California 14ers skiing partner-- January

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Couloirman
14ers: 16 
Trip Reports (0)

California 14ers skiing partner-- January

Post by Couloirman »

I will be in California for most of January and am looking to ski some 14ers. I am avy level 2 certified, have skied many Colorado 14ers (my list on this site isn't updated but I've done somewhere around 30), but am coming from the flatland so will need a little time and a couple peaks to really acclimate. If anyone is looking for a partner I am going to be going after the easiest, safest routes on any of the 14ers I can find-- I'm not too picky. Hit me up if you have any ideas for peaks you wanted to bag, advice on logistics of skiing California 14ers in winter, advice on some of the easier ascents/descents I could ski, or if you just need a partner yourself. Not looking to ski/climb anything too technical as I will not be bringing ropes. I am fully aware that some approaches are insanely long, there may be no snow, and some of the peaks have extremely technical climbing/skiing. I have been using the CA 14ers book for research purposes and have some ideas, but since I have never been in the area before it's always good to chat with locals :)
Couloir than you are
Couloirman
Trip Reports (0)

Re: California 14ers skiing partner-- January

Post by Couloirman »

My plans are now to hit Shasta, Langley, Williamsen, Whitney, Muir and Russell sometime during the first 3 weeks of January. If anyone has GPX files of the typical ascent/descent of Langley via the north face couloir, or Williamson via Bair's Creek I would greatly appreciate it. I know they are pretty serious bushwhacks below treeline and can be tough to find the right drainage. I just want to increase my chances of success since I will be trying one day pushes of each and will be starting in the dark. But I am sure I will make it work one way or the other ;)
Last edited by Couloirman on Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Couloir than you are
giarcd
14ers: 22 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (15)

Post by giarcd »

aggessive plan, sounds liked correct way to get it done. Best of good fortune 8)
Couloirman
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Couloirman »

Thanks! Looks like I might need it cause I'm guessing ICY ICY ICY conditions on Shasta next week to start things off. Who knows, maybe with a warm up I will get some corn. A man can dream can't he?
Couloir than you are