Table Mountain Tetons

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Vermont Mike
14ers: 36 
13ers: 32 3
Trip Reports (1)

Table Mountain Tetons

Post by Vermont Mike »

I'll be in the Tetons for a few days in a couple weeks and plan on doing some long day hikes while the parents do the tourist thing (I've already done that). We'll be spending a couple nights in Driggs, ID, and I was thinking of taking advantage of being able to be picked up at the end of a one-way route. One thought is to hike up to Table Mountain and then south to Hurricane Pass, then on down either Cascade or Paintbrush canyons. A couple questions for anyone that has hiked in those areas: is there a better (i.e. quicker bushwhack) way east down Table Mountain to the Teton Crest Trail than going all the way south to Hurricane Pass (which I understand involves at least one scree slog)? Is it worth the extra effort to continue up the Lake Solitude Trail and down Paintbrush Canyon vs. the shorter route down through Cascade Canyon (I've already been up a couple miles of the Cascade Canyon trail in the past)? Any recommendations of a better route altogether that involves coming in from the west/Driggs area and finishing in the Jenny Lake/String Lake area? Thanks for any input!!
MtnHub
14ers: 28 
13ers: 23
Trip Reports (50)

Re: Table Mountain Tetons

Post by MtnHub »

It's been a long time since I've done Table and others may be able to give you better information about it, but I don't recall a very good or easy access to the other side. But going down either Cascade or Paintbrush would be very beautiful. If I had the choice I'd probably choose Cascade simply for the fantastic view you have of the Grand centered between the others, but Paintbrush has it's beauty as well. That loop (Cascade up and Paintbrush down) has got to be one of my all-time favorite hikes! Have fun! :-D