Coyote Buttes Permit Question

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Tortoise1
14ers: 15 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Coyote Buttes Permit Question

Post by Tortoise1 »

To answer my own question of earlier you are supposed to do only one application per month, and then can specify three different choices of date. You can have up to six in the party and do not have to specify names of the other persons, only the applicant. They're now doing May and have a chart that shows the number of applicants per day. It looks like a lot of people but with three date choices it's got to be showing three times the actual number of applicants. It's five bucks by credit card to submit the application regardless of party size. So I did the last 3 Tuesdays in May for three. Weekdays seemed to be a little lighter, not a lot.
mtgirl
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 104
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtgirl »

If the lottery system is the same as it was a few years back, there's nothing saying you can't apply for the lottery multiple times and pay the $5 lottery fee each time. For example, if you have a party of two, and you each have two different email addresses, you can apply 4 times for one day. I did something similar, and actually won 3 out of 4 permits for the day I was seeking. I turned 2 back in so others could use them. I suspect this is the norm as long as you're willing to pay the lottery fees. The Wave was cool and all, but like Semitrueskerm, I enjoyed Buckskin Gulch much more. Explored the 21 mile stretch from Wire Pass to White House trailhead as a day trip the day after exploring the Wave. Good Luck with the permit !
"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."
IntrepidXJ
14ers: 34 
13ers: 63
Trip Reports (90)

Post by IntrepidXJ »

mtgirl wrote:The Wave was cool and all, but like Semitrueskerm, I enjoyed Buckskin Gulch much more.
The Wave is cool, but there is so much more to see in Coyote Buttes North (and South) that's also very cool, too. Most people go straight to The Wave (and maybe the Second Wave) and then hike back to the trailhead. Those people are really missing out. I have spent multiple trips exploring the less-visited areas ( http://adventr.co/2014/02/sand-cove-yellow-rock/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ) and have always found something cool to see and photograph. It's an amazing area. That said, Buckskin Gulch is pretty damn cool, too :) http://adventr.co/2014/12/wire-pass-to-buckskin-gulch/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Randy Langstraat | ADVENTR.co
Tortoise1
14ers: 15 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Tortoise1 »

mtgirl wrote:If the lottery system is the same as it was a few years back, there's nothing saying you can't apply for the lottery multiple times and pay the $5 lottery fee each time. For example, if you have a party of two, and you each have two different email addresses, you can apply 4 times for one day.
It may have changed. There's now some language about forfeiting your permit if you apply for more than one permit per month.