Southern UT backpacking loop

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Bob Kocher
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 24
Trip Reports (4)

Southern UT backpacking loop

Post by Bob Kocher »

Quick disclaimer that I haven't searcher through the forum yet (planning to do that tonight), but I wanted to see if anyone has done a 2-3 night backpacking loop in southern UT that they'd recommend. I know there's a lot of options, but this is a last minute trip for this weekend so I'm hoping for some suggestions to help my research. We'll leave Colorado Springs Saturday morning and drive to UT and then drive back Tues afternoon, so any loop that's reasonable for that time frame would be an option. Last year I did the Taylor Canyon loop (start at Alcove Spring TH and end at the Upheaval Dome parking lot) and something comparable would be ideal.

Any suggestions will be helpful!

Thanks
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Re: Southern UT backpacking loop

Post by Scott P »

This time of year, it's best to go somewhere with water.

I'd highly recommend something like the Fortymile/Willow Loop in Escalante, but it is a longer drive. There is a nice loop in Lower Death Hollow as well.

Lower Larry Canyon in the Roost makes a nice loop.

Upper Salt Creek in Canyonlands has some nice loop and isn't as hot as other parts in Canyonlands.

Of course, there are many other choices as well.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
Bob Kocher
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 24
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Bob Kocher »

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll look into these.
mtn_nut
14ers: 58  14 
13ers: 35 1
Trip Reports (5)

Post by mtn_nut »

Bob Kocher wrote:Quick disclaimer that I haven't searcher through the forum yet (planning to do that tonight), but I wanted to see if anyone has done a 2-3 night backpacking loop in southern UT that they'd recommend. I know there's a lot of options, but this is a last minute trip for this weekend so I'm hoping for some suggestions to help my research. We'll leave Colorado Springs Saturday morning and drive to UT and then drive back Tues afternoon, so any loop that's reasonable for that time frame would be an option. Last year I did the Taylor Canyon loop (start at Alcove Spring TH and end at the Upheaval Dome parking lot) and something comparable would be ideal.

Any suggestions will be helpful!

Thanks
Where did you go this last weekend? Its starting to get pretty warm in the desert as its the tail end of spring, but there are lots of fun trips.

Salt Creek is good, as well as anywhere in the needles.

owl/fish creek is a great overnight too, with lots to explore around cedar mesa.

hole in the rock road has lots of routes along it, including the fantastic coyote gulch route and short trips like zebra slot.

I just wrote up some stuff on capitol reef too, and theres lots of options there too