El Capitan free climb attempt

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
onebyone
14ers: 58  1 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: El Capitan free climb attempt

Post by onebyone »

@ TallGrass I had quite a time trying to explain to few people how you can Free Climb something with Ropes. Still don't think they understand. lol
polar
14ers: 2 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by polar »

ezabielski wrote: EDIT: Look into Microsoft ICE, I am pretty sure it can handle this. Look at this page: https://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en- ... ?forum=ice" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Under New Structured Panorama:"Use this option if you shot a regular rectangular grid of photos using a robotic panoramic capture device (like the GigaPan devices) or a specially-designed panoramic tripod head. Structured panoramas require that your images can be assigned to the rows or columns of a rectangular grid simply by listing the files in order by name or by date. ICE can take advantage of this regular structure to process very large sets of images (hundreds or thousands of photos), since it doesn't have to look for feature matches between all pairs of images."
It turned out the first time I saved it, it didn't save all the images. Took me a few tries to get them all, it was a 57 x 58 grid, so 3306 images in total. I tried MS ICE, unfortunately, even the "New Structure Panorama" need the photos to overlap a little bit. Since these photos don't, MS ICE was only able to stitch all the photos around the border, and leave the middle blank... fortunately, reading some messages on the MS ICE support forum pointed me to a command line based image processor. Long story short, after working around the character limit on the Windows Command prompt, I was finally able to stitch all of the images together.

I've marked the route using my best guess based on the topo from Yosemitebigwall.com. I tried to upload it here, but of course the file is too big. It is quite impressive to see the line they climbed.
"Getting to the bottom, OPTIONAL. Getting to the top, MANDATORY!" - The Wisest Trail Sign
ezabielski
14ers: 43  1 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ezabielski »

polar wrote:
ezabielski wrote: EDIT: Look into Microsoft ICE, I am pretty sure it can handle this. Look at this page: https://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en- ... ?forum=ice" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Under New Structured Panorama:"Use this option if you shot a regular rectangular grid of photos using a robotic panoramic capture device (like the GigaPan devices) or a specially-designed panoramic tripod head. Structured panoramas require that your images can be assigned to the rows or columns of a rectangular grid simply by listing the files in order by name or by date. ICE can take advantage of this regular structure to process very large sets of images (hundreds or thousands of photos), since it doesn't have to look for feature matches between all pairs of images."
It turned out the first time I saved it, it didn't save all the images. Took me a few tries to get them all, it was a 57 x 58 grid, so 3306 images in total. I tried MS ICE, unfortunately, even the "New Structure Panorama" need the photos to overlap a little bit. Since these photos don't, MS ICE was only able to stitch all the photos around the border, and leave the middle blank... fortunately, reading some messages on the MS ICE support forum pointed me to a command line based image processor. Long story short, after working around the character limit on the Windows Command prompt, I was finally able to stitch all of the images together.

I've marked the route using my best guess based on the topo from Yosemitebigwall.com. I tried to upload it here, but of course the file is too big. It is quite impressive to see the line they climbed.
You could post a Dropbox link. If they are 256x256 that should be about 216MP?
polar
14ers: 2 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by polar »

I uploaded it on MountainProject. It got downsized, but you can still see the route I marked somewhat.

http://www.mountainproject.com/images/7 ... 1421558787" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Getting to the bottom, OPTIONAL. Getting to the top, MANDATORY!" - The Wisest Trail Sign
USAKeller
14ers: 58  24  24 
13ers: 169 3 7
Trip Reports (46)

Post by USAKeller »

Black Diamond also did a little story on their climb with a little history behind it too: The Dawn Wall Goes Free