Mt. Whitney Trail end of May/first week of June 2015

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Holliewd
14ers: 22 
Trip Reports (0)

Mt. Whitney Trail end of May/first week of June 2015

Post by Holliewd »

Hi all, been a while since Ive been on but glad to be back! Ill be putting in for a permit for anytime last week of May through first week of June 2015. Wondering if anyone from our 14ers group will be planning the same? I am solo at this point but would love to have a designated climbing partner. I'm not fast, but i'm not slow and tend to be on the competitive side. That could mean everything or nothing :-D
"I'd rather be sitting on my motorcycle thinking about God, than sitting in church thinking about my motorcycle"
Stone Climber
14ers: 49  17 
13ers: 51 2
Trip Reports (3)

Re: Mt. Whitney Trail end of May/first week of June 2015

Post by Stone Climber »

PM Sent
HuskyRunner
14ers: 22  1 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (1)

Post by HuskyRunner »

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't it getting kinda late to be submitting for a permit for May or June? We just got our permit for East Face/East Buttress for July and we didn't get out first choice dates because they weren't available when we tried to reserve 2 hours after the opening time on that day.
"I made up my mind not to care so much about the destination, and simply enjoy the journey." David Archuleta
"And if they get out there they see, son of a bitch, this is a beautiful planet." Jim Whittaker
Phill the Thrill
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 60
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Phill the Thrill »

No, applications for lottery can be filed Feb 1 - Mar 15. I'm looking at May 20-22. I'll be in San Francisco for a conference through the 19th and would like to climb via Mountaineers Route (overnight) if all goes well.
"Everyone wants to live on top of the mountain, but all the happiness and growth occurs while you're climbing it." - Andy Rooney
Phill the Thrill
Trip Reports (6)

Here's the link to apply for a permit:
http://www.recreation.gov/permits/Mt_Wh ... rkId=72201" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Everyone wants to live on top of the mountain, but all the happiness and growth occurs while you're climbing it." - Andy Rooney
Phill the Thrill
Trip Reports (6)

Just discovered that overnight trips on Mountaineers Route are outside of the lottery and there is a different process for obtaining a permit:

http://www.recreation.gov/permits/North ... ntryType=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Only California could make it so complicated.
steelfrog
Trip Reports (0)

Post by steelfrog »

We did Whitney this last May and can basically guarantee that you can get a walk up permit at that time of year no problem
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

Hey Holliewd,

There is a chance I'll be in the area again around that timeframe and you probably wouldn't have to twist my arm too much to climb Whitney again. Which route are you contemplating? Main Trail or Mountaineers Route? That's a nice time to climb Whitney, though depending on the year, snow might be light on the Mountaineers Route, or could be perfect.

If you fail to get a permit (you should be fine then, since snow scares most folks away), you might want to check out Mt Langley to the south (bit less gain but more mileage). Another nice climb with far fewer people.
jwgrosser
14ers: 47  5  6 
13ers: 18 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jwgrosser »

Hollie,

My girlfriend and I are planning to do an overnight, summiting on May 23rd. We have a permit for the Mountaineers Route (When I reserved there was one left still). We also entered the lottery for the standard route as a backup in case something comes up (injuries, weather, gear problems, etc.) that would prevent us from the Mountaineers Route. The lottery is the lottery, but we figured it can't hurt to at least try.
Seems like we will be there a week or two before you are looking to climb but if you are interested feel free to shoot me a PM. Good Luck!
Coubjecruir
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Coubjecruir »

I've been up to the Sierra Nevadas a few times this winter and the conditions are very very dry! There's a good chance that there won't be significant snow up there at all by the end of may.
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

Yep, west of Utah 4th year severe drought.

http://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/ftpref/dat ... update.pdf
gurlyclimber
14ers: 34 
13ers: 109
Trip Reports (0)

Post by gurlyclimber »

Interested and available. PM sent.