Middle Teton Attempt

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
tylerrust413
14ers: 49  4 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Middle Teton Attempt

Post by tylerrust413 »

My family is making a trip up to Jackson the first week of August and I'm looking to attempt the Middle Teton one day.

I'm looking for a few things:

1. It looks like its 5 miles, 2500 ft. gain from Lupine Meadows to Garnet Canyon. Any estimations or ideas how much farther it is to the summit from the canyon? How much distance will I need to cover to gain the extra 3500 ft to the summit?

2. I consider myself an experienced climber, having completed almost 20 14ers, and a few of those in the snow. It sounds like there is still some snow up near the summits. Will I need an ice axe or crampons?

3. As of now, I doubt anyone in my family will be up for the challenge of climbing the Middle Teton. Anyone else planning to be in the area and want to come with me? I have hiked alone, but being unfamiliar with the area, I wouldn't mind some company. I'm hoping to go one day between August 3rd and the 7th. Message me if interested.

Thanks!
Tortoise1
14ers: 15 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Middle Teton Attempt

Post by Tortoise1 »

awilbur77 wrote:
tylerrust413 wrote: I consider myself an experienced climber, having completed almost 20 14ers, and a few of those in the snow.
](*,)
Your brevity is to be applauded, but no comprende.
TravelingMatt
14ers: 56 
13ers: 435
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TravelingMatt »

The total day from Lupine Meadows is something like 17 miles roundtrip and 5800' of gain. The kicker though is once the official National Park Service trail ends there's only an occasional climber's trail, with lots of hopping around big boulders and occasional loose dirt and scree. There is at least one scrambly stretch in the canyon itself, with more continuous scrambling above the South Saddle.

So, a good bit harder than something like Holy Cross, which has similar stats.

If you want to go only as far as the South Saddle, or even a bit above the saddle before the scrambling starts, it is still a worthwhile day.

Can't speak for snow other than "expect it". I did it in September.
You never know what is enough until you know what is more than enough. -- William Blake
JohnnyDangerous
14ers: 11  2  7 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by JohnnyDangerous »

I did the North Ridge of the Middle and descended the standard route about a week ago. There is still a lot of snow up there. An axe is necessary, and use your discretion with crampons. I never took mine out of the bag, but on an alternate route they might come in handy.
pvnisher
Trip Reports (8)

Post by pvnisher »

Tortoise1 wrote:
awilbur77 wrote:
tylerrust413 wrote: I consider myself an experienced climber, having completed almost 20 14ers, and a few of those in the snow.
](*,)
Your brevity is to be applauded, but no comprende.
I believe he is attempting to express incredulity that a person of that experience level would lump themselves into the "experienced" category.
tylerrust413
14ers: 49  4 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tylerrust413 »

Thanks for the info!

Still looking for people if they are interested to join in!