The Cobra (Fisher Towers) has fallen

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

The Cobra (Fisher Towers) has fallen

Post by Scott P »

http://unofficialnetworks.com/2014/08/s ... fter-photo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

See link for photo credits.

I guess I'm lucky that I was able to climb it.

http://www.summitpost.org/the-cobra/168056" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Anyway, the quote a put on the original SP page was:

More than one climber has used the phrases that “it shouldn’t be there” or that “it may not last much longer”, but the rock seems OK for sandstone.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
Brian C
14ers: 45  5 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (25)

Re: The Cobra (Fisher Towers) has fallen

Post by Brian C »

What are the Fisher Towers?

PS - Other aid tricks? Old cowboy rope throw is definitely an interesting "climbing" technique.
Brian in the Wild
Lists of John
"Nature never did betray the heart that loved her." - Wordsworth
painless4u2
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (8)

Post by painless4u2 »

Hmmm, makes you wonder if the chubby Boy Scout guys have been at it again...
rock toppler.jpg
rock toppler.jpg (6.55 KiB) Viewed 3501 times
Bad decisions often make good stories.

IPAs + Ambien = "14ers" post (Bill M.)

In their hearts humans plan their course, but the Lord establishes their steps. Proverbs 16:9
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

I don't see the top piece in the picture...maybe some west-slope billionaire had it helicoptered to his private estate.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
Tortoise1
14ers: 15 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Tortoise1 »

Jim Davies wrote:I don't see the top piece in the picture...maybe some west-slope billionaire had it helicoptered to his private estate.
Nor is there any damage in the picture - must have fallen to the other side.
tlongpine
14ers: 27  1  2 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (4)

Post by tlongpine »

SilverLynx wrote:We were just talking about this phenomenon in Chicago Basin less than a week ago. In time, things like the summit block on Sunlight, the Diving Board on Pyramid, and other similar features will crumble away or fall. As sad as it may be to see an iconic feature like that go away, you have to admit it's cool to see something naturally change in the landscape that has remained the same for millennia. We are here for only a brief moment in geologic time.
We witnessed a significant landslide in Zion last year. It was incredible and humbling. That, this, and the Longs Peak landslide are all reminders that "geologic time is now".
I am unable to walk away from the mountain without climbing it. An unclimbed mountain tugs at my consciousness with the eternal weight of time itself. Until I've pressed my face into it's alpine winds, hugged it's ancient granite walls, and put it's weathered summit beneath my heal I'm unable to resist it's attraction.Knowing nature gives the mountain more time than she gives us adds urgency to the obsession. As has been said before; the mountain doesn't care.

It can wait forever. I cannot.
Scott P
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

PS - Other aid tricks?
Yes, there were at least a few different ways for "cheating" climbers to aid The (former) Cobra.
I don't see the top piece in the picture...
It probably rolled down the steep hill.
Hungry Jack
14ers: 12 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Hungry Jack »

Miners Castle at Pictured Rocks succumbed to the elements (or Boy Scouts) several years ago.
please rotate your device
grock52
14ers: 35 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (1)

Post by grock52 »

I've climbed in the fishers several times but never climbed the cobra. always came off a route late in the day and thought, "i'll climb that next time". guess I should learn a lesson from this.
When I look down from mountains lofty grandeur... my soul cries out, My God, how great Thou art
tlongpine
14ers: 27  1  2 
Trip Reports (4)

Post by tlongpine »

Look on the bright side. This is a FA opportunity in an area that doesn't have many remaining. Who will claim "Headless Cobra"?
I am unable to walk away from the mountain without climbing it. An unclimbed mountain tugs at my consciousness with the eternal weight of time itself. Until I've pressed my face into it's alpine winds, hugged it's ancient granite walls, and put it's weathered summit beneath my heal I'm unable to resist it's attraction.Knowing nature gives the mountain more time than she gives us adds urgency to the obsession. As has been said before; the mountain doesn't care.

It can wait forever. I cannot.
Scott P
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

I'm going to use this to my advantage. When the young, much better and fitter climbers start bragging about the things they have climbed, I'm going to say something like "Oh yeah? I've done climbs that you will never climb". If the disagree, or ask which ones, I'll just reply with "The Cobra".
ColoradoGuy
14ers: 22 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ColoradoGuy »

Here is my photo of it from last year. Sad to know it's no more.

It's a tough job, but someone has to photograph the mountain. www.MtPrinceton.org