What to do in Wyoming this weekend?

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
SurfNTurf
14ers: 58  28 
13ers: 127 7
Trip Reports (48)

What to do in Wyoming this weekend?

Post by SurfNTurf »

Long-weekend plans for Southwest Colorado are likely falling through due to the forecast, and I'm leaning toward chasing sunshine in Wyoming instead. The only problem being I've never been there. I'm furiously browsing SummitPost for ideas, and I'll probably pick up a guidebook on my lunch break, but I figured I'd poll 14ers.com for suggestions. Here are the details:

-It's me and my girlfriend. We have four-season gear, snowshoes and experience with an ax and crampons. We haven't logged much time on rock and don't want to do anything technical, which I realize cuts out a lot of options in the Tetons.

-We were going to do the Snake Couloir and/or Naked Lady Couloir this weekend. If we can find a comparable route, that would be ideal.

-This isn't a BAG ALL THE PEAKZ!!11!!! trip. It was meant to be mostly relaxing, with a summit thrown in sometime over the course of three days. If we can find a mountain to climb, great, but I'd also be interested to hear ideas on simpler dayhikes and touristy stuff.

-Leaning toward Grand Teton or Yellowstone National Park. The Wind Rivers would be cool, but I'm assuming everything would require an epic approach this time of year. We are leaving tomorrow at lunch and plan on spending all day Saturday, all day Sunday, and a half-day Monday exploring whatever.

Thanks everyone!
“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Re: What to do in Wyoming this weekend?

Post by Scott P »

Middle Teton might be good one to try.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
jbchalk
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (54)

Post by jbchalk »

Jeff - if you were considering the Snake, something similar in the Tetons may be a camp up at the Meadows in Garnet Canyon and a climb of the Middle Teton's SW couloir. You could also tack on the South Teton via the connecting saddle.
12ersRule
13ers: 157
Trip Reports (4)

Post by 12ersRule »

Take the ferry (or hike around) across Jenny Lake and do the Cascade Canyon trail in the Tetons. Just enjoy exploring and learn the lay of the land.

Yellowstone - the canyons area is my personal favorite. Exploring the geyser basin off-trail could be a serious adventure too.
Last edited by 12ersRule on Thu May 22, 2014 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
TaylorHolt
14ers: 58  2  15 
13ers: 210 7
Trip Reports (8)

Post by TaylorHolt »

Glad you posted this because I'm considering something similar, and I'm a wyoming noob. My San Juan plans are looking less and less likely.
“If you're bumming out, you're not gonna get to the top, so as long as we're up here we might as well make a point of grooving." -Scott Fischer
djkest
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (44)

Post by djkest »

The Medicine Bow area is pretty nice as well, although I haven't been there in 20 years. You'd also spend more time relaxing and less time driving. :)

http://www.summitpost.org/medicine-bow-mountains/616371
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog
Scott P
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

You'd also spend more time relaxing and less time driving. :)
I was thinking of suggesting the Medicine Bows too, but is the highway going to be open? Usually they try to open it sometime between Memorial Day and mid June. If the highway is closed you would have to hoof it in quite a ways in order to get to the good stuff.

The WyDot website says the highway is closed, but doesn't give an opening date. :?:

http://map.wyoroad.info/wtimapj/lo.html?hp=&s=&r=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
12ersRule
13ers: 157
Trip Reports (4)

Post by 12ersRule »

Scott P wrote:The WyDot website says the highway is closed, but doesn't give an opening date.
Still a LOT of snow there!
Scott P
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Still a LOT of snow there!
True (there's always a lot of snow there before July and sometimes later), but usually it gets plowed sometime between Memorial Day to mid June.

I'd definitely call the highway department before heading up there.
TaylorHolt
14ers: 58  2  15 
13ers: 210 7
Trip Reports (8)

Post by TaylorHolt »

jbchalk wrote:Jeff - if you were considering the Snake, something similar in the Tetons may be a camp up at the Meadows in Garnet Canyon and a climb of the Middle Teton's SW couloir. You could also tack on the South Teton via the connecting saddle.
That looks intriguing. Any idea if those east-facing slopes to access the saddle would be avy prone?
“If you're bumming out, you're not gonna get to the top, so as long as we're up here we might as well make a point of grooving." -Scott Fischer
ChrisinAZ
14ers: 58  14 
13ers: 36
Trip Reports (12)

Post by ChrisinAZ »

I'll third Medicine Bows--highly, highly recommend the area! Way less travel for some less-dramatic-than-the-Tetons-but-still-incredible scenery! Even if the highway's still closed, it shouldn't be too impossible to get back to Lake Marie on x-c skis, though snowshoes would be somewhat more of a trek. If climbing Medicine Bow Pk isn't a priority, come in from the east and explore the near-treeline meadows and lakes...coming from the west might work better if you do want to climb it, though probably less scenic.
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason."
— Jack Handy

Mah peaks
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B »

I'll be the negative-Nancy about the Medicine Bows this time 'o year. Until the road is opened the snow covered road is snow-mobile mayhem. I went ski-touring up there once and counted over 30 trucks with trailers for snow-mobiles at the road closure (most of which had 2+ snowmobiles). I did not enjoy myself.

Yes, it is a beautiful area with some cool peaks and close to the FRange. No, you will not have solitude. Or quiet. Or air that doesn't reek of exhaust.

Edit - the snowmobile activity may die off somewhat seeing as it's spring, just be forewarned that Laramites and Cheyennites love them some fossil-fuel powered recreation.

I'd suggest checking out the Lander area. Pretty surroundings and even if you don't want technical climbing Sinks Canyon is awesome (as is the camping near the Popo Aggie) and Wild Iris is cool if the road is melted out. Ten Sleep canyon is purty too (albeit a bit further from Lander).

I'd also suggest just taking a look at the Black Hills area in South Dakota - they are a truly under appreciated gem and one of the only places you can find Crow Peak IPA.
Make wilderness less accessible.