El Capitan free climb attempt

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
meg383
Trip Reports (0)

Re: El Capitan free climb attempt

Post by meg383 »

So my sister, a non-climber, told me she's been following this for a while and has been really inspired by it. I want her to watch Valley Uprising - anyone know where I/she can find it?
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

https://vimeo.com/ondemand/valleyuprising" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

Out of curisity, how do they provistion for three weeks of perishables?
Is someone periodically resupplying them?
kaiman
Trip Reports (10)

Post by kaiman »

peter303 wrote:Out of curisity, how do they provistion for three weeks of perishables?
Yes, they had a group of people supporting them by bringing in supplies and hauling out waste.
"I want to keep the mountains clean of racism, religion and politics. In the mountains this should play no role."

- Joe Stettner

"I haven't climbed Everest, skied to the poles, or sailed single-handed around the world. The goals I set out to accomplish aren't easily measured or quantified by world records or "firsts." The reasons I climb, and the climbs I do, are about more than distance or altitude, they are about breaking barriers within myself."

- Andy Kirkpatrick
TeamDino5280
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TeamDino5280 »

peter303 wrote:Out of curisity, how do they provistion for three weeks of perishables?
they were getting resupplied, also the temps were cool enough they could keep perishable food.
TallGrass
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TallGrass »

meg383 wrote:If you want a good laugh...(or to get really angry at stupid people...) http://www.adventure-journal.com/2015/0 ... b-is-dumb/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Somewhat understandable though when considering both common misunderstandings of "free climbing" and that the same site above points to comments as dumb but also conflates it with another article of how for El Cap's Nose "Harding devised a siege tactic based on a series of provisioned 'camps' linked together by fixed ropes, running back to a ground-level supply camp" and then later on "the Dawn Wall. He had spent 27 nights on the extreme face, living mostly in a tented hammock and consuming prodigious quantities of cheap red wine. Later that day he emerged over the top of the cliff to meet a throng of press reporters, well-wishers, and some furious Park Service rangers..." http://www.adventure-journal.com/2013/0 ... n-harding/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

First there was just climbing by yourself with no support nor protection ("Hey, that peak looks cool! I wonder if I can get to the top?"),
then climbing with others (group support),
then climbing with rope for some pro(tection),
then climbing with aid like bolts and pitons (and later ladders, cams, etc.),
then climbing without aid ("free [from aid] climbing"),
then climbing without rope ("free soloing"),
then climbing without anyone else ("solo free soloing"?),
which is what many of the first climbers were doing in the first place in the 1800s and prior (not to mention Native Americans) because there was no gear and no one was crazy enough to join them!
:wink:
Imagine a 19th century blacksmith: "You want me to put nails sticking out of your boots so you can do what?!"

Jorgeson and Caldwell's feat is impressive, clearly :bow: , but you gotta cut commenters not into climbing some slack for not splitting hairs regarding what "aid" (gear, food, cell phone weather data, ...) they were or weren't "free" of, just as you would climbers commenting on some RNA medical feat which seems indistinguishable from DNA to them. What's a tri-cam? What's a tri-cuspid valve? I don't expect people to get something they're not into, and am happy the pair were successful and alive at the end.

Early Mt. Hood climbers
1932 Australia
Eric Shipton, 1938 Everest expedition

... and for a laugh from a climber's view.

Cheers and congrats to Caldwell and Jorgeson! =D> :iluvbeer:
"A few hours' mountain climbing make of a rogue and a saint two fairly equal creatures.
Tiredness is the shortest path to equality and fraternity - and sleep finally adds to them liberty."
painless4u2
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (8)

Post by painless4u2 »

Here's a nice review with some cool interactive views of the wall: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/15/sport ... .html?_r=0
Bad decisions often make good stories.

IPAs + Ambien = "14ers" post (Bill M.)

In their hearts humans plan their course, but the Lord establishes their steps. Proverbs 16:9
polar
14ers: 2 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by polar »

Phill the Thrill wrote:3.4 Gigapixel composite image taken at 1 pm on Monday. Very cool!

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2015 ... ries-below" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Anyone know of an easy way to save this as one file? It's a bunch of high-res photos put together, and I'd rather not "right-click, save as" a hundred times and then try to piece them all together. I want to mark the route.
"Getting to the bottom, OPTIONAL. Getting to the top, MANDATORY!" - The Wisest Trail Sign
ezabielski
14ers: 43  1 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ezabielski »

polar wrote:
Phill the Thrill wrote:3.4 Gigapixel composite image taken at 1 pm on Monday. Very cool!

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2015 ... ries-below" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Anyone know of an easy way to save this as one file? It's a bunch of high-res photos put together, and I'd rather not "right-click, save as" a hundred times and then try to piece them all together. I want to mark the route.
I tried for you. You can save the entire web page and it will give you about 60 256x256 pictures. However there's no overlap between them so Photosphop's parorama tool wouldn't make any sense of it for me. Using Microsoft ICE would be worth a try but I'm not on a PC to use it.
polar
Trip Reports (1)

Post by polar »

ezabielski wrote: I tried for you. You can save the entire web page and it will give you about 60 256x256 pictures. However there's no overlap between them so Photosphop's parorama tool wouldn't make any sense of it for me. Using Microsoft ICE would be worth a try but I'm not on a PC to use it.
Thanks. 60 files, huh? I thought it would be more than that. Is there any pattern to the file names at all to help stitching them together? I may just have to take a bunch of screen shots and stitch them together. It won't be high-res, but it's easier than trying to put together a jigsaw puzzle with 60 squares.
"Getting to the bottom, OPTIONAL. Getting to the top, MANDATORY!" - The Wisest Trail Sign
polar
Trip Reports (1)

Post by polar »

Actually, I just tried it myself. The number of images depends on the zoom level. If you zoom in to right before the picture gets pixelated, it's 521 files. Luckily, the files seem to be in order, so I may try to put them all together in Photoshop... :wft:
ezabielski
14ers: 43  1 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ezabielski »

polar wrote:Actually, I just tried it myself. The number of images depends on the zoom level. If you zoom in to right before the picture gets pixelated, it's 521 files. Luckily, the files seem to be in order, so I may try to put them all together in Photoshop... :wft:
It seems to be a grid system for the file names. Mine are in the format 4-x-y where x is the horizontal grid location and y is the vertical. That would make it easier but you'd probably want to make a program to do that for 500+ files.

EDIT: Look into Microsoft ICE, I am pretty sure it can handle this. Look at this page: https://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en- ... ?forum=ice" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Under New Structured Panorama:"Use this option if you shot a regular rectangular grid of photos using a robotic panoramic capture device (like the GigaPan devices) or a specially-designed panoramic tripod head. Structured panoramas require that your images can be assigned to the rows or columns of a rectangular grid simply by listing the files in order by name or by date. ICE can take advantage of this regular structure to process very large sets of images (hundreds or thousands of photos), since it doesn't have to look for feature matches between all pairs of images."