Charleston Peak NV

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Derek
Trip Reports (57)

Charleston Peak NV

Post by Derek »

Just wondering if anyone has any info on conditions for Charleston. There are no Snotel sites near the elevation that I can find (I may just stink at searching) so not sure if I am expecting dry or 2 feet of snow. Mainly just want to be able to estimate RT time. (Snowy, slower..etc) Hoping maybe someone in LV or someone driving by recently has checked in out.

Also, I am getting conflicting internet reports (and no answer at the ranger station) and was curious if the South trail was still closed?

Thanks in advance!

--D
12ersRule
14ers: 58 
13ers: 157
Trip Reports (4)

Re: Charleston Peak NV

Post by 12ersRule »

I'm wondering if there just isn't any snow to report. About a month ago, I was having the same issue with CO sites and it turned out there wasn't any snow in the area.

I clicked on the SNOTEL link on LoJ and there was nothing, but I zoomed out a bit and it was showing just a trace of snow in the Sierras leading me to believe that Charleston may actually be pretty dry right now.

Here's what I was looking at. Looks like Mt Whitney only has a trace so I'm thinking you might be good to go:

http://www.nohrsc.noaa.gov/interactive/ ... &js=1&uc=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Derek
Trip Reports (57)

Post by Derek »

That would make sense why I'm not seeing anything! :-D

Hopefully that is the case...weather out for the next week looks clear too. Really wanted to collect some of the nearby peaks in the area too, but only have one day out so no snow would really help out time-wise.

Thanks

--D
kimo
14ers: 32  6 
13ers: 116 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by kimo »

D - This past weekend I was looking at the Ski Las Vegas webcam for Charleston. It appears there is very little snow at the resort. Google their webcam for a look.

Anna and I hiked ultra Hayford Peak about 30 miles north of Vegas last Christmas. There was little to no snow then too. It's a great peak but difficult to access due to 20-some miles of washboard road. Send me a note if you want some information on it. Have fun wherever you end up.
Paul S
14ers: 51 
13ers: 164
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Paul S »

Derek wrote:Also, I am getting conflicting internet reports (and no answer at the ranger station) and was curious if the South trail was still closed?
--D
Derek,

We went there to hike it on October 24 on our way back from Death Valley. The trailhead was closed, and the access road to it was signed as being open only to construction vehicles. There are no legal places to park besides the trailhead or the adjoining picnic area - all possible parking spaces along the road and at the resort/restaurant are heavily signed. We waited until the picnic area opened at 9:00am and talked to the ranger. She said that the trail has been closed since July 2013 due to heavy damage from a fire and subsequent flooding, and will probably stay closed well into next summer. :(

The sign at the trailhead threatened fines of $5,000 - $10,000 and imprisonment. Attached is a picture of the map that's at the trailhead showing the closure area.
Charleston-sign.jpg
Charleston-sign.jpg (117.45 KiB) Viewed 3722 times
If you're going to be in the area, check out Telescope Peak in Death Valley NP instead. Nice hike and summit! \:D/ Summerlike a month ago. You'd like it. Let me know if you want more info.
nyker
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

Paul S wrote:
Derek wrote:Also, I am getting conflicting internet reports (and no answer at the ranger station) and was curious if the South trail was still closed?
--D
Derek,

We went there to hike it on October 24 on our way back from Death Valley. The trailhead was closed, and the access road to it was signed as being open only to construction vehicles. There are no legal places to park besides the trailhead or the adjoining picnic area - all possible parking spaces along the road and at the resort/restaurant are heavily signed. We waited until the picnic area opened at 9:00am and talked to the ranger. She said that the trail has been closed since July 2013 due to heavy damage from a fire and subsequent flooding, and will probably stay closed well into next summer. :(

The sign at the trailhead threatened fines of $5,000 - $10,000 and imprisonment. Attached is a picture of the map that's at the trailhead showing the closure area.
Charleston-sign.jpg
If you're going to be in the area, check out Telescope Peak in Death Valley NP instead. Nice hike and summit! \:D/ Summerlike a month ago. You'd like it. Let me know if you want more info.
For the routes up the peak, I believe only the north trailhead is open. I was there in Feb and this was the only route legally open and was told it would be a year or so until the South TH resumed service. As noted, there are hefty fines for tresspassing, so be aware. The north TH follows a great route, but with a lot of fresh snow, there is avy risk just under the last section, so take care on that part.

Nice mustang in your profile Paul!
Derek
Trip Reports (57)

Post by Derek »

Thanks for the info everyone.

I stopped into the rei here in LV for a map and chatted with some people who assured me that only the south loop was closed, so I headed up yesterday to do the north loop. There was a "South Trail Closed" sign right on the summit antennae, and I could definitely see the fresh burn on top of Griffith.

Fun day...the mellow trail made the high mileage seem like less. Some small patches of ice on the trail above 11k, but otherwise completely dry.

Thanks again!

--D
nyker
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

Congrats! I've never seen the area dry but, but its such a nice place and so close to Vegas makes a nice diversion from the city lights.
nyker
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

Bumping this up-

Has anyone climbed Charleston Peak recently with snow, from the South side? Looking for any recent beta on it...
nyker
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

In case anyone is headed out that way, I attempted Charleston Peak last week - I made the ridge from the south side, but was stopped by deep fresh drifted powder on what seemed like unstable slope, 30*-35*. There was a cliff 70-80 feet underneath so didn't feel it was worth the risk after the fresh snow the night before.
I'm always amazed how much snow that mountain gets. It was also -5*F at the trailhead, which once walking up didn't feel that cold since it's a "dry" cold. Seems like Spring will be a better time to get it when snow is more stable.