatrick
kaiman
Trip Reports (10)

Post by kaiman »

FYI for anyone who is interested: I spoke with the Forest Service this morning and as of today (5/20/2014) only the Lake Oowah Road is open all the way to the campground/lake and Carter Lake trailhead. They expect to have the road to Warner Lake open by the end of the week but the La Sal Pass and Geyser Pass Roads are still closed at the winter closures.

The folks at the Moab office told me that the La Sal Pass Road on the Pack Creek side is totally muddy down low and snowbound up top. On the east side the creek crossing on the La Sal Pass road is roaring and may not be passable yet and the upper road is pretty rutted out as the haven't done any grading on it yet. The road to Geyser Pass will supposedly be open in the next couple weeks once some of the snow drifts melt a bit and it is graded. Miners Basin and Beaver Basin roads probably won't be drivable until after the first of June.

Just so you know,

Kai

- Joe Stettner

- Andy Kirkpatrick
boudreaux
14ers: 57 
13ers: 113
Trip Reports (11)

Post by boudreaux »

I went up there on June 7th, 2013, and the road to Geyser Pass was open, there was only one spot, about a mile below the pass on the westside that had some snow. It was a shaded spot on a north face in the road about 10 yards, but I was able to plow through it in my car with no problems. But that was last year of course!

Kircher: How do you plan to exit your traverse? Something I want to do in the future, tried last year, but car trouble had me changing my plans and got the north group only.

Has anybody ever rode the entire loop around the range on a bike?
Ragin Cajun