Mt. Shasta - clear creek route

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
XrunclimbskiX
14ers: 21 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Mt. Shasta - clear creek route

Post by XrunclimbskiX »

I have been living in the Bay Area for the last year and am moving back to Colorado in two weeks! I cannot wait. One thing that I didn't scratch off the to do list while I was here was Shasta. So I am climbing on Thursday via the Clear Creek route. I have chosen this route due to me wanting a non-snow route. With that said, with the infinite knowledge of climbing on this site, anyone been up there recently that has any beta that I can use? Any help, including advice would be appreciated.

-Graham
boudreaux
14ers: 57 
13ers: 113
Trip Reports (11)

Re: Mt. Shasta - clear creek route

Post by boudreaux »

While it's been since 2012, Clear Creek is a nice trail all the way. You climb through a nice forest to the spring at treeline. The spring is a good place to fill up and it's cold and clear! From there it hugs a non-descript ridge and then above that it switchbacks towards the summit. Once near the large rubber duckie looking rock, I lost the trail, but the trail actually ascends gently to the left through a boulder field to the top of a ridge. Straightforward to the summit and go left of the summit block onto the edge of the glacier, and skirt around left some more to another slope and then turn right and up to the summit. It's a very dusty trail, nothing grows up there, so the dust will be flying if it gets windy. I kinda thought it was like a giant Grays Peak, but the glaciers at the top were amazing! I did it in Sept with zero snow on the slopes, don't know what it looks like in June though! Reaching the TH was not hard even in a small Honda! I wrote a TR, see my profile for it.

Shasta Ranger Station 530-926-4511
Shasta Avy Report 530-926-9613
5th Season (climbing and ski report, 24 hr recorded message) 530-930-5555, local gear and guide shop in Shasta, CA
Ragin Cajun
sstratta
14ers: 57  11  14 
13ers: 121 11 9
Trip Reports (0)

Post by sstratta »

Hi Graham,
If you end up climbing it this Thursday would you mind posting or sending me any pics you get of the other routes on the mountain? Especially pictures of current snow coverage. I'm heading to Shasta this weekend, not sure which route I'm doing though. Thanks!
- Sarah
Keelintime
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Keelintime »

We climbed Shasta via. the CC route on memorial day weekend this year. exactly 4 weeks ago now, gorgeous route, had a great time. Hiked in to treeline, about three miles, made camp, summited the next day (big day, 5700 vertical). We had good climbing snow the entire way from camp to the summit, made for easy climbing, unfortunately I would assume most of this is gone for you, so you'll have lots of scree, but gentle slopes at least. Glissaded most of the way down, we estimated over 4000 vertical of the 5700, made for 1.5 hours total descent, tons of fun!

Shasta was the highlight of the year for us, so far!

BTW: The next day we headed over and climbed Lassen peak; what a gem! Until then I hadn't even heard of this peak or National Park. If you have time, stop by and check this one out! only a 10'er, but gorgeous. You can see Lassen from Shasta (and of course, vice-versa).
climbing_rob
14ers: 58 
13ers: 121
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbing_rob »

Woops, that last shasta post was me, not Keelintime; he's a pal visiting, was logged into my computer....
Steve Nicholls
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 168
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Steve Nicholls »

That totally confused me....
I would agree - highlight of the year so far.
XrunclimbskiX
Trip Reports (0)

Post by XrunclimbskiX »

Thanks, everybody. Sarah, I will don't best to get a post up of current conditions on Friday.
XrunclimbskiX
Trip Reports (0)

Post by XrunclimbskiX »

We got weathered out at 11.000 feet. Bad visibility and sleet/snow. We couldn't see much so I don't have much beta. I am having trouble uploading pics from my phone PM me and I can send you a couple.