Solo climb on Mt. Shasta, Clear Creek, July 19

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
GóraBoy
Trip Reports (0)

Solo climb on Mt. Shasta, Clear Creek, July 19

Post by GóraBoy »

Hello guys! I am new to this forum, 14ers.com, so take easy on me!

I love to hike/scramble and before I know it, I haven't done a hike for last many years (besides Half Dome last year). So yeah, thanks to college, job, etc.

After a couple of recent deep thoughts, it's time for me to step back and re-prioritize my life plans. With that being said, climb and touch +14ers is my top priority right now.

So what's my first 14er? Mt Shasta! And I will do it tomorrow - overnight at main camp, hit the summit on July 20 and then zoom back to trailhead in end of the day.

Any advices are much appreciated!

Cheers,
alpinenut
14ers: 53  4  3 
13ers: 21 2 2
Trip Reports (3)

Re: Solo climb on Mt. Shasta, Clear Creek, July 19

Post by alpinenut »

I just did this route about 2 weeks ago. Best camp site is right about 9600 ft on the ridge. But the last water is at 8400 ft (if it is still flowing). TH is 6400 ft. We did it in one push after sleeping at the TH. Left the TH at 3am. Met people leaving camp at 9600 around 545am so we were pretty much on the same schedule without having to pack all of our camping stuff in. It's a LONG hike from the TH though. 7800' vertical. Unlike anything I have ever even considered doing in CO.

When you get past the Rubber Ducky rock around 12,800' you go through some nasty scree infested chutes. We traversed right and went up the glacier for about 400' (I think it's the Winton Glacier). Don't know if it was worth it but we descended that way too. Don't go on the snow without an ice axe and crampons though!! If you aren't bringing crampons just go up the nasty scree chute. It's the standard route so it can't be that bad. I think we just had a hard time finding the right trail.

Awe inspiring mountain. It's basically about 5000' above timberline looking straight up. You can ski 7000' on that route in late May. I will definitely go back for the Hotlum Winton Route someday. Go check out the FifthSeason and ask them for advice. Really cool Mountaineering Store in Shasta City. They rent everything under the sun and they're really cool people. They also have a conditions hotline that is updated every morning.
alpinenut
14ers: 53  4  3 
13ers: 21 2 2
Trip Reports (3)

Post by alpinenut »

I forgot to mention. When you're done, Goat Tavern for dinner. That have about 20 local beers on tap. Even a local root beer by the bottle. I was craving a Bacon BBQ Cheeseburger with Cheddar. They have the "Possibly the Worlds Best Hamburger" on their menu. It's a Bacon Cheeseburger with Smoked Cheddar, BBQ Sauce, and Basil Pesto Mayo (weird addition but yummy). I was in heaven!! PM me if you want any more info.
GóraBoy
Trip Reports (0)

Post by GóraBoy »

Many thanks for phone call! Great advices! Will be waiting for you to send me maps, etc.