Help With Grand Canyon Backpack Trip

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
bookerlen
14ers: 22 
Trip Reports (0)

Help With Grand Canyon Backpack Trip

Post by bookerlen »

Hi All,

Our group, the Michigan Flatlanders, are changing things up this year and instead of going up we're going down, into the Grand Canyon for a week long backpack trip. We'll be going on the Tanner-Escalante-Grandview trail, about a 41 mile trek over seven days. None of us have been in the Big Ditch before so even though this is our 14ers site, I thought there might be some who have backpacked in the Canyon before, maybe even this route. We already have our back-country permit and itinerary, flights, etc., now we need to do actual trail and conditions research. I'm hoping someone can share their experience and maybe help point me in the right direction for helpful information. We're going at the end of Sept. so hopefully the temps will be more moderate.

Our biggest concerns are navigation on the trail, getting help in an emergency, and maintaining hydration when we're not close to the Colorado river. I'm looking especially for a place to find and download a GPX file for the Tanner-Escalante-Grandview route. Also, any personal experience with conditions, etc., would be appreciated along with any recommended web sites.

Any help would be great,
Len
Bookerlen

"Make us Thy mountaineers; we would not linger on the lower slope"
-Amy Carmichael (The Last Defile)-
jomagam
14ers: 16 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Help With Grand Canyon Backpack Trip

Post by jomagam »

Did you mention what time of the year you're going ?
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

We're going at the end of Sept. so hopefully the temps will be more moderate.
For my taste, it's still way too hot then for this particular route and personally I wouldn't recommend it until at least mid or late October (though November is better). The average daytime temperature drops from 96F in mid September down to 92F by the end of the month. That may not sound that hot, but it really is along a mostly waterless route with little shade and strenuous conditions. Also, of course temperatures aren't always average and it can easily be well above 100F that time of year.

Our biggest concerns are navigation on the trail, getting help in an emergency, and maintaining hydration when we're not close to the Colorado river.
With the hot temperatures, carry two gallons of water when you are away from the river.
I'm looking especially for a place to find and download a GPX file for the Tanner-Escalante-Grandview route.
I don't know where to find one, but I'd highly recommend not relying on that alone anyway. Know how to read a topo map. Study up and the various rock layers present in the Grand Canyon and know which ones form benches. This is very important on remote routes, though the route you are going on is better defined than it used to be.

Anyway, my son did the Hance-Grandview Loop at age 4, so the route isn't that difficult. Photographs and trip report:

http://www.summitpost.org/a-grand-and-c ... yon/253033" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Be prepared for a strenuous trip and be prepared to pull out your map often, especially on the Escalante Route. Because of the lack of water on parts of that route, getting lost can easily be fatal.

There is scrambling along those routes, but the biggest danger is the heat. Don't underestimate the heat in September. Start very early in the morning and relax in the afternoon.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
caverdude
14ers: 37  2 
13ers: 16 2
Trip Reports (2)

Post by caverdude »

As an Arizona native I would reiterate what Scott said, especially about water. The Grand Canyon is a very inhospitable place that lures hikers into thinking it's straightforward. If your group has previous desert hiking experience and you have researched all the water sources planned along your route, then you should be ok. Winter and Spring are the best times to backpack the Canyon since you will have more water options, snow and/or rock pockets filled with water. Summer and Fall weather don't allow for those water sources.
Most backpackers new to the Grand Canyon stick to the corridor just to play it safe. Heat exhaustion and stroke can sneak up on you even if you feel you have been drinking plenty of fluids. Be careful and remember it can be a long way between water sources.
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

All legal/permitted campsites will have water. However, you may not see any between two campsites, unless you go to the river. So the recommendation is 8 liters of water. The day out could need more.

You will share camping with little critters who want to eat all your food and other stuff. Each legal campsite should have some hanging wire for food, since there are very few trees inside the canyon.

Some trips I've dumped the tent if it was a dry time of year. Few bugs unless you are on three horse trails.
wineguy
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 143
Trip Reports (7)

Post by wineguy »

Sorry to highjack this thread, but I'm planning a rim-to-rim hike mid-Sept, camping just one night at the bottom. Have two strategies to beat the heat. 1. Possibly hiking down under full moon at night. 2. Hiking out very early (like 5:00 am to 9:00 am, to south rim on Kaibab trail). Does the canyon cool down at night? Does my plan make sense?
"Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs. I am haunted by waters." - Norman Maclean
jdorje
14ers: 12 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (16)

Post by jdorje »

wineguy wrote:Sorry to highjack this thread, but I'm planning a rim-to-rim hike mid-Sept, camping just one night at the bottom. Have two strategies to beat the heat. 1. Possibly hiking down under full moon at night. 2. Hiking out very early (like 5:00 am to 9:00 am, to south rim on Kaibab trail). Does the canyon cool down at night? Does my plan make sense?
Sounds easy. Like all deserts, the canyon cools massively at night. Get your camping permit in advance if it's a popular time of year. The usual way to avoid heat is to hike very early in the morning. Full moon nighttime could be pretty awesome, except that getting lost could be life-threatening.
"I don't think about the past, and the future is a mystery. Only the present matters."
wineguy
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 143
Trip Reports (7)

Post by wineguy »

Thanks for the replies, my partner has a permit to camp at the bottom so that's taken care of. Just planning other details. Unfortunately, can't get reservations at Phantom Ranch for meals, they filled up long ago.
"Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs. I am haunted by waters." - Norman Maclean
Scott P
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

All legal/permitted campsites will have water.
Not so. Where did you ever get that idea? :?:

I'd certainly recommend camping near water in the hot season though.
Each legal campsite should have some hanging wire for food, since there are very few trees inside the canyon.
Not so again. Unless things have changed very recently, the only places with a place to hang food on this planned route are at the official campsites on Grandview Mesa. And no, there is no water there. The NPS only puts poles for hanging food on the corridor trails and a very few other popular trails. The vast majority of routes in the Grand Canyon have no such thing.
Cool Hand Luke
14ers: 58  1  5 
13ers: 105
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Cool Hand Luke »

I would recommend stopping by or calling the backcountry office a few days prior to your start day to confirm which water sources are turned on and are dependable. During a Rim-to-Rim-to-Rim run we went by the information provided by the gate Rangers and unfortunately one of the sources we were relying on ended up being turned off in the previous few days. Fortunately it was just a major inconvenience and not a disaster. The backcountry office should have the most up-to-date info.
bookerlen
14ers: 22 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bookerlen »

Thanks all for the replies and suggestions, they are duly noted.

Anyone know where I can download a reliable GPX file for the Tanner-Escalante-Grandview route?

Also, where to find location and availability of water sources along the route, other than the Colorado River? My biggest concern is the last 2 days of our trip as we'll be away from the river on our climb out.

Thanks
Len
Bookerlen

"Make us Thy mountaineers; we would not linger on the lower slope"
-Amy Carmichael (The Last Defile)-
Scott P
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Also, where to find location and availability of water sources along the route, other than the Colorado River?
Unlike other National Parks, the Grand Canyon backcountry desk is actually pretty good about this. You can drop them an email to check current conditions.

The only reliable water sources along that route are Colorado River, Hance Creek, and Page Spring (a.k.a. Miners Spring). There is often water in lower Red Canyon, but don't count on it, especially in hot weather.

Except for Horseshoe Mesa, all campsites in the area are open camping. Horseshoe Mesa has designated campsites, but no water.